Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169617 - 01/17/20 07:01 PM The Crook Factory
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
This week I started reading The Crook Factory, the 2003 novel by Dan Simmons. I had purchased it long ago, but never quite gotten around to picking it up and reading it.

I wish I had started reading it earlier! It is a novel peopled by real-world characters and set in 1942 and centered around Ernest Hemingway. I'm certain you'll love it.

It is available from Amazon and an audio edition, narrated by Patrick Lawlor, is available from Audible.

In some ways, it reminds me of the novels of Thomas Mallon, e.g., Finale: A Novel of the Reagan Years and Watergate: A Novel.

NOTE: Never trust Amazon or Google Books for publication dates.

Edited by ColinFraizer (01/17/20 07:12 PM)

#169626 - 01/20/20 06:53 PM Re: The Crook Factory [Re: ColinFraizer]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
The Crook Factory would make a GREAT film, in the hands of a good screen-writer, director and and film company.

#169628 - 01/20/20 11:17 PM Re: The Crook Factory [Re: steele,rick]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
 Originally Posted By: steele,rick
The Crook Factory would make a GREAT film, in the hands of a good screen-writer, director and and film company.

There was a screenplay written for it by Nicholas Meyer. I haven't read the whole thing through but what I have looks decent.

Greg

#169630 - 01/21/20 10:10 PM Re: The Crook Factory [Re: Shrike1]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: Shrike1
 Originally Posted By: steele,rick

There was a screenplay written for it by Nicholas Meyer. I haven't read the whole thing through but what I have looks decent.

Greg

Not saying that this is where Dan got the title, and don't ask, but once years ago we were in a little restaurant in Rangoon, a tiny little place, and I swear they had something like eight cooks in there, and some waitresses, and it was jumpin' and really noisy, and I said, "This joint is a real cook factory." And Dan leaned forward and said "Crook factory? Crook? . . ." And in the din, I said a little louder, "No, no, cook ... cook factory." And he got the strangest look on his face and sat back, and said, "Oh."

#169631 - 01/22/20 06:57 PM Re: The Crook Factory [Re: Enright]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
If you've recently read C.F., the following 'newspaper story' may interest you.

"Suicide Stumps FBI

By Ben Stuart
Copyright 1998, Idaho Statesman

The identity of a man found dead in Ketchum last month remains unknown, even to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. In the latest twist in the month long mystery, the FBI has apparently closed the investigation and reported the case as a death of an “unknown person”.

The case started last month when visitors to the grave of writer Ernest Hemingway in the Ketchum Cemetery reported a coyote running through the cemetery carrying what looked like a human hand.

After a search of the area by Blaine County Sheriff’s department produced no results, a cadaver dog was brought in from Boise. Within 30 minutes of the arrival of the dog, sheriff’s officials had located the decomposing remains of a man. Blaine County spokesman reported that the man was elderly and apparently died of a self-inflicted gun shot to his head.

After further searching of the Ketchum Cemetery, the sheriff’s department recovered a rental car in the parking lot. The Sheriff’s department reported irregularities in the registration and identification found in the car. The week after the body was found, the FBI was brought into the case.

During the first press conference, Denver FBI Special Agent Dan Andros reported that the car was rented to a man named “Ernest J. Hoover”. Mr. Andros reported that the drivers license and passport found at the scene belonged to a man named “Edgar Hemingway”. When reporters at the press conference asked about the apparent connection between former FBI Chief, J. Edgar Hoover and the late writer Ernest Hemingway, Mr. Andros refused to comment.

Following the press conference, the FBI collected all physical evidence of the case, including the body, the car and the weapon and departed Ketchum. Although an autopsy was performed in Ketchum, the report was removed by the FBI, stating security reasons.

An anonymous morgue worker reported to the Idaho Statesman that the results of the autopsy showed that the man had died of a 38-caliper gunshot wound to the head. The morgue worker described the wound as ‘passing through the soft pallet of the mouth’.

Another anonymous Sheriff’s department staff member reported to the Statesman that a computer was recovered inside the rental car, but that it was also taken by the FBI. Following numerous telephone calls and written requests to the feds, the FBI released a written statement yesterday, stating that the case has been closed as an unknown death. The statement also reported that the laptop computer recovered from the rental car was not readable, due to the heat inside the rental car."

#169635 - 01/25/20 05:58 AM Re: The Crook Factory [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

So, having greatly enjoyed The Crook Factory, I proceeded immediately to start reading The Fifth Heart, an amazingly rich novel incorporating so much history that I keep interrupting my reading to dig into the overlapping threads Mr. Simmons has woven into it.

One scene—a carriage ride with Henry Adams, Henry James, and Sherlock Holmes—has so many historical references and anecdotes that it could occupy me for months. Among the many stories Adams relays is that of Henry Rathbone. [Was there some shortage of Christian names in the 19th century? Did they not hanker for some variety?]

Anyway, coincidentally, I remembered that Thomas Mallon, of whose historical novels I was reminded by The Crook Factory, had also written a novel Henry and Clara about the lives of Rathbone and his fiancée, later wife, Clara Harris.

[I hope it's not rude of me to mention other novelists ("the competition"?) here.]

#169636 - 01/25/20 07:25 AM Re: The Crook Factory [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Some of you might find this picture of the interior of John Hay's home interesting: [img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/37603091@N02/3726193303/in/photostream/[/img]

Or this article describing the Hay and Adams homes and the architectural features that were preserved after their demolition:
Hay and Adams Homes.

#169753 - 03/25/20 06:13 AM Re: The Crook Factory [Re: ColinFraizer]
charlly Online   content

Loc: sydney
I am so excited to read the book named "The crook factory" by Dan Simmons. I just love to read thriller tales and to watch thriller movies. driver unavailable So I am collecting the details of such books and movies from these kinds of sites.
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art