Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#168575 - 10/19/18 02:32 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: steele,rick]
Gilbert Offline
enthusiast

My wife and I saw First Man a couple of days ago. I liked it and she liked it. It was no Aollo 13, but nevertheless a decent film.
#168576 - 10/19/18 10:56 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: Gilbert]
MrArkadin Offline
addict

Loc: Los Angeles
 Originally Posted By: Gilbert
My wife and I saw First Man a couple of days ago. I liked it and she liked it. It was no Aollo 13, but nevertheless a decent film.

If it wasnít too late to edit my post, Iíd soften my language and lean more into the subjective ó Iím glad the movie worked for you, and wish it had for me. Iíll admit the movie sent me off into a high dudgeon, never something to be proud of. But I was so utterly disappointed by the approach it took to a subject I hold very dear.

#168578 - 10/21/18 02:20 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: MrArkadin]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Wow, Mr. Arkadin. Sorry you had such a bad experience at First Man. Perhaps living there on the west coast has jaded you. Or perhaps every person only sees what they can relate to. If so, you have my sympathies.

Mr. A, would you characterize the death of a 2-year-old as a family squabble?

Arkadin, I just now saw your later post, so you have stepped down off the high horse, a little. I also hold the space movement dearly....did you have a chance to read Hanson's book, First Man? Perhaps the book would restore some of your affection to Neil Armstrong and company.

Auntie, did you say your little brother hit you on the head with a moon cake???

L.O.L! (in a nice way!)

Did that glorious, awful moment get captured on film in his birthday drama? I would pay to see that photograph of you and sibling.

Being a child of the Manhattan Engineering District, you may enjoy this film (at least more than Arkadin did)...a big big government project designed, not to kill our enemies, but to lift us up by our bootstraps and ad astra, baby. Don't make the same mistake I made when the film started. I had thought it was a documentary. IT IS NOT!!!

If you are a "Space Hipster", look for the Easter Eggs...they are numerous and help make the film enjoyable.

It may take a year or so to come out on the free side.

Edited by steele,rick (10/21/18 02:23 PM)

#168580 - 10/21/18 04:58 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: steele,rick]
MrArkadin Offline
addict

The death of his daughter, and how it informs his actions later, was the only part of the movie that effected me. What was missing was the optimistic drive and passion for the mission that those brave men all had. There was so much fretting about ďthe costĒ and so much useless energy spent on Mrs Armstrong ó a truly useless character from a narrative perspective. Compare this to The Right Stuff and youíll get some sense of the tonal difference.

In the end the worst thing about it is that I didnít learn anything. And for a movie about a subject that leaves even well informed laymen with lots to learn, thatís a real travesty.

#168582 - 10/22/18 07:23 AM Re: First Man Movie [Re: MrArkadin]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
If First Man had been made as a documentary, you would have learned something. It's not. It was made to make you FEEL something for Armstrong and yes, his brave wife.

The Right Stuff movie was, in my humble opinion, a massive brain fart. With almost no redeeming qualities. It just goes to show how much more important historically accurate books (be they novels or biographies) can be than the resulting movie.

#168586 - 10/22/18 01:14 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: steele,rick]
MrArkadin Offline
addict

I guess weíll have to just disagree. I donít think movies have to abdicate anything to documentaries, and I wasnít talking about learning mere information. I didnít even learn anything of interest about Armstrong as a man. The way First Man has it, his only motivation for going to the moon was a lark and a grief-avoidance mechanism. I found the characterization shallow and unappealing.

And I still canít think of a single reason his wife was even a character in the film. She had literally nothing to do except behave anachronistically and fret. Her ďyouíre all just boysĒ dressing down was an embarrassing bit of gender-studies agitprop. I donít believe for a moment anything like it ever happened; it was a cheap bit of pandering designed solely to give Claire Foy something to do.

Oh, and the shaky, sloppy camerawork was headache inducing. But obviously Iím not trying to convince you of anything except the fact that you misread what I hoped for the movie. You liked it, good for you. I desperately wanted to like it, and didnít. Bad for me.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art