Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168910 - 04/08/19 06:30 PM Writing to DS
Gavinabides Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Hello,

I would like to write Dan Simmons. Is this something I may be allowed?

#168911 - 04/08/19 07:15 PM Re: Writing to DS [Re: Gavinabides]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: Gavinabides
Hello,

I would like to write Dan Simmons. Is this something I may be allowed?

The way people typically write to authors is to look up the publisher of the author's last book, and send the letter to the author in care of the publisher, which letter the publisher then forwards to the author. I needed to get Dan's permission on something related to my book once, and that worked for me. So the envelope would be addressed like this:

Dan Simmons
c/o [Publisher's name]
[Publisher's address]

#168912 - 04/08/19 07:28 PM Re: Writing to DS [Re: Enright]
Gavinabides Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I have to askó is your book fiction, and if so is it avaliable?
#168913 - 04/08/19 11:26 PM Re: Writing to DS [Re: Gavinabides]
Enright Offline
Super User

Originally Posted By: Gavinabides
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I have to askó is your book fiction, and if so is it avaliable?

It's not available or finished. It involves people and events on another planet, so in that sense it has fictional elements. The draft of the entire book has been written, 24 chapters, but the project remains immensely difficult, e.g., advanced mathematical concepts in naive set theory I still have to work out.

#168920 - 04/11/19 02:02 PM Re: Writing to DS [Re: Enright]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Jim, I feel your pain. My book is written...in my head! Lucky for me, I don't have any advanced mathematical concepts...unless you count orbital mechanics. Also, there is a deus ex machina known as a flight computer.

Edited by steele,rick (04/11/19 02:39 PM)

#168921 - 04/11/19 09:39 PM Re: Writing to DS [Re: steele,rick]
Enright Offline
Super User

Originally Posted By: steele,rick
Jim, I feel your pain. My book is written...in my head! Lucky for me, I don't have any advanced mathematical concepts...unless you count orbital mechanics. Also, there is a deus ex machina known as a flight computer.

I not only count orbital mechanics, I count times tables, fingers and toes, etc.

#169095 - 05/12/19 12:12 PM Re: Writing to DS [Re: Enright]
brady Offline

Loc: florida
Dear Dan Simmons ...well I've read THE TERROR four times this year. I carry a battered copy with me. Own a book shop in Fort Myers Florida aptly named "Everglades Fine Books" and have written a novel about the area in the 1970's named GLADIOLUS DRIVE so...I am no stranger to reading. Just a note to say obviously how affected I am by THE TERROR and its ramifications as regards the 19th Century polar quests. I am fascinated however with the rats (rodents) in the Dead Room. Why did not the men cultivate and then harvest the rats for meat? I can almost see Goodsir in charge of the farming operation. Indeed while aboard ship they might have designated each man or small team to raise the rats on corpses and putrid Goldner tins. Even upon abandoning the ships the men might have taken the rats along with them rather than glassware and silverplate and continued the breeding, raising, and slaughtering for some time (perhaps?)although in the end there would have been no difference. Did this possibility bite you? Somehow I can see Cornelius Hickey gnawing on a rodent (as he was said to have resembled one). Guess I better get a life rather than wonder. By the way, the only book I have ever read that compares to your THE TERROR (and I have read books all my long life)especially as regards the sea (whether frozen or not) is THE VOYAGE by Sterling Hayden. Thank you Dan Simmons, for a superior product. Brady Vogt
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art