Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169922 - 05/23/20 02:59 PM Moneta. Part 1 Laburinthoio Potnia
Nik_Yura Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Russia
In the name of my Great Lady!

"It was during the Battle of Agincourt that Fedmahn Kassad encountered tne woman he would spend the rest of his life seeking.
Her hair was a dark nimbus... She wore a loose, thin gown which—even in the starlight—allowed him to see the outlines of her body. He caught her scent, the fragrant hint of soap and skin and her that he knew so well from their other times together.
- Your name? - Kassad asked as they left the building with the shattered dome and walked through a dead city.
- Moneta, - said his dream, - or Mnemosyne, whichever name pleases you more."
[1]

In Roman mythology, Moneta (Latin Monēta) was a title given to two separate goddesses: the goddess of memory (identified with the Greek goddess Mnemosyne) and an epithet of Juno, called Juno Moneta (Latin Iūno Monēta). The latter's name is source of numerous words in English and the Romance languages, including the words "money" and "mint". [2]

Juno (English: /ˈdʒuːnoʊ/ JOO-noh; Latin: IVNO, Iūnō [ˈjuːnoː]) is an ancient Roman goddess, the protector and special counselor of the state. A daughter of Saturn, she is the wife of Jupiter and the mother of Mars, Vulcan, Bellona and Juventas. She is the Roman equivalent of Hera, queen of the gods in Greek mythology.

According to the grammarian Servius (IV century ad), the word "Hera" (apparently in the language of the Pelasgians) means "earth", and "heroes" - children of the earth (Serv. Verg. Buc. IV 35).

-----------------------

Mnemosyne (/nɪˈmɒzɪniː, nɪˈmɒsɪniː/; Greek: Μνημοσύνη, pronounced [mnɛːmosýːnɛː]) is the goddess of memory in Greek mythology. "Mnemosyne" is derived from the same source as the word mnemonic, that being the Greek word mnēmē, which means "remembrance, memory".
Mnemosyne is the mother of the nine Muses.

It has Omniscience: according to Hesiod (Theogony, 32 38), it knows "all that has been, all that is, and all that will be." When the poet is possessed by the muses, he drinks from the source of Mnemosyne's knowledge; this means, first of all, that he touches the knowledge of the origins, the beginnings.

"The life of a poet lies not merely in the finite language-dance of expression but in the nearly infinite combinations of perception and memory combined with the sensitivity to what is perceived and remembered.
- Is it so important?
- Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, - gasped Silenus. He dropped the empty Scotch bottle, reached into his bag, and lifted out a handful of flimsies, holding them high as if offering them to the group. - Do you want to read it? Do you want me to read it to you? It’s flowing again. Read the old parts. Read the Cantos I wrote three centuries ago and never published. It’s all here. We’re all here. My name, yours, this trip. Don’t you see … I’m not creating a poem, I’m creating the future!"

-----------------

According to the Pausanias, in Lebadea (Boeotia), close to caves Trophonius, there were two sources: Lethe (oblivion) and Mnemosyne (memory).

"The river Lethe’s taste is bitter"

In Greek mythology, Lethe /ˈliːθiː/ (Greek: Λήθη, Lḗthē; Ancient Greek: [lɛ́:tʰɛː], Modern Greek: [ˈliθi]) was one of the five rivers of the underworld of Hades. Also known as the Ameles potamos (river of unmindfulness), the Lethe flowed around the cave of Hypnos and through the Underworld where all those who drank from it experienced complete forgetfulness. Lethe was also the name of the Greek spirit of forgetfulness and oblivion, with whom the river was often identified.
In Classical Greek, the word lethe (λήθη) literally means "oblivion", "forgetfulness", or "concealment". It is related to the Greek word for "truth", aletheia (ἀλήθεια), which through the privative alpha literally means "un-forgetfulness" or "un-concealment".
The shades of the dead were required to drink the waters of the Lethe in order to forget their earthly life. In the Aeneid, Virgil (VI.703-751) writes that it is only when the dead have had their memories erased by the Lethe that they may be reincarnated.

Lethe — a deity born of Eris. Sister of Hypnos and Thanatos. Called the mother of Dionysus, according to epigraphy, played a role in the Dionysian mysteries in Ephesus.

"OK, Rache, you just woke up. You’re confused. You don’t know how you got here. Well, something’s happened to you, kid. Listen up.
I’m recording this on the twelfth day of Tenmonth, year 457 of the Hegira, A.D. 2739 old reckoning. Yes, I know that’s half a standard year from the last thing you remember. Listen.
Something happened in the Sphinx. You got caught up in the time tide. It changed you. You’re aging backward, as dumb as that sounds. Your body’s getting younger every minute, although that’s not the important part right now. When you sleep … when we sleep … you forget. You lose another day from your memory before the accident, and you lose everything since. Don’t ask me why. The doctors don’t know. The experts don’t know. If you want an analogy, just think of a tapeworm virus … one of the old kind … that’s chewing up the data in your comlog … backward from the last entry.
They don’t know why the memory loss hits you when you sleep, either. They tried stay-awakes, but after about thirty hours you just go catatonic for a while and the virus does its thing anyway. So what the hell.
You know something? This talking about yourself In the third person is sort of therapeutic. Actually, I’m lying here waiting for them to take me up to imaging, knowing I’ll fall asleep when I get back … knowing I’ll forget everything again … and it scares the shit out of me.
OK, key the diskey for short-term and you get a prepared spiel here that should catch you up on everything since the accident. Oh … Mom and Dad are both here and they know about Melio. But I don’t know as much as I used to. When did we first make love with him, mmm? The second month on Hyperion? Then we have just a few weeks left, Rachel, and then we’ll be just acquaintances. Enjoy your memories while you can, girl."

--------------

Ariadne (/ˌæriˈædni/; Greek: Ἀριάδνη; Latin: Ariadne) was a Cretan princess in Greek mythology. Ariadne was the daughter of Minos, the King of Crete and son of Zeus, and of Pasiphaë, Minos' queen and daughter of Helios. Through her mother, Pasiphaë, she was also the half-sister of the Minotaur.
Minos put Ariadne in charge of the Labyrinth where sacrifices were made as part of reparations either to Poseidon or Athena, depending on the version of the myth; later, she helped Theseus conquer the Minotaur and save the victims from sacrifice.

When Theseus decided to kill the Minotaur (Ariadne's half-brother), to whom the Athenians, at the request of Ariadne's father, sent an annual shameful tribute of seven boys and seven girls, and thus rid the country of the monster, he received from Ariadne, who loved him, a ball of thread that led him out of the Labyrinth where the Minotaur lived (Daedalus taught her to use the thread).
According to another version, he escaped from the Labyrinth thanks to the radiance radiated by the crown of Ariadne.

"- We must ready ourselves, - whispered Moneta and the lighting shifted to a golden hue.
Kassad blinked as she raised a gold ferule and touched his chest. He felt a slight shock and his flesh became a mirror, his head and face a featureless ovoid reflecting all the color tones and textures of the room. A second later Moneta joined him, her body becoming a cascade of reflections, water over quicksilver over chrome. Kassad saw his own reflecting reflection in every curve and muscle of her body."

Having performed the feat, Theseus fled with Ariadne to the island of Naxos, where, according to one legend, Ariadne was killed by the arrows of Artemis, taught by Dionysus, for she married Theseus in a sacred grove, according to another — abandoned by Theseus and found by Dionysus, who married her.

The relationship between Ariadne and Dionysus did not find a plot projection in the "Cantos", but the myths demonstrate a greater significance of the Moneta-Silenus connection than in the text of the work.

The Mycenaean texts mention the goddess da-pu-ri-to-jo po-ti-ni-ja (Laburinthoio Potnia, "Mistress Of The Labyrinth").

"- At first I was victim, like so many, sent Moneta, her gaze returning to the valley. Then, far in our future, I saw why the Lord of Pain had been forged … had to be forged … and then I became both companion and keeper.
I monitored the time tides, made repairs to the machinery, and saw to it that the Lord of Pain did not awake before his time."

-----------------------

[1] - quotes from "Hyperion Cantos"

[2] - quotes from Wikipedia
------------------------

Her hair was a dark nimbus... She wore a loose, thin gown which—even in the starlight—allowed him to see the outlines of her body. He caught her scent, the fragrant hint of soap and skin and her that he knew so well from their other times together.

Golden Stigma

Let's love each other today,
We'll be shot dead tomorrow.
Do not try to determine why,
Do not try to grasp what it's for.
We will slip on the night dew in May,
And on slippery shadows in motion,
That cast a distressing sign
On golden stigma of yore.

Stand in the tall doorway arch,
Like a copper sculpture at ease,
Like ancient brass crucifix, please
Stand in the tall doorway arch...

I used to be king in the past,
And you were queen of my kingdom,
But shadow fell on a string,
And string has failed at the core.
And we've got nothing at last
From holy place and its wisdom,
But for the last love of king
And golden stigma of yore.

Stand in the tall doorway arch,
Like a copper sculpture at ease,
Like ancient brass crucifix, please
Stand in the tall doorway arch...

Author's translation page

Edited by Nik_Yura (05/23/20 03:43 PM)

#169925 - 05/25/20 04:17 AM Re: Moneta. Part 1 Laburinthoio Potnia [Re: Nik_Yura]
zaiyamariya Offline

Loc: AL
Nice article. From this article I could get some information about the relationship between Ariadne and Dionysus. helpful resources In Greek mythology Ariadne was the immortal wife of the wine-god Dionysus. This story may bring us to a close to those mysteriously ended relationships
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.027 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art