Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#169569 - 01/01/20 05:08 PM What brought you to Dan Simmons?
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
My best childhood friend recommended Hyperion when we were in college. After Hyperion, I was hooked on the series, but remained ignorant of Mr. Simmons's other novels.

The friend and I had both loved The Iliad and The Odyssey in high school and, when we were both biochemistry students, fulfilled degree requirements by taking classes where we read a bunch of Greek plays, Dante [English translations], and Chaucer[oh, how I longed for English translation].

The mix of sci-fi and relationship to classic literature made Hyperion irresistible to us. Later, Ilium and Olympos had the same sort of appeal for me.

It was only when an online friend recommended Flashback, that I began reading Mr. Simmons's other novels. It metastasized into a bit of an obsession.

Other favorites (in no particular order) include:
- The three Joe Kurtz novels.
- Drood

#169573 - 01/01/20 07:23 PM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: ColinFraizer]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
 Originally Posted By: ColinFraizer
My best childhood friend recommended Hyperion when we were in college. After Hyperion, I was hooked on the series, but remained ignorant of Mr. Simmons's other novels.

The friend and I had both loved The Iliad and The Odyssey in high school and, when we were both biochemistry students, fulfilled degree requirements by taking classes where we read a bunch of Greek plays, Dante [English translations], and Chaucer[oh, how I longed for English translation].

The mix of sci-fi and relationship to classic literature made Hyperion irresistible to us. Later, Ilium and Olympos had the same sort of appeal for me.

It was only when an online friend recommended Flashback, that I began reading Mr. Simmons's other novels. It metastasized into a bit of an obsession.

Other favorites (in no particular order) include:
- The three Joe Kurtz novels.
- Drood

Besides being a police officer my dad worked the midnight shift on weekends at the local hospital as a security guard and he and a few others swapped paperbacks to read when they werenít needed to deal with rude, drunken patients coming in overnight.

This was a few years after my accident (flipped my dadís truck, became quadriplegic) and I was bored as hell sitting around doing much of nothing. I hadnít been a reader during high school and probably never would have been except my younger brother convinced me to try one of my dadís books he kept in a box beside his recliner. The first book was a horror novel by Dean Koontz called WHISPERS and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was the second book that made me become a reader though. It was CARRION COMFORT by Dan Simmons and it completely blew my mind. The characters were so real and the plot and subject matter, while fantastic and impossible, seemed somehow actually believable.

After that I bought every Simmons novel I could find and read them all. I even began collecting limited editions. I have read some of these books several times each but the best thing I can say is that because of his books I am now an avid reader and at the time I started I would never have believed that possible.

Greg

#169575 - 01/04/20 08:07 AM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: Shrike1]
springer2 Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Temecula, CA
CARRION COMFORT for me. Back in '95 while in college. I'd been a big reader for years. Mostly Stephen King and Dean Koontz and some fantasy. I picked up CC because of the blurb from Stephen King and was blown away. Dan immediately became my favorite writer and remains so to this day.

Springer

#169576 - 01/04/20 05:54 PM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: springer2]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

I've only read one Dean Koontz novelóIntensityóand it nearly gave me heart attacks. It really lived up to its title.

Any others that you'd recommend?

(My youngest daughter loves horror novels and movies, but I always pretend to mishear when she asks to watch a movie. "Okay, how about Pretty Woman? Risky Business? Night Shift?")

#169577 - 01/04/20 06:17 PM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: ColinFraizer]
springer2 Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Temecula, CA
I haven't read Koontz in quite a few years but my favorite back in the day was WATCHERS. I also remember really enjoying STRANGERS and HIDEAWAY. I read a lot of his early nineties stuff before kind of getting away from him. LIGHTNING, THE BAD PLACE, DRAGON TEARS, MR. MURDER and DARK RIVERS OF THE HEART were all enjoyable.

If I remember correctly most of his stuff around that period were thrillers with usually a little supernatural element but not always.

Springer

#169578 - 01/04/20 08:01 PM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Greg, do you have a favorite DS novel? I never thought I'd say this, because Hyperion was my overall favorite novel for years, but Ilium may surpass it.

And I've developed an addiction to the Joe Kurtz novels.

Edited by ColinFraizer (01/04/20 08:02 PM)

#169579 - 01/04/20 09:00 PM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: springer2]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

I haven't read Dean Koontz in quite a while either, but some of my favorites besides those you mentioned are: TWILIGHT EYES, MIDNIGHT, PHANTOMS & SHADOWFIRES.

INTENSITY was really good as well. Some foreign company made a movie out of it and it was a very good movie but they didn't give Dean Koontz any credit.

Greg

#169580 - 01/04/20 09:24 PM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: ColinFraizer]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: ColinFraizer
Greg, do you have a favorite DS novel? I never thought I'd say this, because Hyperion was my overall favorite novel for years, but Ilium may surpass it.

And I've developed an addiction to the Joe Kurtz novels.

Itís Danís fault for writing in so many different genres, but I have multiple favorites. I would put CARRION COMFORT, HYPERION (4 books) and PHASES OF GRAVITY at the very top of my favorites.

Right below those would go, SUMMER OF NIGHT, THE HOLLOW MAN, ILIUM & OLYMPOS, THE CROOK FACTORY and THE TERROR.

Even naming that many leaves off some very, very good novels. I really enjoyed the Joe Kurtz ďHardĒ novels and hope the forth book comes into reality one of these days.

The only novel that I didnít connect with very much is DARWINíS BLADE. It was released prior to the Kurtz books and it seemed to be trying to do the hard boiled thing but it just didnít work for me. I think I will reread it someday to see if it gets a better review this time.

Greg

#169590 - 01/07/20 08:37 PM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: Shrike1]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
"Dreams with Sharp Teeth", the movie with the Late Great Harlan Ellison and his description of the writing contest, both the looser and the winner......Dan Simmons.

#169751 - 03/24/20 01:35 PM Re: What brought you to Dan Simmons? [Re: steele,rick]
mosesantony2013 Offline

Loc: Tamil nadu
This is an amazing page that Cellular Signal Booster everyone will love to use it. It is much more famous than it is too good for people to make use of situations. And not only that everyone will love using this site as well.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art