Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168654 - 12/24/18 03:59 PM Inflectional Mistakes
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Because I’m usually busy with career and family, I often feel reading fiction is an indulgence, so I purchase audio editions as well as print editions of novels I read. This allows me to read (or “read”) while commuting or doing otherwise mindless house- or yardwork.

I certainly don’t intend to bitch as I know I could not give pleasant readings as many of my favorite narrators do.

However, I’ve started cataloguing inflectional errors where a narrator seems—in my judgment—to have misspoken or misunderstood the author’s usage. It just causes me to inwardly wince—just as I do when I hear a term that I had once mispronounced or misused.

If this makes no sense, try saying these usages aloud.

Examples (without identifying details)
- when a character “tugs on” a jacket, but it is made to sound like he is a toddler tugging on his mother’s hand
- when planning a sea voyage with a stop to “lay in” fresh water, but it is made to sound like the sailors will be reclining (or f—ing) in a mountain stream
- when the contents of a gym include a “heavy bag” for boxing, but it is made to sound like someone over-packed their duffel
- when a view of the stars is limited by ‘light pollution”, but it is made to sound like not-very-severe smog

#168656 - 12/26/18 10:31 AM Re: Inflectional Mistakes [Re: ColinFraizer]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Some of those are kind of amusing. I have heard a few mistakes over the years, but the one that sticks in my mind is a narrator trying to say stingy (as in miserly) but pronouncing it "sting-ee", as in an adjective for a bee, or a wasp, or maybe a nettle. It was obvious from context what the author meant, but the narrator blithely tripped on by the mispronunciation without hesitation.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art