Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#169077 - 05/09/19 08:17 PM Re: There Is No Green New Deal By CHARLES C. W. COOKE [Re: Silence]
ScottSA Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: Silence
One million species at risk of extinction, UN report warns

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/envir...pecies-at-risk/

Quote:

Value nature not stuff

In order to safeguard a healthy planet, society needs to shift from a sole focus on chasing economic growth, the summary report concludes. That won’t be easy, the report acknowledges. But it could get easier if countries begin to base their economies on an understanding that nature is the foundation for development. Shifting to nature-based planning can help provide a better quality of life with far less impact.

Putting that concept into practical terms, the report says countries need to reform hundreds of billions in dollars in subsidies and incentives that are currently given to the energy, fishing, agricultural, and forestry sectors. Instead of driving additional exploitation of the world’s natural resources, those monies should be shifted to incentivize protection and restoration of nature—such as underwriting new reserves or reforestation programs, the report said.

“We need to change what we value: nature, ecosystems, social equity, not growing the GDP,” Obura said.

This reminds me a lot of what happened on Maui Covenant

What does "social equity" have to do with the extinction of species? This is a classic example of hijacking a perceived crisis (and it's not, since species have come into being and extincted since time began) for political purposes. The IPCC report reeks of the same thing, as do many UN organs.

Edited by ScottSA (05/09/19 08:17 PM)

#169080 - 05/10/19 02:53 AM Re: There Is No Green New Deal By CHARLES C. W. COOKE [Re: ScottSA]
Silence Offline
enthusiast

Loc: South Africa
 Originally Posted By: ScottSA

What does "social equity" have to do with the extinction of species?

I am surprised anyone even asks the question. Extremely poor people who are basically in a constant state of survival don't have time to deal with larger problems like mass extinctions.

It's also why you have poachers in natural reserves.

Originally Posted By: ScottSA

This is a classic example of hijacking a perceived crisis (and it's not, since species have come into being and extincted since time began) for political purposes.

So biodiversity really doesn't matter at all, I guess? And I thought humans were one of the many living species on this planet, depending on other species to survive, therefore liable to extinction themselves. Silly me.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds in which 0.021 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art