Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#168895 - 04/01/19 02:00 PM Boys and girls ARE born different from each other
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

"A New Study Blows Up Old Ideas About Girls and Boys"

I found this article link in a tweet from Richard Dooling. The mindless insistence of the left that boys and girls are identical and that gender is a construct turns out to be so much hokum. Funny how the left latches on to any scrap of science that they think proves Anthropogenic Global Warming, yet denies any science that shows that males and females are born with fundamentally different brains and behaviors.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychol...-and-boys%3famp

#168906 - 04/08/19 10:55 AM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: jmill]
justin Offline

I don't think many people are arguing that the 'sex' is the same between males and females. genitals being kind of awkward to deny the existence of...

but 'gender' is a construct in the sense that it basically amounts to presentation, and people have the liberty and freedom to dress, act, talk or do whatever they want, regardless of what gender their clothes, actions or words are coded to.

coming back to the body and the idea of sex, it's important to remember that humans come in a wide variety of configurations... there are men with skeletons that look like a woman's. some women have Y chromosomes and never show it. much of the time, we will never truly know the configuration, but we can be assured that God intended for the human body to possess an immense capacity for flexibility in not only body... but in mind as well ;\)

#168909 - 04/08/19 08:00 PM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: justin]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

I'm not talking about any kind of genetic anomalies, whatever they may be. How those folks perceive or present themselves is a different issue.

I'm concerned about perfectly formed and perfectly functional boys and girls being told that they really don't have any sex, that they can just choose what sex they want to be. I'm also talking about the idea that boys and girls are only male or female because of how they're raised. This is an idea propounded by folks who have never had children, or paid no attention to the ones they did have, and is NOT based on science, but rather on desire for social control. So it's not true that proponents of this ridiculous concept can't ignore the genitals of either sex. They do it every day now, and try and insert it into educational curriculums and pass laws based on this damaging idea every day.

#168916 - 04/10/19 03:08 AM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: jmill]
justin Offline

maybe... I think there is nothing wrong with questioning these concepts. there is a difference between sex and gender. if we can have healthy discussions in classrooms about these concepts, I'm all for it! ideally, we wouldn't insist on ANY particular point of view in schools.

I think there is maybe a bit of conjecture on your part, for instance, plenty of 'queer' people who believe in these ideas have families and children. I think also 'social control' is a matter of perspective; from another point of view, they are fighting for space to simply exist. sometimes you need laws to stop people from treating you like dirt, 'cause it is a very human thing for people to dominate each other given the opportunity.

I mean, I sometimes worry too what it means to accept these 'concepts', but I think that... A, 'gender' is a construct and different from 'sex', and the ideas of gender should be deconstructed. and B, kids ain't stupid... you tell a 5 y.o boy and girl, "your genitals are exactly the same", and they'll laugh at you. so, yeah, neat concept but... in practice, doesn't work so well. the concept of boys and girls ain't going away any time soon, "neutral" gender or no.

AND REALLY... if you want to set aside the bullshit, all it really boils down to is R E S P E C T. Trans people can't get any respect, so they've resorted to fighting in courts and in the realm of philosophy to deconstruct sex and make a space for themselves. speaking from my experience in these communities... none of the folks I know who would qualify as "trans" give two shits about the politics of it. they just wanna buy their damn milk and eggs and not get harassed by some stranger on the street who just feels like being a bully.

if people would just accept these folks into society without bullying them, I don't think you'd see this kind of struggle. people think their kids are gonna "turn trans", and it's sooo hilarious, I can't even... kids will still choose to be girls or boys if they want to be, but there are some of us who experience something else and there should be a place in our society for those who feel different.

I mean so long as they contribute to the economy, right?!

#168919 - 04/11/19 01:57 PM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: justin]
ScottSA Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Canada
I'm surprised, frankly, that this is even a thing. It reeks of the questions that sprang from Aquinas's Summa Theologica regarding angels and pins. I'm surprised more people don't stand back and simply say there's nothing to debate. Constrained as we happen to be in this life-cycle iteration by phenomenology, there exist males and females of the human species. Most of what passes for argument around this "question" are whataboutisms that have nothing to do with the thing itself. There are boys and there are girls, full stop. To argue that some see themselves differently and want "space" is no different than people who see themselves as trains or planes or automobiles. Fill yer boots, but don't expect me to accommodate your fantasy.

Edited by ScottSA (04/11/19 01:58 PM)

#168930 - 04/14/19 03:15 PM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: ScottSA]
justin Offline

yes, I think if there weren't this imaginary turf war, we'd all just ignore each other and get on with our lives.

I think the attitude of "not my clowns, not my circus" is just fine, but few on either end of the debate seem content with that. nevermind that in large, this discourse occurs in virtual spaces like Twitter or Facebook, and normal people who don't hinge their identity on a digital avatar can't help but wonder what all the fuss is about.

#168931 - 04/14/19 06:51 PM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: ScottSA]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: ScottSA
I'm surprised, frankly, that this is even a thing. It reeks of the questions that sprang from Aquinas's Summa Theologica regarding angels and pins. I'm surprised more people don't stand back and simply say there's nothing to debate. Constrained as we happen to be in this life-cycle iteration by phenomenology, there exist males and females of the human species. Most of what passes for argument around this "question" are whataboutisms that have nothing to do with the thing itself. There are boys and there are girls, full stop. To argue that some see themselves differently and want "space" is no different than people who see themselves as trains or planes or automobiles. Fill yer boots, but don't expect me to accommodate your fantasy.

Dan S. comments:

"Fill yer boots." Is that similar to "Fill your hand, you sonofabitch"?

ds

#168934 - 04/15/19 04:44 AM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: Dan Simmons]
ScottSA Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons
 Originally Posted By: ScottSA

Dan S. comments:

"Fill yer boots." Is that similar to "Fill your hand, you sonofabitch"?

ds
I dunno. I take it to mean "do whatever makes you happy."

#168935 - 04/15/19 05:44 AM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: ScottSA]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

I thought "fill your boots" was what happened when you peed your pants while out and about. (Squish, squish, squish...)
#168937 - 04/15/19 01:21 PM Re: Boys and girls ARE born different from each other [Re: jmill]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
Interestingly enough, whatever its meaning now, "Fill your boots" was originally a Scottish expression, "Fill ye your boats." During the Scottish yacht races of the 19th Century (a custom of the lower classes at that time) when the downtrodden were eating hors d'oeuvres and drinking champagne before one of the races the frustrated organizer of the event, one Angus Campbell, looked at all the people milling about, and shouted "Fill ye your boats!" meaning "Get in the damn things and let's start the race." He had a thick brogue, and his "boats" sounded like "boots" to a pair of Iroquois tourists from America who happened to come on the scene.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art