Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#168483 - 10/04/18 01:04 PM Rejuvenating the web site and forum
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan S. comments:

This posting will be on all 3 interactive Forums here.

I just crossed paths with an old friend, veteran Forum member here called "Ward". My visits with this old pal are always enjoyable and our conversations are always stimulating, but I was surprised this time when he said that he still checks the Forum every morning.

I was surprised because I know I've been negligent in keeping the forum and the entire Dan Simmons web site fresh (I've had that "Under Construction" sign hanging on the site's Home Page for far too long.) Truth is, I've been swamped by various other priorities for quite a while now -- and pressing new priorities seem to pop up all the time -- and haven't gotten around to necessary renewals on the entire web site and specifically on the Forum that I've loved for so long.

It's time for me to get to work:

1) I'm still looking for a web designer to renovate the entire dansimmons.com site. If you're such a person -- or know one whose designs you really like -- please have the web site designer contact me at DanS2731@aol.com and include links to samples of the work as well as rates.

2)It is time to return some real energy to the forums here and -- while doing that -- perhaps persuade some old forum friends of ours to return with their thoughts and opinions on a wide range of topics. We also welcome new members who understand that these forums earned deserved accolades for their civility and the impressive range of their members' expertise.

3) Suggestions for improving both the web site in general and our Forums in particular can be posted here on any of the Forums. I'll acknowledge all such contributions and will consider each of them. (There will be no critique by me of the suggestions, either here on the forums or elsewhere.)

4)Finally, I want to offer a sincere "thank you" to all of you who read the forums (as my friend "Ward" still does each day) and those who've taken the extra time to frame and post your thoughts and opinions here.

Time for me to go to work on all this. I look forward to reading your suggestions and comments.

#168486 - 10/04/18 07:46 PM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: Dan Simmons]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Glad to read this! I have not been around much because Elderly Dad has been in and out of hospital and rehab for the past three months, but like Ward, I do check in to read.

Happy you and Ward had a good visit! Did you visit his Ponder Pond? Call him a muffinhead when he played cowbell while riding his motorcycle in orange pajamas? Did you meet Martha and did she say "moo"?

#168529 - 10/08/18 04:19 PM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: AuntJobiska]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Dan, why not add some additional statistical counters beyond the simple "how many people have viewed this particular page" counters you already have? The data, used properly, might lead to a more finely "tuned" website, increase traffic and so forth. This of course assumes that increased traffic is one of your goals.

In addition, you don't necessarily have to sell your books themselves on this site, but you could put links to each book to its respective Amazon/Barnes & Noble/etc. webpage.

And last but not least, you are the straw that stirs the drink. The more you participate in the website, the more people will reciprocate. They don't come here to read my rantings!

#168530 - 10/08/18 04:41 PM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: jmill]
CEO of the Hegemony

Originally Posted By: jmill

They don't come here to read my rantings!

Dan S. comments:

Hey, I come here to read your rantings, John!

ds

#168531 - 10/08/18 05:33 PM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: Dan Simmons]
Ward Offline
veteran

This is GREAT news. Thank you, Dan. And, Jobiska, one day soon I'll relay what I've learned while pondering at The Ponder Pond. Perhaps I'll find an answer to "what the hell has happened to this country (culture)" and, if I can't find it in "the pond" then I'm hope full some of the great minds that frequent this forum can and will. Later.
#168537 - 10/09/18 08:09 AM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: Dan Simmons]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons
 Originally Posted By: jmill

They don't come here to read my rantings!

Dan S. comments:

Hey, I come here to read your rantings, John!

ds

Haha, you're too kind! We all know it's really the cowbell generator activated by clicking on my posts that attracts you.

#168538 - 10/09/18 08:40 AM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: Dan Simmons]
jryan Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Oakton VA
It's strange, I have been running in circles in my head at how to respond to this thread. I am in a weird position that I probably have time in my schedule to assist in the development of a website, but likely no time to maintain or support it.

In other words, I always have times to give my opinion! ;\)

My first opinion would be to look at using a content management platform like Drupal or Joomla... but that requires a LOT of maintenance. They are nice in that they are a web page version of an Operating System (for lack of a better explanation) that lets you install plug-ins on the web page to do a million different things.. from blogging to forums to store fronts.

They are hugely flexible, but probably not always the most intuitive. I've worked with Joomla, mostly, and there is a lot of work involved in building the framework of a web page, but once it is built the only issue becomes patching and updates which, on occasion, have a way to break all those plug-ins.

The other option is something more straight forward like Wordpress, though I've not looked at wordpress all that much and not sure whether or not it supports forums.

I think the biggest headache, should you choose to accept it, is finding someone who has the time and know-how to port all the content of the current forum into a new forum software (1-2-3 NOT IT!!).

If I get some time this week I'll throw a few options up on my test server (namely Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress) and send you the links and the logins and let you poke around in them. It's been a few years since I got too deep into my web dev hobby, so if I find something along the way that might suit you better I'll host that too.

None of it will be given a Dan Simmons wind dressing.. except maybe an image in a test article to test the functionality.

This is entirely free of charge, by the way, since you've been such a gracious host over the years. And I'm not certain how much use you'll get out of it, in the end. \:\)

Edited by jryan (10/09/18 10:07 AM)

#168550 - 10/11/18 01:20 PM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: Dan Simmons]
JPJK Offline

Loc: Montréal
I simply want to summon Ummon. Sorry about that, too easy I guess.
#168562 - 10/14/18 06:53 AM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: Dan Simmons]
Bob Calco Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Tampa, FL
I am very glad to hear about your renewed commitment to these forums and would love to assist with development of a new site on a more modern platform. I’ve had an idea for such a free-wheeling discussion/debating platform for some time designed around the idea of old-fashioned American pamphleteering, and (as a software engineer) I know how I want to build it. I’d offer you (minimally) free lifetime use of it if you help me get it off the ground as its first prominent author-user and subject matter expert (so to speak). If you are interested just say so, and i’ll ping you at the email above with details. I’d like to get “I, Publius” off my bucket list and onto the great drawing board in the cloud at long last. Let’s kill Facebook,Twitter and the mainstream newspapers while we’re at it. They’ve done enough damage to America’s fine tradition of spirited but civil discourse, having become thought police masquerading as journalists and philanthropists.

"And now I see with eye serene
the very pulse of the machine." -- Wordsworth

#168564 - 10/14/18 11:43 AM Re: Rejuvenating the web site and forum [Re: jryan]
CEO of the Hegemony

Originally Posted By: jryan
It's strange, I have been running in circles in my head at how to respond to this thread. I am in a weird position that I probably have time in my schedule to assist in the development of a website, but likely no time to maintain or support it.

In other words, I always have times to give my opinion! ;\)

My first opinion would be to look at using a content management platform like Drupal or Joomla... but that requires a LOT of maintenance. They are nice in that they are a web page version of an Operating System (for lack of a better explanation) that lets you install plug-ins on the web page to do a million different things.. from blogging to forums to store fronts.

They are hugely flexible, but probably not always the most intuitive. I've worked with Joomla, mostly, and there is a lot of work involved in building the framework of a web page, but once it is built the only issue becomes patching and updates which, on occasion, have a way to break all those plug-ins.

The other option is something more straight forward like Wordpress, though I've not looked at wordpress all that much and not sure whether or not it supports forums.

I think the biggest headache, should you choose to accept it, is finding someone who has the time and know-how to port all the content of the current forum into a new forum software (1-2-3 NOT IT!!).

If I get some time this week I'll throw a few options up on my test server (namely Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress) and send you the links and the logins and let you poke around in them. It's been a few years since I got too deep into my web dev hobby, so if I find something along the way that might suit you better I'll host that too.

None of it will be given a Dan Simmons wind dressing.. except maybe an image in a test article to test the functionality.

This is entirely free of charge, by the way, since you've been such a gracious host over the years. And I'm not certain how much use you'll get out of it, in the end. \:\)

Dan S. comments:

Thanks for the suggestions. I truly appreciate the time you took. My problem is that I have no time to build and run a framework such as those you've been kind enough to suggest. I'm still searching.

ds

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.029 seconds in which 0.022 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art