Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168595 - 10/25/18 04:47 PM Megyn Kelly and Blackface
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
I remember as a child watching the great Amos 'n' Andy show on TV, and Al Jolson in blackface singing Swanee River in his last film role, and as I grew older, playing those great Stephen Foster songs of black people in the South on my piano. You know, that is all "racist" now; but I thought then that black people were the best people you could ever want to be. And I remember, when I was 17 and working a temporary job during the Christmas season delivering the U.S. mail in a black area, a certain old, kind woman who showed me her beautiful red roses, she was so proud of them, and how, though we were strangers, there was this unspoken bond between us, as we looked deep into each others' eyes, and saw nothing there but love and goodwill, a brief moment that for 60 years has remained with me ever since, indelible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/arts/television/megyn-kelly-blackface-nbc.html

#168596 - 10/26/18 06:36 AM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: Enright]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
It sounds like you were suffering from Non-Prejudice-ness.... get with the program!! \:\)

#168597 - 10/26/18 09:41 AM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: Enright]
Enright Offline
Super User

Originally Posted By: Enright
I remember as a child watching the great Amos 'n' Andy show on TV, and Al Jolson in blackface singing Swanee River in his last film role, and as I grew older, playing those great Stephen Foster songs of black people in the South on my piano. You know, that is all "racist" now; but I thought then that black people were the best people you could ever want to be. And I remember, when I was 17 and working a temporary job during the Christmas season delivering the U.S. mail in a black area, a certain old, kind woman who showed me her beautiful red roses, she was so proud of them, and how, though we were strangers, there was this unspoken bond between us, as we looked deep into each others' eyes, and saw nothing there but love and goodwill, a brief moment that for 60 years has remained with me ever since, indelible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/arts/television/megyn-kelly-blackface-nbc.html

Correction, Jolson sang Swanee (written by Gershwin and Irving Caesar), not Swanee River.

I am not happy that Rick Steele missed this correction. \:\/

#168598 - 10/27/18 07:39 AM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: Enright]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Well, blackface as in the old minstrel shows is racist. It's quite horrifying, really.

On the other hand, they seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill with the Megyn Kelly thing. She did not say blackface was okay. What she said was when she was it is now not okay to dress up in blackface if you were white or whiteface if you were black, but when she was a kid it was okay so long as you were dressing up as a character. (The subject of the segment was how what is acceptable for Halloween costumes has changed.) Then she mentioned how a character on some reality show got in trouble for dressing up as Diana Ross for Halloween, and said "Who doesn't love Diana Ross?" If you are a big fan and want to be Diana Ross for a day...

That was it.

As for the old Stephen Foster songs, they had the opposite effect from making us kids into little racists. We used to cry tears over Old Black Joe. We identified him with our grandfathers and thought how horrible it would be to be an old lonely slave separated from your family and grandchildren. It made real to us now terrible slavery was in a way that broke our little hearts.

#168607 - 11/02/18 03:12 PM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: Enright]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
State Songs for $500 has never been my favorite Jeopardy topic.

Following the Megan Kelly incident, recent photos of both Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel in Blackface on their respective TV shows have surfaced. Yawn.

Edited by steele,rick (11/02/18 03:14 PM)

#168617 - 11/05/18 09:32 PM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: steele,rick]
Enright Offline
Super User

I mentioned Amos 'n' Andy above, and here is a fine documentary about that show of the early 1950s, the first TV show featuring an all-black cast. These were very talented and funny actors, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ka6u2WA_zU

#168625 - 11/17/18 01:29 AM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: Enright]
wes Offline
addict

Loc: USA
I think getting rid of Megyn Kelly was the job of the network from Day 1. Her arrival did not do what they hoped. She had alienated many of her viewers at FOX right before she left, and even by the innuendo that she would be leaving for months. The blackface thing was just a convenient excuse, and probably enacted a clause in her contract to subtract from any guaranteed money that she is still owed.
#168626 - 11/18/18 10:56 AM Re: Megyn Kelly and Blackface [Re: wes]
Enright Offline
Super User

Clashes in Netherlands over "Black Pete":

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/18/black-pete-dutch-santa-claus-sparks-protests-acros/

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.371 seconds in which 0.364 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art