Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169392 - 10/21/19 03:59 AM "Summer of Night": Map of Elm Haven?
Se7en Offline

Loc: Kanuckistan
Hello all,

Longtime of fan of Simmons' work (well, mid 1990s, long enough), and I've lurked here on and off a couple years. Anyway, perhaps an odd question, but is there a map of Elm Haven, Illinois? Did Dan perhaps at least create a rough one during the writing process?

I've been rereading Summer of Night for about the 5th time now, and from the very few hints here and there in the text I can almost but not quite picture the layout in my head. Maybe I'm just a giant nerd, but I find maps fascinating, all the moreso when they're of nonexistent places. I've tried to create a rough map myself, but either I'm too stupid or there just isn't quite enough info given in the book itself. I've even pored over Brimfield, IL (the basis for Elm Haven) in Google Earth just to see what the analogues to Depot St. or Catton Rd. or Calvary Cemetery might be... Or where Mike's place might be in relation to Duane's farm out on the highway, and so on. In my research I managed to find an interesting picture of the the original Old Central school in Brimfield courtesy of their historical society, but very little to aid in mapping 'Elm Haven'. Surely I can't be the only one to wonder at the layout of the town and general area?

If you happen to read this Mr. Simmons, I'll also take this opportunity to thank you for all your work. Summer of Night is one of my all time favorite novels, and IMHO much superior to King's "It" besides. Just criminally underrated and mostly forgotten in It's shadow. Speaking of which, there's several maps of Derry out there ;\)

Edited by Se7en (10/21/19 04:02 AM)

#169394 - 10/21/19 08:23 PM Re: "Summer of Night": Map of Elm Haven? [Re: Se7en]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Now I have to reread SUMMER OF NIGHT...

Why don't you create a map and send it to Dan to post on the website?

#169395 - 10/21/19 09:13 PM Re: "Summer of Night": Map of Elm Haven? [Re: jmill]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

p.s. - I re-watched Se7en just yesterday. Great movie!

#169396 - 10/22/19 07:05 AM Re: "Summer of Night": Map of Elm Haven? [Re: jmill]
Se7en Offline

Yup, Se7en's a classic. As to the map, I tried... there's just not enough specific info given in the book. That or I'm not smart enough to put it together well enough. Usually authors who take the time to include locational tidbits here and there such as which direction characters walked, or like "X lived two streets over from Y on Z road" have made their own map. That way everything stays consistent during the writing process. Just a lot harder than it looks to create something coherent out of such occasional and oblique references.

I mean I could make something up, but besides the school and a house or two mentioned as being directly across from it, I'd be lost as to where the other mentioned locations are in relation to it due to lack of info.

I was kind of hoping on the slim chance Dan himself might have an 'official' one, even a very rough outline, he might consider posting \:\)

Also, yes, it's definitely worth a re-read. The audiobook version is pretty good as well, and makes great listening on long night drives this time of year.

Edited by Se7en (10/22/19 07:09 AM)

#169397 - 10/22/19 05:24 PM Re: "Summer of Night": Map of Elm Haven? [Re: Se7en]
Shrike1 Online   content
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
I know I couldn't do it, but from my multiple readings of SON I think it would be possible to get a pretty accurate map. I know Simmons included a lot of directions and locations of a lot of the main landscape. Even in the scene where the boys are riding on their bikes and getting up the nerve to go up to the Ashley Mansion to "touch the stairway” I think I remember specific directions. Here we go from my iBook (I hope this is okay not a copyright infringement)…

"They paused there a moment on the quiet street. First Avenue continued past Mike’s house out into countryside, north to the water tower a quarter of a mile, and then turning east until it disappeared in the evening haze above the fields near the horizon where the woods and Gypsy Lane and the Black Tree Tavern waited out of sight.

The sky was a softly burnished shield of gray, fading now in the hour between sunset and dark, and the corn in the fields was low, not yet up to an eleven-year-old’s knees. Dale looked out over the fields that stretched east past distance-softened horizons of trees and imagined Peoria there—thirty-eight miles away beyond the hills and valleys and stretches of timber, lying in its own river valley and glowing with a thousand lights—but there was no glow there, only a quickly darkening horizon, and he could not really imagine the city. Instead he heard the soft rustle and whisper of the corn. There was no breeze. Perhaps it was the sound of the corn growing, thrusting its way up to become the wall that would soon surround Elm Haven and seal it off from the world.

“Come on,” Mike said softly and stood on the pedals, leaning far forward over his handlebars and taking off in a shower of gravel.

Dale and Lawrence and Kevin and Harlen followed.

They rode south down First Avenue in the soft gray light, moving under elm shadow and emerging quickly into open twilight. The low fields lay open to their left, the dark houses to their right. Past School Street and the hint of Donna Lou Perry’s house glowing a block to the west. Past Church Street and its long corridor of elms and oaks. And then they were at the Hard Road, Highway 151 A, and slowing out of habit before swinging right onto the empty but still-warm pavement of the two-lane main street.

They pedaled furiously, swinging up onto the sidewalk after the first block to let an old Buick roar past. They were riding west now, toward the glow in the sky, and the building fronts on the two blocks of Main Street gleamed in the fading light. A pickup truck pulled out of the diagonal parking in front of Carl’s Tavern on the south side of the street and weaved toward them down the Hard Road. Dale recognized the driver of the old GM truck as Duane McBride’s dad. The driver was drunk.

“Lights!” shouted all five boys as they pedaled past. The pickup continued on without headlights or taillights, making a wide turn up First Avenue behind them.
They jumped from the raised sidewalk to the empty Hard Road and continued west past Second Avenue and Third, past the bank and the A&P on their right, past the Parkside Cafe and Bandstand Park all dark and quiet under the elms to their left. It felt like Saturday night but it was only Thursday. No Free Show illuminated the night with its light and noise in the park. Not yet. But soon enough.

Mike hollered and swung left down Broad Avenue along the north end of the small park, past the tractor dealership and the small houses clustered there. It was getting dark in earnest now. Behind them, the tall streetlight flicked on along Main Street, illuminating the two blocks of downtown. Broad Avenue was a quickly darkening tunnel under the elms at their backs, an even darker tunnel in front of them.

“Touch the stairway!” shouted Mike”

Excerpt From: Dan Simmons. “Summer of Night.” Apple Books. https://books.apple.com/us/book/summer-of-night/id428236085 "

In addition, A WINTER HAUNTING my also be of some help, have you read it? Takes place in Elm Haven at the turn-of-the-century 1999 or 2000 I believe. Also the story, "Elm Haven, Illinois" is set right there and involves Michael O'Rourke after SON, but before CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT.

Greg

#169427 - 11/10/19 10:53 AM Re: "Summer of Night": Map of Elm Haven? [Re: Shrike1]
Se7en Offline

Exactly, the very fact that there's such description of particular streets and directions leads me to think Dan had at least a rough map of the area. From what I understand it's pretty common practice for authors, otherwise inconsistencies to creep into the story.

I have read 'Winter', but not 'Elm Haven' as yet, so thanks as I wasn't aware of that one. All that being said, I'm likely just not enough of a cartographer to extrapolate the references into a map myself.

I hate to mention Stephen King's "It" here of all places ('Summer' was a better book!), but there's been a few very accurate maps made of Derry, Maine. However, King included much more specific references ie; "Witcham St. ran North through the middle of town and intersected with Up Mile Hill just across from the Barrens, which began at Bandstand Park and extended West two miles until the town dump" or "Beverly's house was the third one along Pine St., just across from the secondhand store in the Old Cape section of town" and on and on and on. Those aren't accurate quotes, but just to illustrate the tons of information King wrote in on the town itself. With that much detail it's easy to make a decent map. I actually did make a couple maps of Derry years ago, and even my poor efforts ended up pretty close to what later became the semi-official versions which IIRC King himself endorsed.

Thanks again for the note on "Elm Haven, Illinois", I'll have to find a copy and maybe it'll give me more to go on. Of course I want to read it for it's own sake anyway; I just finished Fires of Eden and thought I was all out of any more stories with those characters.

Edited by Se7en (11/10/19 10:56 AM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art