Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168971 - 04/19/19 03:45 PM Into the Soul Dad-verse
LittleMouse Offline

Loc: Indiana
Any of you who have read Flashback, The Hollow Man, or the Hardcase series knows Soul Dad. (I'm not spoiling anything, he's just kind of there .) Anyways, he seems to be in a lot of the Dan Simmons books that I've read. Does that mean these books all take place in the same universe? Or does it mean that Soul Dad exists in multiple realities at once and references his other existences? Or maybe he's like the electron that cannot decide whether to be a wave or a particle so is a particle in one reality then splits off a separate reality in which it is a wave. Except every time it's Soul Dad but somewhere (and somewhen) else.
I want to hear your weirdest theories on this.
(I swear I'm not nuts, I'm just bored.)

#168972 - 04/20/19 02:42 PM Re: Into the Soul Dad-verse [Re: LittleMouse]
Deianus Offline

Loc: Finland
Did you notice in Flashback, when the PI protagonist says something, or thinks about watching Kurtz movies with his son? So there's a paradox for you.

#168974 - 04/20/19 03:11 PM Re: Into the Soul Dad-verse [Re: Deianus]
Shrike1 Online   content
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
In Dan's novella "Flashback" and later in the novel of the same name we have the first mentions of the drug that later is in the HYPERION universe.

In the novel FLASHBACK we have mention of the Joe Kurtz novels/movies in which he is a fictional character showing up in this universe with Soul Dad, a character that is also in THE HOLLOW MAN.

Then we have the main character from BLACK HILLS, Paha Sapa, also being in Dan's novel THE FIFTH HEART.

All this ties in with aspects of THE HOLLOW MAN, ILIUM/OLYMPOS and the stories, "Madame Bovary C'est Moi” and "Vanni Fucci Is Alive and Well and Living In Hell”.

If I'm remembering this stuff accurately that is…

Greg

#168975 - 04/20/19 03:56 PM Re: Into the Soul Dad-verse [Re: LittleMouse]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: LittleMouse
Any of you who have read Flashback, The Hollow Man, or the Hardcase series knows Soul Dad. (I'm not spoiling anything, he's just kind of there .) Anyways, he seems to be in a lot of the Dan Simmons books that I've read. Does that mean these books all take place in the same universe? Or does it mean that Soul Dad exists in multiple realities at once and references his other existences? Or maybe he's like the electron that cannot decide whether to be a wave or a particle so is a particle in one reality then splits off a separate reality in which it is a wave. Except every time it's Soul Dad but somewhere (and somewhen) else.
I want to hear your weirdest theories on this.
(I swear I'm not nuts, I'm just bored.)

We might look at it from the perspective of some hypothetical observer who sees the universe of Dan Simmons works as-a-whole as one universe, while also looking at each book as a universe (or at least a galaxy) unto itself. If Soul Dad bounces around between universes or realities, he'd be considered a metaphysical or supraphysical (beyond physical) being from the perspective and laws of this universe, so in that scenario he could indeed be like an electron that cannot decide whether to be a wave or particle, or just about anything.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art