Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168691 - 01/09/19 03:39 PM Amusing book review
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

I came across this on Amazon today, when I decided on impulse to read the one-star reviews for a book I just happened to look at. I won't say what book this review was for except to note that it was NOT one of Dan's books. I have no idea if the reviewer was honest about the writing itself, but the last sentence had the ring of truth to it. Of course, the joke is on the reader, since he or she had already paid the author:

"I'm totally convinced that the positive reviews about this book are left by friends and family of the author. There is simply no way, anyone with a registering IQ would find this book a pleasure to read. Tried reading this while on a camping trip. One of the dumbest books I've ever tried to read. Finally, I had to say, my dignity is on a higher level then this, and I quit reading. The only thing good about this book was- when our camper got stuck in the mud, I used this book for traction on the back left tire and it helped get us unstuck."

#168693 - 01/10/19 02:32 PM Re: Amusing book review [Re: jmill]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
I remember when fool that I was, not thinking outside of the box I got up and threw Dianetics into the garbage after only reading part of the first chapter. My car said, "Jesus man, do you know what you have done?"

#168713 - 01/20/19 01:59 PM Re: Amusing book review [Re: Enright]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
 Quote:

NAMED A BEST BOOK OF 2017 BY

GQ PopSugar NPR Huffington Post Electric Literature The New Yorker

CHOSEN AS A 2017 BEST SUMMER READ PICK BY

Publishers Weekly New York Magazine Buzzfeed Refinery29 Vulture Nylon

The reviews seemed bimodal around 5 stars and 1 star.

I read that you can find anything by putting a sequence of seven words in quotes into Google. For example, I entered the phrase "my father's automatic was in the drawer" into Google (incognito, so it should not be associating it with my browsing history). The top hit: Hyperion. (It's on page 379.)

My second attempt with "to remain fixed in such a manner" failed, but the last four words are kind of a set phrase. When I tried again adding two words: "facial expression to remain fixed in such a manner", Google dutifully pointed me to Darwin's Blade. (On page 170.)

I'd be surprised if even the author could name the novel given only those 7-9 words.

Edited by ColinFraizer (01/20/19 02:00 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.017 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art