Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169618 - 01/17/20 07:03 PM Metaphors I Like
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Unless someone tells me it is annoying or out of bounds, I'm going to occasionally reply to this post with metaphors I enjoy.
#169619 - 01/17/20 07:18 PM Re: Metaphors I Like [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

"eye full of business"

Examples:
 Quote:
He’d gone downstairs and out the door into the rain the previous night with the .38 in his palm and his eye full of business. If this was some bullshit set-up from Angelina Farino Ferrara, then let it happen.
Hard as Nails, Dan Simmons, 2015.

Quote:
The man-at-arms, who had just been thrown to the ground from a horse moving at full gallop and who was wearing sixty pounds of clumsy armor, should have been an easy prey to catch. He was not. The Frenchman glanced back once, saw Kassad coming on a full run with a mallet in his hand and his eye full of business, and then the man-at-arms shifted into a higher gear and reached the trees fifteen meters ahead of his pursuer.
Hyperion, Dan Simmons, 1989.

Quote:
Well, Smith he stood just there, and my grandfather he stood just here, you know, and he was a-bendin' down just so, fumblin' in the grass, and when the old ram see him in that attitude he took it fur an invitation—and here he come! down the slope thirty mile an hour and his eye full of business.
Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 3: The Complete and Authoritative Edition, Mark Twain, published 2001 ??

#169637 - 01/26/20 07:13 AM Re: Metaphors I Like [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

"rot like Miss Havisham's wedding cake"

Quote:
Left to the elements, all those amazing structures you're admiring are going to melt and rot like Miss Havisham's wedding cake in a year or less.

The Fifth Heart, Dan Simmons, 2015.

This does give me a craving for a good pork pie.

Edited by ColinFraizer (01/26/20 07:16 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art