Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168609 - 11/04/18 03:09 AM A Return to Hyperion?
Shlomy Offline

Loc: NL
Dan posted two interesting updates on his Facebook Page a few hours ago.

Quote:
On a thousand worlds across what had once been the World Web, millions of farcaster portals lay dark and quiescent. Dead. Eternally separated one from the other.Then one man appeared who said that he could bring them all to life . . .

and

Quote:
For almost two standard centuries the Valley of the Time Tombs has lain empty, visited only by dust storms and the occasional shrieking simoom. Harmonic winds from the north howl around fluted chorus pillars and hum down eroded eyelet avenues tuned to sunset vespers. Sand gathers in dunes and caresses ancient temple faces etched with runes. And then a single blue light glares and a weathered stone wall becomes a doorway.

Can we hope for fresh content because of the "bring them all to life" or does it mean we get a medial / visual representation?
Thoughts?
I can't stop myself from being hyped.

#168610 - 11/04/18 08:50 AM Re: A Return to Hyperion? [Re: Shlomy]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
As far back as 2011 Dan has talked about two ideas that were in his head and possibly going to be written and published. One was a short book or long novella in the horror genre and the other was a series of five connected novellas set in the science fiction world of his Hyperion novels.

This is an excerpt from an interview he did back in 2011

Could you tell us what are you working on at the moment?

I'm currently preparing to read copyediting proof on Flashback, due out in the States from Little, Brown (Reagan Arthur imprint) in July of 2011 and -- between contracts with publishers and with no deadlines pending -- have started work on a fast, scary, unusual short novel or solid novella I call "Vastation". (Tagline -- "When all the mirrors in your house go absolutely black, your Vastation is about to begin.")

Lastly, we'd like to ask a crucial question: Will the Shrike come to visit us again?

Yes. The Shrike will be back. (Note and caveat: I've vowed never to write another novel in the Hyperion universe and I never will -- I hate publishing infinologies and the inevitable decline in story telling they entail -- but I said nothing about returning to that universe to write the occasional short story or -- perfect for such a tale -- occasional novella. I've not talked to any publisher about it, but I see a book of five intertwined Hyperion-universe tales with the working book title of Shrike Quincunx.)

Greg

#168611 - 11/04/18 11:54 AM Re: A Return to Hyperion? [Re: Shlomy]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
The second quote for me has echos of "The Haunting of Hill House" and it's impossibly perfect opening paragraph.

Has anyone else in this treehouse seen the Netflix version of HHH? It includes an impossible tree house.

#168612 - 11/04/18 02:20 PM Re: A Return to Hyperion? [Re: steele,rick]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
 Originally Posted By: steele,rick
The second quote for me has echos of "The Haunting of Hill House" and it's impossibly perfect opening paragraph.

Has anyone else in this treehouse seen the Netflix version of HHH? It includes an impossible tree house.

The opening of SUMMER OF NIGHT with Dan's description of Old Central seems to be an homage to Shirley Jackson's HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE!

I really liked how Netflix pulled off its version of THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE. I would give it a solid B+.

Greg

#168616 - 11/05/18 03:12 PM Re: A Return to Hyperion? [Re: Shrike1]
Shlomy Offline

Loc: NL
There is a new post on the page:

Quote:
During the high days of the Hegemony of Man, TC2 -- Tau Ceti Center -- offered Farcaster connections, some large enough for huge cargo feroids or Hawking drive spaceliners, to more than eleven million receiving portals across the Web.

#168621 - 11/15/18 10:12 AM Re: A Return to Hyperion? [Re: Shrike1]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
 Originally Posted By: Shrike1

Note and caveat: I've vowed never to write another novel in the Hyperion universe and I never will -- I hate publishing infinologies and the inevitable decline in story telling they entail

Am I the only one imagining the response this drew from Mr. Simmons's editor:

Quote:
Daniel, Daniel, Daniel, you have no idea how finished you will be if you don't apologize, straighten up, and fly right. But that can wait until tomorrow. Why don't you step home, sober up, and think about this? This publisher owns you from the balls up. If you give us any more trouble, we'll have you working in the Gothic Romance factory under the name Rosemary Titmouse. Now go home, sober up, and get to work on Hyperion X.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.292 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art