Many people are basing their support for massive quarantine protocols on the "We don't know" principle surrounding the COVID-19 virus.

I think what we do know about the virus gives us all we need to know about controlling it. Let me explain....

The following facts are not disputed:

1) The virus strongly impacts the elderly and infirm almost exclusively. The average age of those who have died from COVID-19 is hovers in the 70s

2) The symptoms for the large majority of those who contract the illness, and become symptomatic, is similar to a mild flu.

3) The R0 of COVID-19 is about 2.5-3, suggesting it's nearly impossible to prevent spread to begin with.

So, here is my proposal:

Instead of focusing efforts on stopping the spread of the disease to everyone, and quarantining the sick, take a photo negative of that plan and ask those who are in good health, but in the high risk pool, to self quarantine and provide instruction to their care givers on how to maintain a contamination barrier (the usual hand washing, masks, etc. etc.). The funding for the response can be spent on supporting state and local agencies that already provide in-home care to the elderly.

I think this would be effective for two reasons:

1) It narrows the effort to just the population for whom COVID-19 is a real concern and...

2) Voluntary Quarantine is easier to maintain than forced quarantine.

Anyway, that is what I would do if I was King.