Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168654 - 12/24/18 03:59 PM Inflectional Mistakes
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Because I’m usually busy with career and family, I often feel reading fiction is an indulgence, so I purchase audio editions as well as print editions of novels I read. This allows me to read (or “read”) while commuting or doing otherwise mindless house- or yardwork.

I certainly don’t intend to bitch as I know I could not give pleasant readings as many of my favorite narrators do.

However, I’ve started cataloguing inflectional errors where a narrator seems—in my judgment—to have misspoken or misunderstood the author’s usage. It just causes me to inwardly wince—just as I do when I hear a term that I had once mispronounced or misused.

If this makes no sense, try saying these usages aloud.

Examples (without identifying details)
- when a character “tugs on” a jacket, but it is made to sound like he is a toddler tugging on his mother’s hand
- when planning a sea voyage with a stop to “lay in” fresh water, but it is made to sound like the sailors will be reclining (or f—ing) in a mountain stream
- when the contents of a gym include a “heavy bag” for boxing, but it is made to sound like someone over-packed their duffel
- when a view of the stars is limited by ‘light pollution”, but it is made to sound like not-very-severe smog

#168656 - 12/26/18 10:31 AM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: ColinFraizer]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Some of those are kind of amusing. I have heard a few mistakes over the years, but the one that sticks in my mind is a narrator trying to say stingy (as in miserly) but pronouncing it "sting-ee", as in an adjective for a bee, or a wasp, or maybe a nettle. It was obvious from context what the author meant, but the narrator blithely tripped on by the mispronunciation without hesitation.

#168860 - 03/21/19 09:08 AM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: hendry]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
A few years ago, I had the temerity to discuss here on the forum certain written inconsistencies in our host's novels. I was slapped down pretty strongly for being a nit-picker. Now I wonder if these verbal issues can also be termed Nit-Picking.

#168862 - 03/21/19 11:43 AM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: steele,rick]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Dan, hendry is a bot of some kind. Exterminate!

#168866 - 03/21/19 03:45 PM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: jmill]
Super User

My bad for not seeing this and engaging with said bot.

#168868 - 03/21/19 04:38 PM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: steele,rick]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

I didn't realize it was a bot the first time it showed up on one of the other threads until I read the post about three times. I kept thinking it was someone for whom English is a second language, and trying to suss out their meaning, till it finally dawned on me that it was some kind of crude artificial intelligence program attempting to imitate human speech. It also helped to see the hyperlink in the middle of the nonsensical sentences! That should have been an immediate give away, and will be from here on out.

#168876 - 03/23/19 12:51 PM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: steele,rick]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: steele,rick
A few years ago, I had the temerity to discuss here on the forum certain written inconsistencies in our host's novels. I was slapped down pretty strongly for being a nit-picker. Now I wonder if these verbal issues can also be termed Nit-Picking.

Dan S. comments:

When I used to participate in the Milford and then Mini-Milford (3 days rather than 7) wrting workshops, with participants such as George R. R. Martin, Ed Bryant, Connie Willis, etc., usually the first thing the critiquer would say when it came time in the circle for him or her to critique the manuscript would be, "First the nits . . ." And then go through every misplaced, mis-used, misspelled, mistaken little error in the MS. Nits are nasty little things. But, Rick, I don't remember publicly slapping you around for your criticisms on the forum. I would have WANTED to, but I don't remember doing so.

#168878 - 03/23/19 10:48 PM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: Dan Simmons]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Kill hendry, Dan! (It's a bot.)

#168880 - 03/24/19 12:35 PM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: Dan Simmons]
Super User

Not you. It might have been another famous ex-member, John Phillip Sunseri II.

#168955 - 04/17/19 02:27 PM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: jmill]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Based on my own struggles to express my semi-thoughts, I worry that this attitude might lead you to request that our own host eliminate me.

Kwatz! [Meta-hilarious: my phone tried to auto-correct that to “Keats!”]

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.054 seconds in which 0.038 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art