Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169711 - 03/09/20 04:40 PM Research and Organization
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Although I greatly appreciate the artistry involved in beautifully styling sentences and recognize the importance of careful plotting and characterization, I'm curious about what may seem a more pedestrian aspect of writing: how do professional authors like Dan Simmons or, say, Donald Westlake go about the process of researching and organizing the "background" information that give texture to their novels?

For example, I notice in Dan Simmons's Joe Kurtz novels and in Flashback, he uses a large number of real-world locations and events around Buffalo and Denver. (Mr. Westlake did something similar in the Parker novels.) Specific instances might be the descriptions of the Harbor Inn or the Cherry Creek Mall.

Similarly, in his (more) science fiction novels, Mr. Simmons uses a large number of complex concepts from theoretical physics, mathematics, materials science, genetics, et cetera.

How do authors go about discovering such information and then organizing it and all the "world-building" details they must assemble to create a realistic-seeming setting for the interaction of these multi-faceted characters (all expressed through those wonderfully-styled sentences)?

#169712 - 03/09/20 07:17 PM Re: Research and Organization [Re: ColinFraizer]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Loc: Earth

They read, read, read, and then read some more. How an individual author organizes that information, though, is probably a lot more unique.

#169718 - 03/11/20 09:58 AM Re: Research and Organization [Re: jmill]
charlly Offline
enthusiast

Loc: sydney
Some have a special skill in adding styles to the sentences and the characterization and the careful plotting is necessary for good writing. 4g Mobile Repeater Hence the researching and organizing play an important role in good writing. Thank you for this post.
#169783 - 04/13/20 06:52 AM Re: Research and Organization [Re: charlly]
ivaanadam Offline
enthusiast

Loc: fvf
I am so glad to read this post and it is really informative. cbd clinical trials autism It gives me more information about research and organization service providers. I think there are several good research paper writing service providers available online and they will provide several good quality writing services.

Edited by ivaanadam (04/13/20 06:52 AM)

#169932 - 05/26/20 07:47 AM Re: Research and Organization [Re: ColinFraizer]
Ryan_B_Abraham Offline
enthusiast

Loc: CA
Thanks for sharing the valuable information with us. In this post, the author provides some information about the research and organization. It gave me new information. You gave a detailed description and easy to understand the details. small business consulting firms Can you please share this kind of info.
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.035 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art