Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169146 - 05/27/19 02:35 PM Memorial Day
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Okay, as no one else has done it yet, our annual Memorial Day thread.

Quote:
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

With heartfelt thanks to all who have given their all, and to the families who lost sons and fathers, husbands and brothers.

And, on a personal note, in special remembrance of my grandfather, who narrowly missed being buried across the sea during WWI. He hung on to die at home of his injuries some years later. I never got to meet him in person, of course, but the wonderful little trove of writings he left behind has inspired me from childhood on.

He carved the names of the places where he fought into his mess kit, along with delightful little illustrations, and this hung in a place of honor in my grandmother's house. As a child, I used to trace my little finger across these carvings in an effort to somehow know him and connect with him across the strange dark sea of years and miles. Later, as a young girl, when I was privileged to visit those places, I could still feel those fine grooves traced by my finger in what I can only describe as as well, trite as it sounds, an uncanny way. And oh, the poppy fields of Europe. There is nothing quite like the sight of one.

So, did you get your poppy?

https://www.vfw.org/community/community-initiatives/buddy-poppy

#169149 - 05/28/19 03:01 PM Re: Memorial Day [Re: AuntJobiska]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

God bless all who have given their lives for this country. Without their sacrifices, none of us would be free today. And thank you to those who currently serve, and risk the possibility of needing to be remembered on some future Memorial Day.

I should have posted this yesterday. Thank you Auntie for picking up the slack!

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art