Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#169165 - 06/02/19 12:17 AM Re: Top 5 books for 12-years old boy [Re: jmill]
Shrike1 Online   content
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
 Originally Posted By: jmill

Well what do you know, we actually agreed on something! \:\)

I guess there's a first time for everything. \:\)

#169178 - 06/10/19 07:24 PM Re: Top 5 books for 12-years old boy [Re: Shrike1]
bsan2 Offline

Loc: TX
Its Bsan again after a long hiatus - couldnt remember the email I used before but Im back.

My kids are 11 and 9 and here are a few things I have been reading them. One caveat:

Both my kids like to read but I dont choose to try to force things on them - I came to reading from my own love of it and I want them to as well. So these are things I think they would enjoy at their age but at the same time Im not trying to force the classics on them.

1. John Bellairs - A House With A Clock in its Walls - first movie I told them we are reading the book first. Was their first experience where they said "the movie was a lot of fun but the book was way better". Warms the heart. Also that movie was cute as hell.

2. Spy School - this is a series by Stuart Gibbs that is well written about a school for young CIA recruits when they are about 12. Both my daughter and son love it. Its a ton of fun to read together and they beg for more. We have read the first two and will move on.

3. Anything by Roald Dahl - I learned last year that this generation of kids doesn't know about the Chocolate Factory, or the Witches, or the Giant Peach or the BFG. And its a shame because that man could freaking WRITE. Box set of all his kids stuff is available here and pretty affordable and it was a Christmas present to my kids.

https://www.amazon.com/Roald-Dahl-15-Boo...ps%2C148&sr=8-1

Good to be back from a hiatus. Dan I hope you are well and mended.

#169202 - 06/20/19 03:25 AM Re: Top 5 books for 12-years old boy [Re: bsan2]
LittleMouse Offline

Loc: Indiana
A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony. It's not very long, but there are somewhere along the lines of 44 companion books. (Not kidding, search "Xanth" on Wikipedia.)

#169205 - 06/22/19 03:52 PM Re: Top 5 books for 12-years old boy [Re: bsan2]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Well done!
#169206 - 06/22/19 08:06 PM Re: Top 5 books for 12-years old boy [Re: jmill]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan S. comments:

I can suggest a few that seemed "formative" for my daughter at about that age -- "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen, "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls, "The Diary of Anne Frank", "A Wrinkle in Time" (actually for younger good readers) by Madeleine L'Engle and "Summer of Night" by some guy whose name I can't remember.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art