Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#168455 - 09/28/18 02:22 PM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: jmill]
jryan Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Oakton VA
"Cowards die many times before their deaths. The brave experience death only once."

Jeff Flake has experience another of his thousand today.

#168456 - 09/28/18 04:33 PM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: jryan]
Jason_WB Offline
enthusiast

Loc: CO, USA
Hmmm well I guess that makes me a coward. I've died like A LOT.
#168457 - 09/29/18 01:08 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Jason_WB]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan S. comments:

The Democrats in this judiciary farce have been, not to put too fine a point on it, despicable. Liars. Character assassins. Idiots devoted only to seizing and maintaining power at any cost. They shame their political party and the entire Senate.

But whenever I think of becoming a Republican, I look at Jeff Flake and his ilk and want to be sick at the endless appeasement policies of the Republicans and their legislators. They're moral cowards.

The Majority in the Senate should have voted and confirmed Brett Kavanaugh by now. Their eternal Neville Chamberlain imitations make me almost as sick as do the depredations of the truly despicable Democrats.

What a pathetic mess. And now we have another full week -- for no reason other than Republican cowardice -- to seek out and advertise more false accusations against an honorable man. Where are we? WHO are we?

This shit makes the Joseph McCarthy era look like a period of friendly fair play. The Democrats have now exceeded any person or party in the history of America with their smear tactics of pure character assassination. The next person who says within my hearing range of "Dr." Ford -- why do we always have to use that stupid PhD honorific with this pathetic and obviously disturbed woman? -- that she was "credible" and "powerful", much less "believable", is going to get a set of my knuckles in their teeth.

Jesus, this was shameful. Democrats with no shame whatsoever. Republicans with no spine whatsoever. Shameful.

ds

Edited by Dan Simmons (09/29/18 01:09 AM)

#168458 - 09/30/18 03:59 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Dan Simmons]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Dan, I agree about the lack of spine on the part of the Republicans, but I also know that the first thing you have to learn as a legislator is how to count. The Republicans cannot afford more than one defection on the floor vote, and Flake has joined hands with Neville Chamberlains II & III, so that if Flake didn't get his way with this ridiculous FBI investigation, Senators Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski would have had an excuse to vote no, and Kavanaugh's nomination would have been toast. They could have withstood Flake flaking out, because Pence could cast the tie breaker, but the Unholy Three being joined at the hip would have doomed the nom.

The important thing is to get him confirmed, and to take legislating from the bench away from the Democrats.

And if anyone thinks this smear circus can't get any worse, wait until Ruth Bader Ginsburg croaks or resigns, and see what the Democrats pull out of their asses. The Kavanaugh confirmation hearings will look like a three year-olds tea party.

#168459 - 09/30/18 04:14 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: jmill]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Ford is most definitely a weirdo. She should have worn her pink pussy hat to the hearing if she was going to be honest about things.

And her voice made me cringe. It reminded me of the times when my daughters as teenagers tried to pull the wool over my eyes, and used that phony, quavery voice to convince me that they were emotionally traumatized and thus deserving of my sympathy and unquestioning belief. It didn't work then, and it didn't work Thursday for Ford either. Both of my girls have grown up to be tough, no-nonsense adults who take responsibility for their actions and who stand up for themselves without waiting till decades have passed before saying anything. Ford could learn something from them.

#168460 - 09/30/18 07:29 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: jmill]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
"The only person getting gang raped is Brett Kavanaugh."

I really touched a Hot Button nerve here this week.

First things first: I can’t claim credit for the line. I shamelessly borrowed it from conservative writer Ann Coulter, after re-arranging it a little.

I don’t know Coulter, but I’m guessing she was not trying to make a funny ha ha joke. If you think she was trying to use rape humor, then the jokes on you.

Second of all, I don’t claim to be an expert on writing, semantics or literature like my good friends Craig Wolf and John Philip Sunseri II or our genial host, but in my humble opinion she was expressing irony.

Irony like Alanis Morissette’s song, which is sometimes funny, but not always.

After watching the circus this week, I am reminded that the Democrats are not just interested in defeating Kavanaugh...they are interested in the politics of personal destruction (first made popular by Bill and Hillary Clinton in the White House and their main henchman, Little Georgie Stephanopoplis).

If you don’t believe me, check out these quotes, some of them issued only minutes after President Trump made the announcement.

"I will oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination with everything I have, and I hope a bipartisan majority will do the same.” — Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.
___
“He would tip the balance of the Supreme Court even more against workers’ rights, civil rights, and women’s rights for decades to come.” — Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., a potential 2020 presidential contender.
__
“President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh will be a rubber-stamp for an extreme, right-wing agenda pushed by corporations and billionaires.” — Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.
___

___
“With a subservient Republican Congress and a far-right Supreme Court, there is a real risk that the worst impulses of the Trump presidency will go unchecked.” — No. 2 Senate Democratic leader Richard Durbin of Illinois.
___
“Sadly, the #Resistance is going to try to bork him by portraying him as a cross between Lex Luthor and Darth Vader.” — Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb.
__
“This is a nominee who wants to pave the path to tyranny.” — Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Ore.

Edited by steele,rick (09/30/18 12:46 PM)

#168461 - 09/30/18 10:07 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: steele,rick]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Rick, just wait until ol' Ruthie's seat is in play, if it happens on Trump's watch. The difference between now and then will be the difference between a child's cork popgun in the backyard on a sunny summer day and an electric minigun firing 20 mm canon at a nudist camp picnic. The Democrats will probably want to arrest anyone who even asks the accusers they will most assuredly dig up a question, let alone disagrees with Dem smear tactics.
#168462 - 09/30/18 10:31 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: jmill]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
Very interesting body-language analysis of Ford's testimony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGxr1VQ2dPI

#168463 - 09/30/18 11:48 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Enright]
Jason_WB Offline
enthusiast

Loc: CO, USA
Having grown up in a largely liberal Democrat echo chamber, and also, in fairness, having been younger when I was young, I wish I could earnestly ask here what the ideologies and political stances are that I ought to gain sympathy for with Kavanaugh and the GOP. I say this *extremely* cognizant that it puts me in the theoretical enemy camp, and I want to emphasize that I'm asking, not taking an oppositional defiant stance.

Personally I've been the recipient of a nearly fatal smear campaign and abusive destructive tactics aimed at keeping me in my lane or killing me if necessary. I don't like such things but such is the way of the world. I had some high level Democrats reaching out to me to attempt to assist (sorry I can't really get into the longer story here), but I became distrustful of ALL parties. Premature enlightenment?

Anyway without demanding anyone cater to my request, I am trying to learn from both other perspectives and older perspectives in this public debate. It seems to me that Kavanaugh *may* have been a drunk frat-rapey guy in his youth, just as I *may* have beaten my wife according to some public views. That either case may be completely fabricated is very much true too. And the bigger issue to me is, what is the end goal of appointing this man to the Supreme Court?

#168464 - 09/30/18 12:51 PM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Jason_WB]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Regarding your final question, Jason, I think history will show that SCOTUS nominees who are appointed with an end goal in mind often change their minds and become NOTHING like the judge that their supporters had hoped would rule.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art