Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168927 - 04/13/19 12:06 PM The Worst Universally False Media Meme
Enright Online   content
Super User

Loc: CA
Probably the worst universally false media meme in the political arena pops up again! And so in an article on Ivanka Trump in The Atlantic today – "Inside Ivanka Trump's Dreamworld" – Elaina Plott says of Donald Trump and Charlottesville, "The president stated that 'very fine people' had been among both the violent neo-Nazis and those who had opposed their presence—this after a white supremacist had driven his car into a crowd of protesters, killing one person and injuring about two dozen."

In the same forum and time frame in which the President said that there were "fine people on both sides," he said explicitly said that he was not talking about the neo-Nazis or the white nationalists (his term).

If we were to completely follow this meme to its logical conclusion, we could as easily promote the idea that the president said that there were "very fine people" among the violent Antifa group in Charlottesville, since he said "both sides" and explicitly mentioned "the violent Antifa group." But it strains credulity to think that Trump would ever intend to say something nice about Antifa.

On youtube, Scott Adams, author of the Dilbert comic strip, has repeatedly railed against this meme, since it continues to appear in supposedly respectable sectors of the media when it is known to be false.

(I used the word "universally" above because this meme crops up all over the place.)

At about 1:58 into this video, Trump, without any prior prompting, says, "You had people – and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists because they should be condemned totally [my emphasis] – but you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists okay? and the press has treated them absolutely unfairly."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmaZR8E12bs

Starting at 11:43 into the following video, Scott Adams debates the issue with a caller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8VnhX2rQto

The Atlantic article on Ivanka:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/04/ivanka-trump-job-white-house/586972/

#168929 - 04/13/19 10:45 PM Re: The Worst Universally False Media Meme [Re: Enright]
LittleMouse Offline

Loc: Indiana
The demonization of prominent figures (e.g. Donald Trump) with opposing viewpoints and supporters of said prominent figures needs to stop. It's childish. Even high school Mean Girls aren't as quick to start false gossip like this (and I would know).

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art