Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#169099 - 05/13/19 12:26 AM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: Enright]
ScottSA Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: Silence
Ben Shapiro's number one strategy is to talk too fast for anyone to be able catch up on all the propaganda and falsehoods he keeps repeating (the GOP catechism with a dose of libertarianism). Therefore it's not 9 bad cases in 80,000, it's more like 79,000 in 80,000 (yes, I do think he is right sometimes).

This one was just an example absolutely impossible to defend

You make a claim about an individual's character based on an unverified claim about his behaviour during an arbitrary number of events (that you clearly pulled out of thin air), present one (1) anecdote confined to a single episode, and announce that therefore your opinion of his character is "proven?" This wouldn't pass a Teacher's Assistant gatekeeper in logic 101, never mind here.

#169102 - 05/13/19 01:27 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: ScottSA]
Enright Online   content
Super User

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: ScottSA
Ben Shapiro's number one strategy is to talk too fast for anyone to be able catch up on all the propaganda and falsehoods he keeps repeating (the GOP catechism with a dose of libertarianism). Therefore it's not 9 bad cases in 80,000, it's more like 79,000 in 80,000 (yes, I do think he is right sometimes).

You make a claim about an individual's character based on an unverified claim about his behaviour during an arbitrary number of events (that you clearly pulled out of thin air), present one (1) anecdote confined to a single episode, and announce that therefore your opinion of his character is "proven?" This wouldn't pass a Teacher's Assistant gatekeeper in logic 101, never mind here.

These are very excellent points Scott, along with your earlier "trolling" comment. Note also that, by what might be called sleight of hand, he alters the matter under discussion from a question of comments fostering violence, to "propaganda and falsehoods," identified as "the GOP catechism with a dose of libertarianism." He then ties these comments back to my hypothetical 80,000 points, as if "fostering violence" was not what we had been talking about all along, or should address, but only his mishmash of new accusations.

#169106 - 05/14/19 11:27 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: Enright]
Enright Online   content
Super User

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: Enright
 Originally Posted By: ScottSA

These are very excellent points Scott, along with your earlier "trolling" comment. Note also that, by what might be called sleight of hand, he alters the matter under discussion from a question of comments fostering violence, to "propaganda and falsehoods," identified as "the GOP catechism with a dose of libertarianism." He then ties these comments back to my hypothetical 80,000 points, as if "fostering violence" was not what we had been talking about all along, or should address, but only his mishmash of new accusations.

An error there, I meant to say "fostering anger," not violence.

#169108 - 05/15/19 09:23 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: Enright]
Epo9 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: US
He screwed up in the interview and was unprepared. His response to it was also very respectable. If this and the speed at which he speaks and people consistently positing that his arguments are "disingenuous" without any explanation is the opposition he faces, I'd say he's doing fairly well in the current political environment, given the various logical and moral gaffes readily observed on both sides of the aisle and the intense lens cast over anyone on the right.
#169113 - 05/16/19 06:47 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: jmill]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Who is Ben Shapiro? Should I have heard of him? Am I that out of it?
#169114 - 05/16/19 07:03 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: AuntJobiska]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Auntie, you should check out Shapiro and Dr. Jordan Peterson. Look at a couple of YouTube videos from those two and you'll hear two of the most rational conservative minds out there.

#169115 - 05/16/19 07:37 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: AuntJobiska]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: AuntJobiska

Dan S. to Auntie J.:

To answer your second and third questions: Yes, you should have heard of Ben Shapiro. And yes, alas, it appeareth tho.

Shapiro's latest book is titled THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great. I admit that I found it a bit tiring to watch him take various western-world philosophers whom I studied for four years or so and summarize each of them in a paragraph or two. But his heart -- and brain -- are on the "right side". His "Athens Plus Jerusalem" premise is not new -- various philosophers and "social philosophers" have played with it in a variety of often simplistic ways -- but Shapiro has had quite a bit of success of getting the attention (however briefly) of many of today's smuggest (and most ill-educated) leftist ideologues.

I sometimes listen to the pathetic noises being made by this year's media-approved gaggle of Democratic presidential candidates and their loyal pundits -- all unstained by even the slightest knowledge of history or philosophy or their other required fields of study -- and wind up thinking that it would be fun to unleash the Ben Shapiro wolf on the entire flock of those poor three-legged sheep.

DS

#169116 - 05/17/19 02:08 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: Dan Simmons]
Epo9 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: US
 Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons

Dan S. to Auntie J.:

To answer your second and third questions: Yes, you should have heard of Ben Shapiro. And yes, alas, it appeareth tho.

Shapiro's latest book is titled THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great. I admit that I found it a bit tiring to watch him take various western-world philosophers whom I studied for four years or so and summarize each of them in a paragraph or two. But his heart -- and brain -- are on the "right side". His "Athens Plus Jerusalem" premise is not new -- various philosophers and "social philosophers" have played with it in a variety of often simplistic ways -- but Shapiro has had quite a bit of success of getting the attention (however briefly) of many of today's smuggest (and most ill-educated) leftist ideologues.

I sometimes listen to the pathetic noises being made by this year's media-approved gaggle of Democratic presidential candidates and their loyal pundits -- all unstained by even the slightest knowledge of history or philosophy or their other required fields of study -- and wind up thinking that it would be fun to unleash the Ben Shapiro wolf on the entire flock of those poor three-legged sheep.

DS

He has evidently invited all twenty-some candidates to his hour-long special in which the usual less-heated back and forth discussion takes place. Of those, I believe only Andrew Yang accepted, and you can watch their discussion on YouTube. So he's publicly opened the door for debate and has been largely avoided (and even accused by one unnamed female congress-person as catcalling her). It would of course be in less than their best interests, as he's been highly critical of many of these candidates, not to mention that they don't yet seem to be running on any known platform save for flaming their fellow candidates. But yes, one candidate who has made his platform and strategy known accepted his invitation, and I recall it being very friendly and leading to Shapiro promoting this candidate as a viable runner.

If any are interested in him openly inviting any other intellectuals who fall in opposition to his beliefs, one of his discussion were with Sam Harris, who is openly critical of many aspects of religion in comparison to Shapiro's Orthodox Judaism. Other than perhaps the BBC interview mentioned in the original post, this might be the most vulnerable state I've seen Shapiro in, and he's bounced back well from both affairs.

Edited by Epo9 (05/17/19 02:10 PM)

#169121 - 05/19/19 04:48 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: Dan Simmons]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons

Dan S. to Auntie J.:

DS

Thank you most kindly, Sir. I suspected as much! I've no doubt I am out of it. That is one of the few good things about getting old. No one is surprised -- let alone horrified -- when one is out of it. I have avoided broadcast news ever since Trump was elected. It's just too nutty, especially the cable channels. So I guess I am super duper out of it.

Okay, ya'll, I will give Mr.Shapiro a whirl as soon as I get time.

#169231 - 07/16/19 06:03 PM Re: Ben Shapiro DESTROYS his overseas reputation [Re: jmill]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: jmill

Scottsa is right, you're looking a lot like a troll, Silence. In fact, if you really are from South Africa, you have far more important issues right on your own doorstep to deal with, such as the new apartheid your ANC now wants to institute. Racism runs rampant through the South African government. What are you doing about it? Or are you okay with stealing land based on skin color? Physician, heal thyself.

Well done.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art