Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#168507 - 10/06/18 08:40 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Enright]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
On my. I am indeed a poor old out-of-it auntie. I thought the Devil's Triangle was another name for the Bermuda Triangle. I've never heard of the drinking game or, er, that other thing. No, I don't want to know. I've lived this long without knowing just fine.

ETA: It's also the name of a sort of creepy area just north of Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Unless our good host discovered this while researching OMEGA CANYON, I would be the only one around here who knows that.

Edited by AuntJobiska (10/06/18 09:03 PM)

#168508 - 10/07/18 10:57 AM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: AuntJobiska]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: AuntJobiska
On my. I am indeed a poor old out-of-it auntie. I thought the Devil's Triangle was another name for the Bermuda Triangle. I've never heard of the drinking game or, er, that other thing. No, I don't want to know. I've lived this long without knowing just fine.

ETA: It's also the name of a sort of creepy area just north of Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Unless our good host discovered this while researching OMEGA CANYON, I would be the only one around here who knows that.

Dan S. to Auntie J:

Evidently, you're the only one around here who knows that. Out of the tons upon tons of research I've done for OMEGA CANYON, I've touched on Oak Ridge very lightly. And if I had known about this other Devil's Triangle, I would have avoided it. (There's nothing scary or supernatural or genre-ish in OMEGA CANYON.)

dan

Edited by Dan Simmons (10/07/18 10:57 AM)

#168511 - 10/07/18 01:19 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Dan Simmons]
CPD Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Lorain County, Ohio, USA
What deeply unsettles me, enough to uncharacteristically bring me out of sleep with a wave of anxiety, is the response of the Left to defeat. They lost the 2016 election, and have been working since to question its legitimacy through allegations of Russian interference. Upon my arrival to the gym this morning for my workout, I saw the TVs tuned to the news showing that Democrats are now floating calling the Supreme Court no longer legitimate, whatever that means. I suppose that it means that because the Court is now leaning decidedly right, it won't render decisions that the Left likes, ergo, it is no longer a valid institution. Same goes for the Electoral College, which saves us from mob rule.

Undermining fundamental institutions and essential processes of the republic, if pushed long and hard enough, can lead to tyranny.

This is not to mention the exacerbation of the strong hold the Left has on most of our news and entertainment and all social media outlets.

#168516 - 10/07/18 03:20 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Dan Simmons]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
 Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons

Dan S. to Auntie J:

Evidently, you're the only one around here who knows that. Out of the tons upon tons of research I've done for OMEGA CANYON, I've touched on Oak Ridge very lightly. And if I had known about this other Devil's Triangle, I would have avoided it. (There's nothing scary or supernatural or genre-ish in OMEGA CANYON.)

dan

Okay, I'm apparently the only one who knows about the Tennessee Devil's Triangle and the only one who does not know about the dirty sort, the sex thing.

It's not a supernatural sort of creepy, just a tad creepy because of the terrain, the prison and old coal mines where many miners died in explosions, etc. It's very popular with motorcycle riders because of the twisty roads and switchbacks. Ward? Ward?

No, Ward, you really don't want to ride the Triangle:

https://devilstriangletn.com/details/

History of the area: https://devilstriangletn.com/history/#more-23

Sorry for the digression. Ahem. Good post by CPD. This is truly troublesome, especially when one considers the remarks made by Kagan and Sotomayor yesterday.

ETA: I am really looking forward to OMEGA CANYON. My Dad went out to Los Alamos a lot, probably once a year. One of his colleagues from Los Alamos was in Switzerland at the same time as we were and had a daughter my age, and our families good friends. I've heard so much about it and always wanted to visit, but never got the time. Can't wait to read the book!

Edited by AuntJobiska (10/07/18 03:27 PM)

#168517 - 10/07/18 07:12 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Jason_WB]
jryan Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Oakton VA
 Originally Posted By: Jason_WB
Nope. That's just fiction.

What is fiction?

Where did Ford say anything about "Devil's Triangle"? All of the witnesses say that it was a drinking game. the student credited in the Yearbook with inventing the Devil's Triangle testified in writing that it was a drinking game.

Every single thing proposed by Michael Avenatti was a scurrilous lie.

He also attempted to make something from "FFFFFouth of July" ... but it turns out his stupid,\ claim there is easily falsified as well.. throughout the yearbook there are repeats of the FFF... but never the same number.

#168518 - 10/07/18 07:14 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Dan Simmons]
jryan Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Oakton VA
 Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons

Dan S. to Auntie J:

dan

I think most anti-Kavanaugh types were trying to argue an alternative meaning within the school. But they had to ignore all first hand accounts in order to get to the meaning they envisioned.

#168520 - 10/07/18 07:56 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Jason_WB]
Mike F Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Chico, CA.
 Originally Posted By: Jason_WB
. . . well known terms for sex acts like Devil's Triangle . . .

I'm only two years younger than Kavanaugh and I never heard of this until recently. "Devil's Triangle" could refer to almost anything. Not that I would care one way or the other what it refers to.

#168526 - 10/08/18 02:38 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Mike F]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

I've never heard of the "Devil's Triangle" before either, and I've been around.

I am bone-deep angry about this naked power grab by Democrats. It had nothing to do with Kavanaugh, except as a convenient target for the Democrats to demonize and destroy in order to keep from losing Supreme Court decisions. There was not an ounce of civility or collegiality in this process, thanks to the Dems maniacal thirst for control.

I hope other Republicans, Independents and fair-minded Democrats are as outraged by this whole ugly episode as I am, and go to the polls to demonstrate their distaste by voting against Democrats. No one in the conservative mainstream did this to Obama or any of his nominees. Even Merrick Garland was simply held in abeyance, not destroyed by uncorroborated accusations from decades ago. There is a price for everything we do in this life. I hope the Democrats pay it in November.

And I will say for the second or third time: You aint seen nothin' yet. Wait until Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies or retires, and then watch what happens. It will be World War III, and the Democrats will double down on their anti-American stances of assuming guilty until proven innocent and "to hell with due process!"

#168533 - 10/08/18 10:24 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: jmill]
MWest Offline

Loc: PA
The discussions on this forum surronding Brett Kavanaugh simply do not resemble positive discourse in any way. I'm new here but this is an echo chamber.

Nevermind the fact that Democrats have fallen just as strongly to allegations of sexual assault. Just ask Al Franken (or most of Hollywood). Meanwhile, Jim Jordan gets by scott free.

And claims of partisanship. Are you serious?

Have you forgotten Garland?

I'm not that far from high school and it is insulting to insist because an event happened then it is not a testament to someone's character.

And is the temperment of a man who says "have you" to a senator asking a relevant question really the temperment of a supreme court justice.

The Democrats may lose poorly, but the Republicans win left and right and still find ways to cry about it.

Plus the logic of attacking someone's character because you think they're a "plant" is just so juvenile.

#168540 - 10/09/18 01:11 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: MWest]
Mike F Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Chico, CA.
 Originally Posted By: MWest

. . . to insist because an event happened then it is not a testament to someone's character.

May I ask what specific event you are assuming happened?

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.02 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art