Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169497 - 12/23/19 09:03 PM Rise of Endymion, Messiahs, and Name Changes…
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
If
 Code:
Jesus(Saul) → Paul
then shouldn't
 Code:
Aenea(Raul) → Oaul
?

Edited by ColinFraizer (12/23/19 09:59 PM)

#169507 - 12/26/19 04:42 PM [Re: ColinFraizer]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Loc: Earth

You've lost me. More hints, or clues, or whatever.

#169551 - 12/29/19 02:25 PM Re: [Re: jmill]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Odd, when I posted this using the "right arrow" symbol, it looked like a "right arrow" on my screen.

I edited the post to replace that character with '=', but that just changed the title of the post to an empty string. (Which makes it almost impossible to click on and fix. Once I finally figured out how to fix that, I noticed that the original edit disappeared.)

I was thinking in terms of the application of a mathematical function. So, I might have a function like f(x) = 2x so f(2) = 4 and f(5) = 10. [You can read that as "f of x is 2x and f of 2 is 4 and f of 5 is 10" or as "The application of f to 2 is 4."]

Similarly, if I have a function named 'Jesus' such that the application of that function Jesus(Saul) = Paul, that is, "The application of Jesus to Saul is Paul." [If I remember my long-ago Sunday school lessons, once Saul met Jesus, his name became Paul.]

…N O P Q R S T U V…

So, after meeting his messiah, Saul replaced the first letter of his name by the letter 3 positions earlier in the alphabet.

By analogy, I was thinking that, when the character Raul Endymion met the messiah Aenea, shouldn't his name have changed to "Oaul"?

It was just a weird passing thought.

#169552 - 12/29/19 02:28 PM Re: [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

[Interestingly, when I click on "Topics" above, it shows the latest messages in each of the three fora. My reply above appears as "Re: " [sic, complete]. That is, at least part of the system still thinks my post has no title. I expected to see "Re: Rise of Endymion, Messiahs, and Name Changes…".]
#169555 - 12/29/19 06:46 PM Re: [Re: ColinFraizer]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
I'll look into the glitch.

-- Dan

#169559 - 12/30/19 07:56 AM Re: [Re: Dan Simmons]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

(1) It's great to know that you're alive! I hope you and your family have had a happy holiday season.

(2) I cringe at the thought of you spending your time on such a thing. If I can be of any help, I would be happy contribute. [Debugging software I can do! Writing novels is like magic to me—with yours being enchanted classics!]

I've been re-reading the Joe Kurtz novels over the last couple weeks and marveling at the level of local color and background you included. It reminded me of similar local details included in Flashback. How do you research the real-world settings you use in your novels? Did you spend time living in Buffalo? Denver?

[I've never been to, say, TC² or Mare Infinitus, but I assume inventing entire worlds is a different skill from capturing local anecdotes, attitudes, landmarks, and shibboleths of real-world places. At least, I assume you don't get angry letters from Chitchatuk tribesmen about the realism of your portrayal of their lives.]

#169581 - 01/05/20 07:34 PM Re: [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

I assume our beloved host has returned to cryosleep in his crystal coffin, but—like Savi—I imagine he watches. I can't wait for my fifth 20, so I can party in the Rings with Dan-Uhr.
#169589 - 01/07/20 08:35 PM Re: [Re: ColinFraizer]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
I don't know nuthin' bout no Crystal Coffins, but Dan is alive and well....on Facebook. Ornery as ever!

#169742 - 03/23/20 02:12 PM Re: [Re: steele,rick]
mosesantony2013 Offline

Loc: Tamil nadu
I am a regular visitor to this site. I feel like Personal Injury Lawyers Near Me shopping on this site all the time. It is much convenient to use. You will love using it once if you have done any shopping. There is everything available in it.
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art