Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#168426 - 09/21/18 08:28 AM The ongoing Kavanaugh saga
jryan Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Oakton VA
I've sat back and watched this long enough. This last round of demands is the last straw for me. My only conclusion at this point can be that Dr. Ford is either a craven liar, or at the very least is not as sure of her accusation as has been put forward. A few points:

1) The demand to go second in any testimony is a strong tell that her story isn't as certain as she presents it to be. By demanding to go second she is telegraphing that she fears that Kavanaugh could possibly have ab alibi for any specifics she may present.

2) Demanding that only Senators be allowed to ask questions tells us that the Democrats are looking for a photo-op to use against the Senators in the midterm.

Not to mention, and maybe Jobiska can confirm or deny this as she probably has more experience dealing with traumatized people than I do in my prior life as a social worker, but it seems extremely odd to have someone who suffers a trauma experience amnesia in the way that Dr. Ford is claiming.

As a general rule, as I was taught and experienced, a traumatic event in a person's life is seared into their brain in vivid detail. The mechanism for this is pretty easy to understand, because from the moment of the trauma on the person will replay the even over and over again, usually doubting their own decisions, critiquing the decisions of those around them, essentially making a life study of the event with daily recollection.

Because of this, most traumatic memories are usually rich in mundane details. Moreover, trauma induced amnesia will hide the traumatic event, but not those mundane details. If you find a person is abnormally fixated on a seemingly innocuous event in their past the chances are that they are remembering it in fine detail because they are ignoring the event that triggered the memory.

I've never seen anyone experience a traumatic event and forget the mundane details surrounding them...

Also, on that same note, because of how traumatic even memories are imprinted, they are fairly distinct from imagined traumas (be they purposely fabricated, or the product of psychosis) because traumatic events are remembered from the outside in while fabricated traumas are created from the inside out. As such, fabricated memories will usually only contain the details necessary to meet the emotional demand while traumatic memories are shot through with a thousand small details that you'd rather forget.

Because of all of this I have no choice but to conclude that Dr. Ford's story is false. More to the point, I have a hard time imagining such a story was not manufactured on purpose.

I could go further on why this story started 5 years ago.. back when she didn't have names for her accusers, but that isn't really necessary to make the point.

#168427 - 09/21/18 11:41 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: jryan]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
I believe that the Judiciary Committee should dismiss this matter outright because, 1) The charges appear to describe local misdemeanors (crimes, but not felonies) which have expired under the statute of limitations for bringing such charges forward in Maryland, 2) In a criminal matter, the accused has the right to a fair trial, but 3) the national government, and particularly the legislative branch, does not have the jurisdiction to bring the charges forward, and thus 4) the issue is not determinant under our system.

#168428 - 09/21/18 04:41 PM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Enright]
Little John Offline
old hand

Loc: Bryan, TX
Good points all.

It's pretty damned obvious this is an 11th hour political stunt intended to further delay a vote on Kavanaugh and smear his reputation. Secondary intent being an attempt to prompt potentially useful soundbites to use against Republicans on the committee (and by extension Republicans in general) in the run-up to the November elections, and to send a warning to anyone else who agrees to accept a nomination for office from the Trump administration that their personal and professional reputations will be subjected to the most vicious attacks imaginable.

The Democrats have taken the process of "Borking" to a new low with Kavanaugh's nomination. A pox on their house. The Republicans should put an end to this sick charade and call a vote immediately.

#168436 - 09/25/18 02:41 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Little John]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan S. comments:

In the wee hours of Tuesday morning, Thursday's two testimonies and appearances before the Committee seem years and years away. How many more pathetic women, like Ford and Ms. Rodriguez, will come forward in the next two days with tales of sexual abuse that lack even the simplest corroborating evidence in service to the #Resistance, where ends always justify the means. Means such as perjury and intentionally smearing someone in the deliberate effort to destroy a man's life, profession and reputation through lies rather than allow another conservative justice to sit on the Supreme Court.

Joe McCarthy and his fascist tribunal of the House Un-American Activities Committee in the early 1950's never descended as far into infamy as Dianne Feinstein and the other Democrats have in their desperate and profoundly immoral 11th-hour attempt to derail Judge Kavanaugh. This political party owes not only Kavanaugh but every American a groveling apology.

Edited by Dan Simmons (09/27/18 03:08 AM)

#168440 - 09/25/18 10:12 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Dan Simmons]
Jason_WB Offline
enthusiast

Loc: CO, USA
Having had my life and career ruined by deliberate lies and deception, I would add that in such cases, the victim may well have it coming. I do not claim to know what is best for the country in this case but I agree that such tactics are immoral to say the least.

If you aren't liberal when young, you don't have a heart. But oh what a tangled web we weave. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

#168450 - 09/27/18 07:34 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Jason_WB]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Update: Two men come forward to report to Senate that THEY were the ones who attempted to assault Ford at said pool party.

#168451 - 09/27/18 01:31 PM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: steele,rick]
Jason_WB Offline
enthusiast

Loc: CO, USA
I both know a lot more than anyone ever gives me credit for and also know that I know nothing. I liked the former comedian Louis CK's comment that you ought to listen to older people even when they are wrong, because their wrongness is based on way more information. Which is my way of saying, I wish I knew the "truth" about these proceedings and am skeptical such things exist but am finding much wisdom here in the discussions. I guess my life plan is to stick around as long as possible (in life) and get wiser before I die a gruesome but sublime death.

The shit I did in high school pales compared to the framed shit I did not do but would come back to haunt me should I ever run for public anything. This message sounds like it's about me, which is not my intent. I just find it basically impossible to discern a) what Kavanaugh's actual past transgressions may have been, b) whether I ought to want him on the Supreme Court or not, and c) what if anything is real and true about our Republic. Among other things.

#168452 - 09/27/18 02:12 PM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: Jason_WB]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Originally Posted By: Jason_WB
... I just find it basically impossible to discern a) what Kavanaugh's actual past transgressions may have been, b) whether I ought to want him on the Supreme Court or not, and c) what if anything is real and true about our Republic. Among other things.

If one is being honest, this is the position everyone other than Kavanaugh and this pathetic woman are in: We don't know anything for certain.

My inclination is to believe Kavanaugh, based on Ford's lack of specific detail about what happened, the denial of the second man whom she accused of being involved, and the shifting details of her account. Her testimony after a week or more of coaching from Democratic lawyers and political operatives means nothing to me now, as she has had her "memory" carefully pruned and attuned so that it cannot be easily assailed by anyone honestly seeking the truth.

My disgust for these Democratic smear tactics rather than any first-hand knowledge of the alleged event also pushes me towards believing Kavanaugh, so I can't rely on that alone, but whether he did it or not, these disgusting Democrats need a thorough ass-kicking. This is a vile betrayal of our American system of fair play, and in the broader context this #metoo movement has done irreparable harm to our country with it's guilty-until-proven-innocent fanaticism redolent of the worst of totalitarian states. Talk about fascists!

I cannot wait to vote against anything with a D attached to it come November.

On another note, I wonder if Kavanaugh will sue Ford (and that other idiot who popped up out of nowhere) for slander if he does not get seated on the Supreme Court.

#168453 - 09/28/18 09:45 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: jmill]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Agree with the Slander suggestion.

And by the way, the only person getting gang raped is Brett Kavanaugh.

#168454 - 09/28/18 10:35 AM Re: The ongoing Kavanaugh saga [Re: steele,rick]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

After hearing Kvanaugh's testimony yesterday, it seems unlikely that Kavanaugh would sue Ford. He almost certainly won't if he is confirmed to the Supreme Court, because I think he would consider that demeaning to the office.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art