Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#168718 - 01/23/19 09:26 AM Neal Stephenson
Deianus Offline

Loc: Finland
I'm just going to assume, that there's some fans of NS here. Perhaps Simmons himself is. I've wondered this occasionally, when reading Stephenson, because I find some small similarities. I don't really know, how well respected he is, in the field.

One of my favorite writers in the last five years. I recently reread Anathem, and I already want to read it again.

#168727 - 01/29/19 03:43 AM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: Deianus]
JPJK Offline

Loc: Montréal
I really like Neal Stephenson, but I'm not sold on how he ends his stories : they fall flat IMO. Diamond Age has been my favorite so far. Read Snow Crash, Anathem, Seven Eves and Cryptonomicon from him. Had a hard time reading Anathem, even if I really liked it, since English isn't my first language. This one was not an easy reading at all for me. I'll probably re-read it later this year, just finishing Snow Crash for the second time. Yup ! Really a good one. I'm planning to read his Zodiac book someday, not that much for is Rise And Fall Of D.O.D.O. Any comments on this one Deianus ?

Edited by JPJK (01/29/19 03:43 AM)

#168729 - 01/29/19 03:18 PM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: JPJK]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

The first book of Stephenson's that I read was SNOWCRASH. I really enjoyed it. I then read CRYPTONOMICON. SNOW CRASH was like a first grade primer compared CRYPTONOMICON. I will have to reread CRYPTONOMICON one of these days to see if I've gotten smart enough to grasp it all since the first reading. REAMDE is a return to the pure fun style of SNOWCRASH. I started but never got fully into the first book of THE BAROQUE CYCLE, and that's where my Stephenson reading ends at this point. He's a talented writer and a very smart man.

#168731 - 01/30/19 03:24 AM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: jmill]
JPJK Offline

Loc: Montréal
Oh ! Favorite quote from him is in Seven Eves :
Warning, Spoiler:
a guy qualifies the fact of eating his own useless legs as "soft cannibalism".
Laughed that one out real loud.

Edited by JPJK (01/30/19 03:28 AM)

#168733 - 02/01/19 05:16 AM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: jmill]
springer2 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Temecula, CA
 Originally Posted By: jmill

The first book of Stephenson's that I read was SNOWCRASH. I really enjoyed it. I then read CRYPTONOMICON. SNOW CRASH was like a first grade primer compared CRYPTONOMICON. I will have to reread CRYPTONOMICON one of these days to see if I've gotten smart enough to grasp it all since the first reading. REAMDE is a return to the pure fun style of SNOWCRASH. I started but never got fully into the first book of THE BAROQUE CYCLE, and that's where my Stephenson reading ends at this point. He's a talented writer and a very smart man.

This is nearly the exact same experience I had with Stephenson, minus REAMDE.

#168734 - 02/01/19 03:14 PM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: springer2]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Originally Posted By: springer2
 Originally Posted By: jmill

This is nearly the exact same experience I had with Stephenson, minus REAMDE.

Haha! Stephenson made me feel very uneducated and not very smart, but I didn't mind it at all. Dan does the same thing sometimes, the smart aleck.

#168749 - 02/06/19 09:53 AM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: jmill]
Deianus Offline

Loc: Finland
Hey JPJK, I hated D.O.D.O. I disliked it more, than Reamde and quit halfway. Maybe wrong kinds of expectations. Must give it another go and start from the beginning, before Dodge In Hell is out.
Supposedly, they're now making a large budget series of Snow Crash. Would be fun to see, what kind of choices they make.
The Baroque Cycle is a sublime masterpiece. It's funny, that books so entertainig, may also be a little challenging to read. Like drinking cream mixed with mayo. Too rich.

#168780 - 02/19/19 12:33 AM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: Deianus]
ThatMcKenzie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
I adore Stephenson with the exception of Seveneves. I had preordered it and got a Kindle copy that was very roughly edited and it made it obvious that, like The Mongoliad, it was a group project. Unlike The Mongoliad, however, the other contributors were uncredited. Worse, it was a bad story that was essentially RPG filler-text.

All the rest, though, are genius. Even the audiobooks are excellent. I can't listen to Jack's adventures on Walpurgisnacht without cackling hysterically.

#168781 - 02/19/19 01:09 PM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: ThatMcKenzie]
cshl Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Here
Now let's wander over to Stephenson's website and talk up Dan Simmons!

#168789 - 02/21/19 06:25 PM Re: Neal Stephenson [Re: cshl]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: cshl
Now let's wander over to Stephenson's website and talk up Dan Simmons!

Dan S. writes:

Not a bad idea. Is it being rude to one's guests to toss them out of your house if they keep using your space and hospitality to praise a business competitor? Probably.

ds

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art