Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169399 - 10/24/19 04:55 PM The classic Everest Base Camp Trek
TrangoAdventure Offline

Loc: Berkshire, UK
Dan Simmons writes --

In truth, I've long been interested in hikes into Everest Base Camp. But this posting was an ad, and I don't allow ads on the forum. So it's gone.

But for those who wish to discuss hikes to Everest, you're welcome to post.

DS

Edited by Dan Simmons (12/28/19 07:26 PM)
Edit Reason: it was an ad

#169400 - 10/25/19 06:26 PM Re: The classic Everest Base Camp Trek [Re: TrangoAdventure]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Thanks for the info, Tango. BTW, if I were on a trek to Nepal, I would not go Vegan. My body would be suffering from altitude adjustment. In order to burn the calories necessary to make your body go, you need meat. Lots and lots of RED meat. Perhaps chicken in a pinch. I'm happy to hear that "Each Step from the trek will be an outing and fun." I was worried that I would be slogging along step by painful step at 19,000 feet wheezing for some air wishing I were dead.

So they charge $100 per liter of water? That's steep. Almost as steep as the Hillary Step.

#169401 - 10/25/19 08:24 PM Re: The classic Everest Base Camp Trek [Re: steele,rick]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

I think this is an ad for TrangoAdventures.com, Rick.

#169517 - 12/28/19 04:00 AM Re: The classic Everest Base Camp Trek [Re: steele,rick]
CharlesEGrant Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Rick, I just made this trip in November. There is no refigeration in the Khumbu valley, and all the meat is transported on the backs of porters or pack animals. Once you've seen an imperfectly covered load of meat heading up a trail rich in donkey and yak dung, meat seems a lot less attractive. I'm a big meat eater at home, but I went veggie for the duration of my trek. The #1 dish in Nepal is dal bhat, which is lentil soup over rice with a side of curried vegetables. There is plenty of protein in the lentils to get you through the trip. I actually gained 3 pounds during the trek.

The hiking is not particularly hard if you are a regular hiker in the mountains, but I'd recommend doing your best to get in good physical shape. On the way up my longest day was about 7 miles, but it also involved gaining about 2500 feet largely on stairs. Many folks find the stairs hard on their knee joints, glutes and quads.

Altitude sickness is a crapshoot. I am in my 60's, a regular mountain hiker, and took Diamox starting the night before the trek in Kathmandu. I didn't have so much as a headache, but I met fitter and younger folks who had to turn around and go down. Being fit doesn't in itself grant immunity from altitude sickness. However, there does seem to be a connection with over-exertion. The fitter you are when you arrive, the less chance that hiking the usual itinerary will cause enough stress to trigger altitude sickness. Be sure to stay hydrated too.

A liter of hot water typically runs between $1 and $2.50. Prices get higher as you gain altitude. I brought along a UV pen which I used on tap water and I had no gastro-intestinal problems on the trip.

The trek to EBC is an amazing outdoor adventure, but it is not a wilderness experience. During the high season 100 people a day will be starting the trek from Lukla. The trail is quite crowded with trekkers, guides, porters, and trains of pack animals, bringing up food and drink for the trekkers. Be patient, go with the flow. The mountains are incredible, the Nepalese are very courteous hosts, and you can meet fascinating people from all over the world.

#169593 - 01/07/20 08:47 PM Re: The classic Everest Base Camp Trek [Re: CharlesEGrant]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Thanks for your description, Charles. Based on the recent stories of Everest, I would hope the guides also bring down loads of trash and the occasional (or maybe more than occasional) dead body.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art