Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#169017 - 05/06/19 01:17 AM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: Silence]
ScottSA Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: Silence
She looks pretty smart to me

Except when she's braying like a jackass or predicting the end of the world in 12 years.

#169019 - 05/06/19 03:12 AM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: ScottSA]
Silence Offline
enthusiast

Loc: South Africa
Well she has said dumb things at times. So have I. So have you. So have all of us. She has also said pretty smart things. I always think that intellectual honesty is about how nuanced we are willing to be when it comes to assessing people with contrary viewpoints.
#169020 - 05/06/19 07:17 AM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: Silence]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Silence, I'd like to hear one smart thing she said. JUST ONE! Don't flood us with debris.

#169021 - 05/06/19 11:12 AM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: steele,rick]
Silence Offline
enthusiast

In a democracy, a representative is supposed to carry the voice of the people.

Take an issue like so-called "Medicare for all". It polls at about 70% within Americans, including over 50% of Republicans.

When you think that adopting it would for example save trillions of dollars (even according to the Mercatus Center), or go a long way to eradicating from US soil diseases typical of squalid 3rd world conditions like hookworm disease (found in Alabama), which is an utter shame, anything any politician might say in favor of such a plan is smart.

Edited by Silence (05/06/19 11:13 AM)

#169022 - 05/06/19 12:15 PM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: Silence]
ScottSA Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Canada
In a democracy, a representative is supposed to carry the voice of the people. In other news, the sky is blue. Furthermore, the whole point of a democracy is to deal with the fact that a nation is made up of individuals, not the collective of "the people," despite the verbiage of the preamble of the Declaration. There is no "voice of the people."

Take an issue like so-called "Medicare for all". It polls at about 70% within Americans, including over 50% of Republicans. That is a statement of fact, not "saying something smart.

When you think that adopting it would for example save trillions of dollars (even according to the Mercatus Center), or go a long way to eradicating from US soil diseases typical of squalid 3rd world conditions like hookworm disease (found in Alabama), which is an utter shame, anything any politician might say in favor of such a plan is smart. In other words you agree with the sentiment, thereby rendering it subjectively smart?

Edited by ScottSA (05/06/19 12:15 PM)

#169028 - 05/06/19 02:14 PM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: Silence]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
In a democracy, a representative is supposed to carry the voice of the people.

Take an issue like so-called "Medicare for all". It polls at about 70% within Americans, including over 50% of Republicans.

When you think that adopting it would for example save trillions of dollars (even according to the Mercatus Center), or go a long way to eradicating from US soil diseases typical of squalid 3rd world conditions like hookworm disease (found in Alabama), which is an utter shame, anything any politician might say in favor of such a plan is smart.interests

Um, no. In a representative republic (what we have, not a mob-ruled pure democracy, which rightly horrified the Founders), our representatives are supposed to vote in favor of their constituents' interest, not "carry" some "voice". Sorry, but that is mush-head thinking. Not that I am not guilty of mush-head thinking myself!

As for "Medicare for all" -- yes it polls well until one gets into the the particulars -- as in how it is paid for (greatly increased taxes) and what is lost (as in private and employer-subsidized health insurance plans), and then it polls very badly. Look it up. Sometimes Google is your friend.

#169035 - 05/07/19 03:08 AM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: AuntJobiska]
Silence Offline
enthusiast

Saying something smart is like saying something offhand about economics for which a lot of people will cast you as the dumbest person ever, and then an economics nobel prize winner weighs in to underline how sound your offhand remark was.
#169050 - 05/08/19 01:21 PM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: Silence]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Saying something smart is like saying something offhand about economics for which a lot of people will cast you as the dumbest person ever, and then an economics nobel prize winner weighs in to underline how sound your offhand remark was.

? I confess I have no clue what you mean. I am imagining Scott (the non-apostrophe one) making that whistling sound of a shell flying over my head. The fault, I'm sure, lies in my poor old sleep-deprived grey cells and not in your art. Perhaps you would so kind as to explain?

#169051 - 05/08/19 01:39 PM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: AuntJobiska]
Silence Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: AuntJobiska
I confess I have no clue what you mean. I am imagining Scott (the non-apostrophe one) making that whistling sound of a shell flying over my head. The fault, I'm sure, lies in my poor old sleep-deprived grey cells and not in your art. Perhaps you would so kind as to explain?

Quote:
Ocasio Cortezís remark about 70 percent marginal tax rates on the rich was delivered offhand in an interview. It immediately sparked a national political debate about taxes. Paul Krugman weighed in to say that taxing extremely high incomes made sound economic sense.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2019/01/how-a-o-c-is-changing-the-game

#169052 - 05/08/19 01:41 PM Re: There Is No Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [Re: Silence]
Silence Offline
enthusiast

Krugman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences in 2008
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art