Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#169255 - 07/28/19 12:22 PM Re: Mueller report [Re: jmill]
Ward Offline
veteran

Look no further than chapter 6 (Culture And Opportunity) of Will's book The Conservative Sensibility where he writes "The Cato Institute's Brink Lindsey is correct that the triumph over scarcity shifted the primary focus of liberal egalitarianism from lack of material resources to lack of cultural acceptance". Will goes on to illustrate using Maslow's hierarchy of need and notes that "in developed societies where the satisfaction of physiological needs is taken for granted, the "higher" needs become political subjects, and the satisfaction of such needs becomes a political agenda. Politics follows society's ascent up the pyramid." (page 345)
#169256 - 07/29/19 04:17 PM Re: Mueller report [Re: Ward]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Fascinating stuff! Says much more succinctly what I was trying to fumble my way towards. Thanks for the information, Ward. I'm coming at this issue from a slightly different and less educated, less rigorous direction than Will, Hoffer, Maslow and others, but we're all seeing the same basic thing -- this all-consuming need to somehow be important. I think most of us assuage that need with accomplishment, such as career, or family, or some form of craft or art, or public service, etc. Others, who perhaps haven't prepared themselves to do much more than exist, fill that need with social protest over anything they can find, and tend naturally towards left wing causes because they glitter so brightly in the arena of self-righteousness. Unfortunately those shiny pursuits often turn out to be nothing but fools gold.

Edited by jmill (07/29/19 04:18 PM)

#169257 - 07/29/19 05:46 PM Re: Mueller report [Re: jmill]
Ward Offline
veteran

I think you're right on target, jmill. I'm reminded of the film "The Wild One" when Johnny (Marlon Brando) is asked what he is rebelling against. Answer: whaddya got?
#169258 - 07/29/19 06:10 PM Re: Mueller report [Re: Ward]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Haha! The unintentional wisdom of Hollywood, of all places! If they made that film today, he'd answer "I'm fighting for social justice for anteaters, reproductive justice for narwhal whales, and to stop Trump from building the wall! What else ya got?"

Page 3 of 3 <123

Hop to:

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art