Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#169289 - 08/09/19 01:05 PM The Terror Season 2?
bsabiston Offline

Loc: Austin TX
Was Dan involved in Season 2 of the AMC show? I came here to see if there was any talk about it, but I don't see any? Just wondering if he had input and what he thinks of it... I thought they did a great job bringing the book to TV for season 1.
#169290 - 08/09/19 03:42 PM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: bsabiston]
Shrike1 Online   content
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
 Originally Posted By: bsabiston
Was Dan involved in Season 2 of the AMC show? I came here to see if there was any talk about it, but I don't see any? Just wondering if he had input and what he thinks of it... I thought they did a great job bringing the book to TV for season 1.

The only part of season two that Dan Simmons has a part in is the main title of the show. THE TERROR. The show, from the beginning was going to be an anthology series using different stories each year.

I believe there was hope that other stories by Dan would be used for season two or maybe other seasons, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Greg

#169291 - 08/11/19 05:13 PM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: Shrike1]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

There may be the possibility that another of Dan's books might be used, but I suspect that there are a lot of different factors that would go into that decision. For one thing, I read somewhere that AMC considers the series to be historical fiction, so if they're going to stay in that vein, then they would have to use one of Dan's novels with an historical basis and an element of horror. This would tend to leave out a fair bit of his material. SONG OF KALI might fit in with that idea, if you consider Calcutta in the 1970s historical enough to satisfy the history angle. I think BLACK HILLS would fit nicely, and so would DROOD.

I'd love to see CARRION COMFORT or SUMMER OF NIGHT done in ten episodes. I suppose you could make an argument that CARRION COMFORT has the WWII angle, and if I remember right there are some instances of the abilities of the villains in the book colliding with actual historical events. SUMMER OF NIGHT wouldn't seem to be quite as easy to justify if history is one of the backbones of their selection criteria. THE CROOK FACTORY would be perfect, historically speaking, but there's no horror angle that I recall.

#169292 - 08/11/19 07:49 PM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: jmill]
Shrike1 Online   content
veteran

I believe I agree with everything you mentioned. Another rare occasion. But, as a goof, SUMMER OF NIGHT could be used because of the H.M.S Erebus connection.

Back in 1876, according to SUMMER OF NIGHT, the H.M.S. Erebus delivered the Borgia Bell to America before it eventually found its way to Elm Haven, Illinois.

Oddly, this ship disappeared some 30 years earlier while searching for the Northwest passage… (insert Twilight Zone music here)

Greg

#169293 - 08/12/19 12:30 AM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: Shrike1]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Ooooh, creepy! Haha!

#169294 - 08/12/19 12:54 PM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: jmill]
Happy Birthday steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
The Crook Factory should be a stand-alone film. Either a 10-part series a la Terror, or a theatrical film release. Who will play Hemmingway?

#169295 - 08/12/19 02:13 PM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: steele,rick]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Who'll play Hemingway?!? Me! It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!

#169296 - 08/12/19 03:35 PM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: jmill]
Shrike1 Online   content
veteran

I still have the screenplay written by Nicholas Meyer that I found somewhere online years ago. I have not read it all the way through, but I did skim through parts of it and it looks pretty good. Of course I have no idea what a good or bad script looks like… so take that for what it is.

Greg

#169297 - 08/12/19 05:25 PM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: Shrike1]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

If you could find a way to provide that script (without violating copyrights of course) that would be a fun read.

#169298 - 08/12/19 07:24 PM Re: The Terror Season 2? [Re: jmill]
Shrike1 Online   content
veteran

Originally Posted By: jmill
If you could find a way to provide that script (without violating copyrights of course) that would be a fun read.

If someone can tell me if that's possible I have the file in PDF format. I don't want any lawyers looking for me. I am pretty sure that it was online and freely available for download when I saw it. It was part of some "back list” of hot scripts that was published.

By the way, here is someone reviewing the script.

http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/2009/12/crook-factory.html

Greg

Edited by Shrike1 (08/12/19 07:33 PM)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art