Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#168552 - 10/12/18 09:38 AM First Man Movie
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Opens tonight at many theaters...please no spoilers until Monday.

#168553 - 10/12/18 12:46 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: steele,rick]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

I'm wondering why the makers of the film purposely didn't show the American flag being planted. It's apparently visible in a couple of scenes, but reportedly there are no images of the astronauts planting it or standing near it. Normally I wouldn't think it was done on purpose, but after hearing the excuses from the filmmakers, now I think it was purposely ignored. Left wingers scoff at the notion that it's important, but they don't really believe in this country anyway, so their opinions on this issue are tainted by their politics. The moon landing was for all of mankind, yes, as the plaque and Armstrong's words indicate, but it was a singularly American accomplishment, and needs to be recognized as such in perpetuity. No other nation has yet duplicated our accomplishment, despite fifty years of opportunity to do so, and that means something.

#168554 - 10/12/18 12:56 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: jmill]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
 Originally Posted By: jmill

I'm wondering why the makers of the film purposely didn't show the American flag being planted. It's apparently visible in a couple of scenes, but reportedly there are no images of the astronauts planting it or standing near it. Normally I wouldn't think it was done on purpose, but after hearing the excuses from the filmmakers, now I think it was purposely ignored. Left wingers scoff at the notion that it's important, but they don't really believe in this country anyway, so their opinions on this issue are tainted by their politics. The moon landing was for all of mankind, yes, as the plaque and Armstrong's words indicate, but it was a singularly American accomplishment, and needs to be recognized as such in perpetuity. No other nation has yet duplicated our accomplishment, despite fifty years of opportunity to do so, and that means something.

My god, can't you keep your politics off of the General Discussion forum? You and everyone else that views the world the way you do already have the Hot Topics forum to spout your opinions freely and now without interruption from other viewpoints.

Greg

#168555 - 10/12/18 01:16 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: Shrike1]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

You got it, hall monitor.

#168556 - 10/12/18 01:20 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: jmill]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

You got it, hall monitor.

A put down. Did somebody forget to bring their lunch to school today?

Greg

#168557 - 10/12/18 11:23 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: Shrike1]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

No, just answering you in the style to which you've become accustomed.

#168559 - 10/13/18 08:20 AM Re: First Man Movie [Re: jmill]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Eyeroll.

To the topic at hand, First Man is, first of all, not a documentary. Not only is it a film about Neil Armstrong, it is a film LIKE Neil Armstrong: subdued, quiet, Cerebral. In a good way. After his X-15 flight, Neil is applying to NASA. Some Air Force pukes (likely Buzz Aldrin and Ed White) ask, "Who's the brainiac?" "Civilian" is the responding put down.

Armstrong and family (minus their recently late daughter) move to Houston and try to fit in to the Astronaut row neighborhood.

The story that follows is satisfying, both in technical terms and the human terms. Thanks to the variegates of schedules and the tragic Apollo 1 fire, Armstrong and company are tapped to land on the moon.

Armstrong's wife is strong when she has to be, but by the end of the film, they are separated. Perhaps just by the pane of glass, perhaps by more.

Many Easter Eggs are presented for those in the know (like the Fish Award), and many characters appear briefly and only some of us know who they are. One mystery is presented on the moon, but in Dan Simmons fashion, no one living or dead, knows if this is truth or fiction.

Some theaters have reported very low turnout, but the show was nearly sold out where I saw it.

Regarding the flag raising flap, was 1969 really that different of a time that we live in now? Perhaps. I got out my old newspaper from July 21, 1969 and there, in the center of the front page, is an artist's depiction of flag being raised on the moon. These were the same generation that raised the flag on Io Jima, so there's some connection there.

Recommended viewing, also get ready for two more real documentaries celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the landing next year.

Edited by steele,rick (10/13/18 09:04 AM)

#168560 - 10/13/18 09:21 AM Re: First Man Movie [Re: jmill]
Shrike1 Offline
veteran

No, just answering you in the style to which you've become accustomed.

My mom put a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my lunchbox. I'll share it with you if you like?

Greg

#168568 - 10/15/18 06:33 PM Re: First Man Movie [Re: Shrike1]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Thanks for the trip down nostalgia lane, Rick! That newspaper! What a day that was. My mother baked a sheet cake with white icing with indentations like moon craters decorated with my baby brother's little plastic astronauts and a paper American flag on a toothpick.

1969. Tang. Space Sticks. My brother's plastic Lunar Landing Module landing on my poor head.

I'd love to see the movie, going by your description, but looks like I'll have to wait for Amazon Prime or Netflix.

#168574 - 10/19/18 03:54 AM Re: First Man Movie [Re: AuntJobiska]
MrArkadin Offline
addict

Loc: Los Angeles
Well Iím happy to say hello to so many familiar but long estranged folks, but sorry to say that First Man is dog shit. Itís a mopey, miserable kitchen sink soap opera in which all the pathetic, handwringing characters treat the moon shot as some awful chore they must endure between arguments about ďthe costĒ and family squabbles. There is absolutely none of the joy, passion, pride, thrill or ambitions that drove those heroic men to achieve the unacheivable. The only discernible motive that the Neil Armstrong of the movie has for going to the moon is to escape his screechy, shrewish wife.

God I hated this movie, if only for the terminal crime of making one of the most thrilling and important moments in human history drab and boring. Itís also ugly as sin, really poorly shot.

Sigh. It brings me no pleasure to say this. But First Man is garbage.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art