Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168675 - 12/28/18 12:48 PM Terms I Learned from Dan Simmons
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Instead of simply indulging in my obsessive list-making alone, I thought I'd share the fun. Feel free to share your own thoughts (of course), but my top-level replies to this post will each be a term I learned from reading the work of Dan Simmons.

Edited by ColinFraizer (12/28/18 01:07 PM)

#168676 - 12/28/18 12:56 PM Re: Terms I Learned from Dan Simmons [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

putana

Urban Dictionary defines putana as
 Quote:
A slut or a prostitute. Derogatory term for a woman or girl of Italian origin. Male version see: Putano.

Hardcase, p. 212.

Quote:
Answer me, you miserable putana!" screamed the don. His face was mottled red and white.

#168677 - 12/28/18 01:06 PM Re: Terms I Learned from Dan Simmons [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

roundheel

Merriam-Webster defines roundheel as
 Quote:
pushover

Urban Dictionary defines round heels as
 Quote:
Promiscuous. It is meant to suggest that the girl—or guy—in question tips backwards easily i.e. is ready for sexual intercourse in the missionary position.

She's slept with everybody in class. That girl sure has round heels.

and

Quote:
n: A promiscuous person, usu. a promiscuous female. See "slut", etc.

More commonly used in the 1950's, this term has fallen into general disuse, but may still be heard in fiction that takes place in that era, or in circles that consider retro-talk cool.

"I wouldn't trust that little roundheels as far as I could throw her."

Hard Freeze, p. 57.

Quote:
But now she ignored the display, nodded attentively, and tried to sound smart but not too smart, agreeable but not a total pushover, and—when Emilio flirted—appropriately slutty but not a complete roundheels.

#168678 - 12/29/18 11:19 AM Re: Terms I Learned from Dan Simmons [Re: ColinFraizer]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado

#168683 - 12/31/18 02:40 PM Re: Terms I Learned from Dan Simmons [Re: ColinFraizer]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

alpenglow

Merriam-Webster defines alpenglow as
 Quote:
a reddish glow seen near sunset or sunrise on the summits of mountains

The Rise of Endymion, p. 317:
 Quote:
I folded my arms and looked out at the alpenglow illuminating the cloudtops many kilometers below and the brilliant evening light on the northern peak.

Bonus usage, p. 354
 Quote:
I confess that I am disappointed: we had planned to arrive at Potala in the twilight, while there was still alpenglow lighting the north-south ridges and the higher peaks to the north and west of the palace.

See also: Belt of Venus, a form of alpenglow, the name of which alludes to the girdle or breast-band of Romanized Aphrodite mentioned by Homer in Iliad book 14:

Quote:
"Take this girdle, keep it in your breast.
Here are all suavities and charms of love.
I do not think you will be ineffective
in what you plan."

A similar scene plays out in Dan Simmons's Olympos, p. 49:
 Quote:
“On this band are all the beguilements of seduction,” Aphrodite said softly. “The heat of Love, the pulsing rush of Longing, the sibilant slidings of sex, the urgent lover’s cries, and the whispers of endearment.”

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art