Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169372 - 10/09/19 02:06 AM On "Children's Literature"
ThatMcKenzie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
Philip Pullman writes an interesting piece about the people who like to say that the rest of us are reading for the wrong reasons (emphasis in the original)

"But the guards on the border won’t have any of that. They are very fierce and stern. They strut up and down with a fine contempt, curling their lips and consulting their clipboards and snapping out orders. They’ve got a lot to do, because at the moment this is an area of great international tension. These days a lot of adults are talking about children’s books. Sometimes they do so in order to deplore the fact that so many other adults are reading them, and are obviously becoming infantilized, because of course children’s books—I quote from a recent article in The Independent—'cannot hope to come close to truths about moral, sexual, social or political' matters. Whereas in even the 'flimsiest of science fiction or the nastiest of horror stories . . . there is an understanding of complex human psychologies,' 'there is no such psychological understanding in children’s novels,' and furthermore 'there are nice clean white lines painted between the good guys and the evil ones'"

https://lithub.com/philip-pullman-on-childrens-literature-and-the-critics-who-disdain-it/

For my own part, I discovered Dune at nine. It was about then that I was enjoying the "sociological" works, of course, but I was paying attention to the Big Ideas and the stylistic choices as much as anything.

Edited by ThatMcKenzie (10/09/19 02:07 AM)

#169421 - 11/07/19 08:35 PM Re: On "Children's Literature" [Re: ThatMcKenzie]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
This is an interesting topic I plan to revisit. Time limited at the moment, but will be back, and will mull over in my poor old mind in the meantime. Thank you for posting this.
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art