Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169644 - 01/28/20 04:19 AM Forum problems
ScottSA Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Canada
Is anyone else having problems with periodic outages of the forum? Half the time I get an error message.

#169645 - 01/28/20 03:45 PM Re: Forum problems [Re: ScottSA]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Loc: Earth

Not lately, but there have been various periods over the last few years where that has occurred.

I do have to say that I think our host's focus (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong) has shifted slightly to Facebook. A Facebook page is so much easier to post to and maintain than a website, and it hits so many more people. It's probably a more cost-effective use of the time he allots for communicating with readers and commenting on the world at large. I'm not saying cost figures into how Dan splits his time between the two places, it's just an observation, but the cost of maintaining and upgrading this website I'm sure is fairly expensive. Facebook is essentially free.

I am not a huge Facebook fan because it hasn't got such a definite structure as the website. It's a little hard to get the lay of the land with any particular topic of discussion. The website is organized more like my brain is organized, while Facebook seems more like a free-for-all. That's just me, though, I'm probably stuck in the past! (I do use Instagram regularly, though, as I find it an easier platform to "follow" than Facebook with all it's myriad options.)

#169646 - 01/28/20 04:19 PM Re: Forum problems [Re: jmill]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
I have noticed intermittent outages. None that I noticed has lasted more than an hour or two. I assume it's just glitches at the service provider.

I am not a Facebook fan, but Mr. Simmons's (perceived) shift to Facebook is one reason why I started to actually log in to it. Although the participation level on this forum seems to have dwindled [again, maybe just my perception], I prefer it to Facebook as it seems like a nice place for readers to interact.

Facebook cons:
1. I always feel as if I am intruding in Mr. Simmons's personal space when I post on his Facebook page.
2. Finding and conducting discussions on Facebook seems difficult to me.

I don't see much activity on Reddit's "r/DanSimmons" or "r/Hyperion".

#169649 - 01/28/20 08:02 PM Re: Forum problems [Re: ColinFraizer]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

This is how old-fashioned I am: I don't even know what "r/DanSimmons" means!

#169650 - 01/28/20 08:34 PM Re: Forum problems [Re: jmill]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Reddit calls each of its "groups" or "forums" [fora?] a "subreddit" or, informally, a "sub".

Each is reached through a URL (web address) that ends in "r/<group_name>"

So, you might your browser to
- https://reddit.com/r/DanSimmons
- https://reddit.com/r/Hyperion
- https://reddit.com/r/funny
- https://reddit.com/r/memes
- et cetera

Those groups are normally referenced in a "shorthand" of the Reddit community like "/r/DanSimmons" (with or without the leading "/").

By extension, individual users are usually mentioned as "/u/<user_name>" (again, the leading "/" is often omitted).

#169652 - 01/29/20 02:27 PM Re: Forum problems [Re: ColinFraizer]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Thanks for the explanation!

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art