Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#168484 - 10/04/18 01:07 PM Rejuvenating the web site and the forums
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan S. comments:

This posting will be on all 3 interactive Forums here.

I just crossed paths with an old friend, veteran Forum member here called "Ward". My visits with this old pal are always enjoyable and our conversations are always stimulating, but I was surprised this time when he said that he still checks the Forum every morning.

I was surprised because I know I've been negligent in keeping the forum and the entire Dan Simmons web site fresh (I've had that "Under Construction" sign hanging on the site's Home Page for far too long.) Truth is, I've been swamped by various other priorities for quite a while now -- and pressing new priorities seem to pop up all the time -- and haven't gotten around to necessary renewals on the entire web site and specifically on the Forum that I've loved for so long.

It's time for me to get to work:

1) I'm still looking for a web designer to renovate the entire dansimmons.com site. If you're such a person -- or know one whose designs you really like -- please have the web site designer contact me at DanS2731@aol.com and include links to samples of the work as well as rates.

2)It is time to return some real energy to the forums here and -- while doing that -- perhaps persuade some old forum friends of ours to return with their thoughts and opinions on a wide range of topics. We also welcome new members who understand that these forums earned deserved accolades for their civility and the impressive range of their members' expertise.

3) Suggestions for improving both the web site in general and our Forums in particular can be posted here on any of the Forums. I'll acknowledge all such contributions and will consider each of them. (There will be no critique by me of the suggestions, either here on the forums or elsewhere.)

4)Finally, I want to offer a sincere "thank you" to all of you who read the forums (as my friend "Ward" still does each day) and those who've taken the extra time to frame and post your thoughts and opinions here.

Time for me to go to work on all this. I look forward to reading your suggestions and comments.

#168487 - 10/05/18 05:52 AM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and the forums [Re: Dan Simmons]
CPD Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Lorain County, Ohio, USA
I don't post much, as a lot of the topics are outside my areas of expertise, I do check the forums every day, sometimes more than once per day, because the informative discussion helps me think through current issues.

I want to thank you for hosting this site, which is a shining gem that is a glorious counterexample to the sea of vituperative dreck that is social media.

#168493 - 10/05/18 10:56 AM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and the forums [Re: CPD]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: CPD
I don't post much, as a lot of the topics are outside my areas of expertise, I do check the forums every day, sometimes more than once per day, because the informative discussion helps me think through current issues.

I want to thank you for hosting this site, which is a shining gem that is a glorious counterexample to the sea of vituperative dreck that is social media.

Dan S. comments to CPD:

We're glad you're here.

#168494 - 10/05/18 11:06 AM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and the forums [Re: Dan Simmons]
Jason_WB Offline
enthusiast

Loc: CO, USA
Besides questioning whether I ought to be allowed to participate, as I think my presence is incendiary, even as I am deeply indebted to Dan as an influence on my life and wish to be here to learn many things, I would comment that the speedbump where you enter the forums from the farcaster link and on the first click-thru you get a weird error page, but on refreshing you see the forums, does serve to dissuade many from entering but may not be intentional?

I will try to quiet down in general as the silence is deafening. I wish to be here and I AM a neophyte however clever and I'm trying to fulfill my family legacy of being a writer though I never had time to study the canon in as much depth. I am sorry I'm such a fool sometimes, I am carrying a lot and feel alone with much of it too.

I'd welcome a reading suggestion that would occupy my time more productively.

Also I was a pretty successful web developer and designer in my former lives but I don't have much to add with the site redesign other than what I wrote here. I like the simple forum and old school look because I think this site ought to be about words not gloss. I'd LOVE to see a return of the installments on writing well, and sounds like that is in the works perhaps. Meanwhile maybe reading the past decade of Simmons novels will give me something to chew on.

#168522 - 10/08/18 11:04 AM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and the forums [Re: Dan Simmons]
cshl Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Here
Hey Dan,
I'd recommend you alter your email so that it says dan-etc at-sign aol or it can be scraped directly by bots and your spam load will over time really increase. Or create a disposable forwarder email that you can then shut down at some point int he future when you don't need it

And, best wishes!!

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.068 seconds in which 0.063 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art