Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169269 - 08/01/19 08:11 PM Tom's Diner in Denver, CO
ColinFraizer Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Tom Messina, owner of Tom's Diner on Colfax Avenue in Denver wants to sell his diner to fund his retirement. But "preservationists" want to forbid it to preserve the character of Colfax Avenue.

https://reason.com/2019/08/01/neighborho...etire-in-peace/

Obligatory Dan Simmons connection, from Flashback, page 314:
 Quote:
Colfax, which ran from the prairie east of Denver all the way through the rottenest parts of the city to the foothills of the Rockies in the west, was once called by Playboy—one of the early stroke magazines, now out of print for decades—as "the longest, wickedest street in America."

#169271 - 08/02/19 12:49 AM Re: Tom's Diner in Denver, CO [Re: ColinFraizer]
Enright Online   content
Super User

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: ColinFraizer
Tom Messina, owner of Tom's Diner on Colfax Avenue in Denver wants to sell his diner to fund his retirement. But "preservationists" want to forbid it to preserve the character of Colfax Avenue.

https://reason.com/2019/08/01/neighborho...etire-in-peace/

Obligatory Dan Simmons connection, from Flashback, page 314:
 Quote:
Colfax, which ran from the prairie east of Denver all the way through the rottenest parts of the city to the foothills of the Rockies in the west, was once called by Playboy—one of the early stroke magazines, now out of print for decades—as "the longest, wickedest street in America."

Can't remember if I've told this story before on the forum, but this brings back memories of Denver and a motel-bar on Colfax in the mid-sixties that I once frequented called the Riviera. There was a club connected to the bar there that I joined called "the Jet-Set club." It was called that I imagine because some of the members were stewardesses, for one thing. To join the Jet-Set Club, you had to drink 8 triples of straight bourbon (women 7). I did it in two hours. After 3 glasses, it was no longer fun. I've often wondered what the bar owners were thinking, because you can die from drinking 8 triples, and they could have been sued. Anyway, I woke up in my apartment the next morning after having passed out between my bedroom and the bathroom. I was still drunk, or so it seemed. I called my squadron at Lowry Air Force Base, and told them I wouldn't be in that day. Anyway, the Jet-Set club was a fun group, and we had various adventures, filled with a little drinking.

#169272 - 08/02/19 02:33 AM Re: Tom's Diner in Denver, CO [Re: Enright]
ColinFraizer Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
"[A] little drinking". Yeah, I see. :-)
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art