Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#168495 - 10/05/18 11:13 AM Judge Kavanaugh
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan Simmons comments:

The forum hasn't had much in the way of comments on the most disputed and acrimonious political issue of the day: the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh.

Now that the vote for cloture has passed -- most narrowly -- and the judiciary committee is moving toward a vote of the full Senate by the weekend, let's look back at these weeks of shrill invective, high emotions, and political maneuvering.

I hate to use a cliche here (go on, go on the crowd roars) but we may have crossed a political and cultural Rubicon here. The Democrats only solution to stopping another conservative (or, rather, Constructionist) judge being on the Supreme Court was -- since Cavanaugh was obviously highly qualified as a judge -- to destroy his reputation with charges going back to high school.

"Why would the accusers lie?" is the demand from Democrats. Kevin Williamson has recently written a powerful column on this issue: People like all the time. You've probably lied on little things -- i.e. "Sorry I'm late. The traffic was terrible" -- and you know people who've lied, perhaps just in personal relationships, in really big things. Why do we lie?

I'm currently reshaping my 1989 novel CARRION COMFORT into proposals for a possible TV series (open to multiple seasons, rather than the right and proper 10-episodes only of AMC's THE TERROR)and honing its message for a 21st Century audience. One theme still dominates -- we humans lie, and do other vile things, to gain power over someone else. My theme when I began writing CARRION COMFORT in 1986 was "All power over another person is a form of violence."

What we've watched from Washington (and around the country) the last few months is a naked struggle for power that's led to mob attacks -- attacks on a good man's reputation, physical "in your face" attacks in hallways, public restaurants, and -- yes, Jeff --in a senators-only elevator.

So what have we learned, friends? And what will be the next step in this steadily downward trajectory away from civility and the Hegelian dialectic toward pure mob rule? Or was this, as some politicians have said, really "rock bottom".

Is there anyone who was an especially ignoble part of this dogpile who really deserves special attention? (Cory Booker comes to mind.)

Perhaps you're tired of thinking and talking about the Cavanaugh hearings. If so, this thread will remain blank and all I can say is a sincere "I understand".

dan

Edited by Dan Simmons (10/05/18 11:35 AM)

#168498 - 10/05/18 01:03 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Dan Simmons]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Cory Booker....You mean, Spartacus of course.

One comment heard on the radio seemed to hit home: The rabid opposition to Kavanaugh is displaced "Never-Trump" ism, especially now that his approval numbers are over 50%, unemployment has dropped to 1969 levels and old treaties are being scrapped or repurposed with advantage to US.

Dan, just wanted to pass along another event happening tonight in Boulder (or in Denver?) that you might want to tune in for:

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I write to you to inform you of the world premiere of a very special event occurring this Friday, October 5.

"Light in the Void" is a sweeping, multi-media, musical/visual/spoken-word celebration of scientific inquiry and the human desire to know. It will be a live musical concert, performed in Denver by the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, with a soaring, original score by Grammy winner Austin WIntory, spectacular imagery, videos, and animations of the natural world and the cosmos, and live performances by professional actors and three real scientists, of which yours truly is one!

It will follow the story of a broken and lost young adult who demands answers to life’s biggest questions, and learns of the long march of scientific discovery that has gifted us with an awareness of humanity's place in the grand scheme of cosmic time. (See attached artwork.)

For more information about this event, go to:

Promo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP4miAsQhdw&t=11s
Facebook Post: https://www.facebook.com/events/933288553503562/?ref=46

Though of course most of you can't be in Denver, you can stream this event free from the internet at the Twitch platform! Just go to ...

https://t.co/x32ostGUwi

... at 7:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time on Friday, October 5, sit back and watch the show!

Hope you like it! s

Best,

Carolyn Porco
Cassini Imaging Team leader
Visiting Scholar, UC Berkeley, CA
Fellow, California Academy of Sciences

#168499 - 10/05/18 02:44 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: steele,rick]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Senator Susan Collins (R) Maine has today delivered her hour-long speech....FOR the nomination of Judge Kavanaugh. Her speech was well thought out, thorough and logical, she covered all the bases and discussed previous nominees as well.

In the end, Professor Ford could not prevail due to her lack of corroborating evidence; however Senator Collins was thoughtful and grateful for the opportunity to hear Ford's story.

The speech was covered in full on some radio stations. However, NPR, that bastion of liberalism, has apparently moved on from the Kavanaugh case and has thrown in the towel.

#168500 - 10/05/18 02:47 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: steele,rick]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
Collins and Manchin both just said they will vote to confirm Kavanaugh. I'm so happy, especially for his lovely wife and beautiful daughters who didn't deserve to have this muck thrown on them.

#168501 - 10/05/18 06:36 PM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Dan Simmons]
Enright Offline
Super User

Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons
Dan Simmons comments:

The forum hasn't had much in the way of comments on the most disputed and acrimonious political issue of the day: the confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh.

Now that the vote for cloture has passed -- most narrowly -- and the judiciary committee is moving toward a vote of the full Senate by the weekend, let's look back at these weeks of shrill invective, high emotions, and political maneuvering.

I hate to use a cliche here (go on, go on the crowd roars) but we may have crossed a political and cultural Rubicon here. The Democrats only solution to stopping another conservative (or, rather, Constructionist) judge being on the Supreme Court was -- since Cavanaugh was obviously highly qualified as a judge -- to destroy his reputation with charges going back to high school.

"Why would the accusers lie?" is the demand from Democrats. Kevin Williamson has recently written a powerful column on this issue: People like all the time. You've probably lied on little things -- i.e. "Sorry I'm late. The traffic was terrible" -- and you know people who've lied, perhaps just in personal relationships, in really big things. Why do we lie?

I'm currently reshaping my 1989 novel CARRION COMFORT into proposals for a possible TV series (open to multiple seasons, rather than the right and proper 10-episodes only of AMC's THE TERROR)and honing its message for a 21st Century audience. One theme still dominates -- we humans lie, and do other vile things, to gain power over someone else. My theme when I began writing CARRION COMFORT in 1986 was "All power over another person is a form of violence."

What we've watched from Washington (and around the country) the last few months is a naked struggle for power that's led to mob attacks -- attacks on a good man's reputation, physical "in your face" attacks in hallways, public restaurants, and -- yes, Jeff --in a senators-only elevator.

So what have we learned, friends? And what will be the next step in this steadily downward trajectory away from civility and the Hegelian dialectic toward pure mob rule? Or was this, as some politicians have said, really "rock bottom".

Is there anyone who was an especially ignoble part of this dogpile who really deserves special attention? (Cory Booker comes to mind.)

Perhaps you're tired of thinking and talking about the Cavanaugh hearings. If so, this thread will remain blank and all I can say is a sincere "I understand".
dan

Susan Collins just gave one of the greatest political speeches I have ever heard, although I don't agree with everything she said, but even she doesn't doubt that Ford is telling her story honestly. Right off, that's conceding way too much to the other side – to not publicly raise the possibility that the accuser could be lying. And now, it's looking more and more as if Ford might very well have been doing just that.

Early on, fearless Candace Owens was one of the few people who said, "I think she is lying."

To elevate "credibility" to a position above due process, in a nation full of credulous people, is just scary.

#168502 - 10/06/18 08:15 AM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Enright]
Jason_WB Offline
enthusiast

Loc: CO, USA
If ms Ford's testimony is fake or manufactured, why did the manufacturers litter the story with well known terms for sex acts like Devil's Triangle that Kavanaugh is then pretending to an incredulous public are drinking games?

I understand memories can be manufactured, and people can be used as pawns, but I also understand basic logic and reasoning.

#168503 - 10/06/18 09:07 AM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Jason_WB]
Enright Offline
Super User

Originally Posted By: Jason_WB
If ms Ford's testimony is fake or manufactured, why did the manufacturers litter the story with well known terms for sex acts like Devil's Triangle that Kavanaugh is then pretending to an incredulous public are drinking games?

I understand memories can be manufactured, and people can be used as pawns, but I also understand basic logic and reasoning.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here Jason, did Ms. Ford testify with regard to something called the Devil's Triangle?

ETA the following from the Daily Caller:

1. “Devil’s Triangle”
Multiple media outlets accused Kavanaugh of lying about the term “devil’s triangle” in his high school yearbook, which Democrats claimed was a reference to a group sex act. When asked by Democratic Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy, Kavanaugh said that “devil’s triangle” was a drinking game played with quarters and three cups. The Huffington Post called Kavanaugh’s explanation a “lie.” Seven witnesses — including the classmate credited in the yearbook for inventing the game — have corroborated Kavanaugh’s account of “devil’s triangle.” Politico on Thursday published a video that cited the website Urban Dictionary to suggest Kavanaugh was lying. Politico later deleted the video and issued an apology for its “outdated information.”

Edited by Enright (10/06/18 09:33 AM)

#168504 - 10/06/18 09:31 AM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Enright]
Jason_WB Offline
enthusiast

Nope. That's just fiction.
#168505 - 10/06/18 09:32 AM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Jason_WB]
Jason_WB Offline
enthusiast

Most people I know know what a Devil's Triangle is. Kids these days.
#168506 - 10/06/18 10:37 AM Re: Judge Kavanaugh [Re: Jason_WB]
Enright Offline
Super User

Originally Posted By: Jason_WB
Nope. That's just fiction.

OK, so I gather that, as far as you know, Ms. Ford said nothing about "The Devil's Triangle" in her testimony, and thus "the Devil's Triangle" has nothing to do with whether or not she lied about anything in her testimony (because it wasn't in it), so your original point above, i.e., "If ms Ford's testimony is fake or manufactured, why did the manufacturers litter the story with well known terms for sex acts like Devil's Triangle...," appears muddled.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.746 seconds in which 0.412 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art