Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#168772 - 02/11/19 02:25 PM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: jmill]
ColinFraizer Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
The multiple recent scandals about "blackface" should, IMHO, be non-scandals. That is, I believe that the use of blackface as part of a minstrel show to denigrate a class of people by their race is abhorrent and should be condemned by polite people everywhere.

*But*, the problem is not the dark makeup. The problem is the use of the makeup as part of a performance that stereotypes and demeans black people. [And it's wrong and offensive even if you don't wear the makeup!]

However, I see no reason why, say, Megyn Kelly should have been hounded from her job for recognizing the (not-that-subtle) blurring of the issue. I certainly see nothing offense about, say, Billy Crystal using brown makeup as part of his gentle parodying of Sammy Davis, Jr. [Especially since he did not ridicule real black culture or false characteristics attributed to black people by bigots.]

Similarly, I never use the word "niggardly"ódoes anyone anymore? But I wouldn't be offended if someone used it around me. The problem with the N-word is not that those syllables have some evil power to cause hate. It is that that word *itself* is a symbol of hate and intolerance. People who are outraged by people using makeup to masquerade as a member of another race are, IMHO, making this same mistake: ascribing negative power to the artifact while not understanding the *ideas* that were the actual problem.

#168773 - 02/11/19 02:42 PM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: ColinFraizer]
Enright Online   content
Super User

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: ColinFraizer
The multiple recent scandals about "blackface" should, IMHO, be non-scandals. That is, I believe that the use of blackface as part of a minstrel show to denigrate a class of people by their race is abhorrent and should be condemned by polite people everywhere.

*But*, the problem is not the dark makeup. The problem is the use of the makeup as part of a performance that stereotypes and demeans black people. [And it's wrong and offensive even if you don't wear the makeup!]

However, I see no reason why, say, Megyn Kelly should have been hounded from her job for recognizing the (not-that-subtle) blurring of the issue. I certainly see nothing offense about, say, Billy Crystal using brown makeup as part of his gentle parodying of Sammy Davis, Jr. [Especially since he did not ridicule real black culture or false characteristics attributed to black people by bigots.]

Similarly, I never use the word "niggardly"ódoes anyone anymore? But I wouldn't be offended if someone used it around me. The problem with the N-word is not that those syllables have some evil power to cause hate. It is that that word *itself* is a symbol of hate and intolerance. People who are outraged by people using makeup to masquerade as a member of another race are, IMHO, making this same mistake: ascribing negative power to the artifact while not understanding the *ideas* that were the actual problem.

As I understand it, the term "niggardly," which is Norse and Old English in origin, has nothing to do etymologically speaking with the term "nigger," the spelling being coincidental. It's customary use is not as a racial slur, although of course people unaware of its origins may have assumed that it is.

#168774 - 02/11/19 04:31 PM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: Enright]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

Hey Jim, tell the people in Washington D.C. that niggardly is an Old English word that has nothing to do with "race"!

From Wikipedia:
"On January 15, 1999, David Howard, an aide to Anthony A. Williams, the mayor of Washington, D.C., used "niggardly" in reference to a budget.[5] This apparently upset one of his black colleagues identified by Howard as Marshall Brown, who misinterpreted it as a racial slur and lodged a complaint. As a result, on January 25, Howard tendered his resignation, and Williams accepted it.[6] However, after public pressure, an internal review into the matter was brought about, and the mayor offered Howard the chance to return to his position as Office of the Public Advocate on February 4. Howard refused but accepted another position with the mayor instead, insisting that he did not feel victimized by the incident. On the contrary, Howard felt that he had learned from the situation. "I used to think it would be great if we could all be colorblind; that's naÔve, especially for a white person, because a white person can't afford to be colorblind. They don't have to think about race every day. An African American does."[6]"

Don't you love Howard's logic about not being offended, and how it actually compounds the problem by positing white guilt as okay to indulge in for people who had nothing to do with slavery or segregation? And in what universe are black people the only ones that have to think about skin color everyday?

White guilt is no less racist than anything done against black folks because it condemns me and my children and grandchildren for no other reason than skin color. (And I'm still waiting for that color wheel to show me exactly where the skin color line is drawn.)

Edited by jmill (02/11/19 05:38 PM)

#168805 - 02/27/19 01:12 PM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: jmill]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Megan Kelly talked about Blackface...fired. Jimmy Fallon of NBC Tonight Show put it on...all over...just trying to boost his ratings. He's still working.

At least Jimmy Fallon didn't pay two band members on his show to beat him up and pay them with a check. Edit: Although, that would be a WICKEDLY funny sketch.

Edited by steele,rick (02/27/19 06:51 PM)

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art