Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#169107 - 05/15/19 03:04 PM Voynich Manuscript deciphered! (??)
jryan Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Oakton VA
https://phys.org/news/2019-05-bristol-academic-voynich-code-century-old.html

"What it reveals is even more amazing than the myths and fantasies it has generated. For example, the manuscript was compiled by Dominican nuns as a source of reference for Maria of Castile, Queen of Aragon, who happens to have been great aunt to Catherine of Aragon."

Fascinating. My first thought was skepticism since the manuscript has not been fully deciphered yet, but if they have solve the mystery of its origin then, hell, I'm convinced!

Can't wait to find out what it was all about. My thought now is that the reality of its content will be underwhelming to many, but I will still find it riveting.

#169109 - 05/15/19 10:08 PM Re: Voynich Manuscript deciphered! (??) [Re: jryan]
Little John Offline
old hand

Loc: Bryan, TX
Well... shoot.

Folks are already throwing some cold water on this story.

I have to say that Cheshire's claim that the Voynich manuscript is written in a sort of "proto Romance" script seems (IMHO) questionable. The manuscript has been dated to the early 1400's, which strikes me as being hundreds of years after Italian, Spanish, Catalan, Romanian, etc. would likely have already begun to acquire distinct linguistic features. But that's just my semi-educated guess.

#169110 - 05/16/19 01:03 PM Re: Voynich Manuscript deciphered! (??) [Re: Little John]
jryan Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Oakton VA
We shall see, I guess. If it translates to "Drink More Ovaltine" I'll be pissed.

#169111 - 05/16/19 01:11 PM Re: Voynich Manuscript deciphered! (??) [Re: jryan]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

"You'll shoot your eye out, you'll shoot your eye out!"

#169112 - 05/16/19 02:46 PM Re: Voynich Manuscript deciphered! (??) [Re: jmill]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
They're talking about it here:

http://linguistforum.com/outside-of-the-box/medieval-manuscript-reveals-proto-romance-language/

Full paper here:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02639904.2019.1599566

Darn it, you beat me to the Ovaltine joke. According to the British tabloids, it includes sex tips! Those Dominican nuns must have been proto- Dr. Ruths! Then again, we're talking British tabloids here, so maybe no.

ETA: Your educated guess is right on the money, LittleJohn.

Edited by AuntJobiska (05/16/19 02:49 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art