steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
"All the single ladies, all the single ladies....."

#169419 - 11/07/19 08:31 PM Re: Farewell? [Re: steele,rick]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Greg, we had some really fun times here and I will miss you for sure!

I hope you will stick around, but should you decide otherwise, I wish you a smooth and lovely road ahead.

Fondly, Auntie

#169530 - 12/28/19 08:04 PM Re: Farewell? [Re: AuntJobiska]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan S. comments:

I'm glad that Greg decided to stay on the forum (and to stay feisty).

As far as unfriending folks on Facebook -- I have somewhere around 3,000 "friends" on that wonderful Satan's playpen of a shallow social media site. My only rule on there is that I'll put up with almost any differing opinion (i.e. differing from my own opinion or from sanity itself) but if they decide to insult me, they're gone. I simply don't have time or interest in sponsoring the abuse.

Some months ago on Facebook I did a posting (well, a rant . . . I was fighting a kidney stone at the time, but that's no excuse) calling Greta Thunberg a "brat" and promptly received hundreds of personal attacks, insults, and more than a handful of threats. A few of the offended promised to burn my books and some of them contacted my publisher(s) and demanded that they quit publishing my work. It was my first personal experience with the new Cancel Culture and while it didn't much bother me on a personal level, it did give me a frightening glimpse of how venomous social media trolls can be and how infinitely empowered they've (falsely) come to believe they are.

The only thing I've strongly reacted to from the last few months of opinions on this forum -- other than my pleasure that people I really enjoy have continued to post here -- was the statement by one person that "I have no problem with [Adam] Schiff"

I despise that pop-eyed liar and heir to the Joseph McCarthy Dangerous Demagogue Award so much that I'd go 15 rounds with any purebred, full-time Trump Hater who presumes to give that snake-weasel Schiff even the benefit of a doubt. This is also one of the reasons that I don't jump into the (usually wonderfully civil and often enlightening) posts that have continued on this forum.

I hope the forum itself lives long and prospers. And ditto to its faithful interlocutors.

DS

#169532 - 12/28/19 09:57 PM Re: Farewell? [Re: Dan Simmons]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
 Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons
Dan S. comments:

I'm glad that Greg decided to stay on the forum (and to stay feisty).

The only thing I've strongly reacted to from the last few months of opinions on this forum -- other than my pleasure that people I really enjoy have continued to post here -- was the statement by one person that "I have no problem with [Adam] Schiff" DS

And of course that person was feisty me! Who would have guessed?

BTW, still hoping for OMEGA CANYON in the near future.

Greg

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art