Super User

Loc: CA
Instead of the Bible, read The Notebook:

https://www.gq.com/story/21-books-you-dont-have-to-read

#168098 - 04/24/18 11:59 AM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: Enright]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Obviously, the editors of this rag are Philistines lacking proper education. Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain was a nasty old racist? Don't they get it? No, they are possessed by their own whacky ideology and can't think for beans. We should all be laughing at them rather than taking the seriously.

At the same time, this is so terribly sad. The message is: read what is easy and superficial (as you yourself are) rather than read good literature and struggle with the big questions. Quick and easy feelgoodism.

Pah.

#168099 - 04/24/18 12:39 PM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: AuntJobiska]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

I couldn't have said it better myself, Auntie. I found that article ridiculous in the extreme. Some of the criticism was "critical theory" nonsense, filled with politically correct nonsense terms that GQ contributors substitute for actual thought: toxic masculinity, racism, misogynistic gender roles, toxic western stereotypes, masculine bluster, etc. The rest of the criticisms were of the Emperor-Joseph-II-criticizing-Mozart variety, wherein the Emperor sagely complained that Mozart's work had "too many notes", or the high school sophomore complaining that the book is "boring".

#168100 - 04/24/18 03:03 PM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: jmill]
springer2 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Temecula, CA
I quit after reading the first two suggestions, figuring I was better off spending my time and energy elsewhere than wasting it on such pathetic dribble. Sounds like I made the right choice.

#168101 - 04/24/18 05:01 PM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: springer2]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan S. comments:

I see that they're remaking a film version of FAHRENHEIT 451 -- one I'm sure with more action and gore than the original novel or the odd little 1966 movie with Oskar Werner and Julie Christie -- but while book-burning seems a somewhat remote form of censorship for the West, banning books and authors in the name of political correctness is as insidious as it is ubiquitous these days.

About 15 years ago, on an extended book tour Australia and New Zealand arranged by my then-UK publisher, I had the honor of addressing several thousand librarians present in a national gathering of librarians in Canberra. My talk about the pitfalls of being a novelist was short -- and garnered some laughs -- until I shared with the audience the fact that censorship in the form of raging Political Correctness was the real and present danger to novelists. The librarians booed and hissed. I was at the end of my prepared talk so I could thank them and bow and leave all while they were booing me.

The list of "don't bother to read this, try this instead" above is an abomination. There's no fault to suggesting new books to read, but setting it up as a replacement to those non-PC books like HUCKLEBERRY FINN, stinks of arrogance and ignorance. As Ernest Hemingway used to say "American literature really started with a book called THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN written by a certain author named Mr. Mark Twain."

Dan

Edited by Dan Simmons (07/09/18 05:44 PM)

#168102 - 04/25/18 09:49 AM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: Dan Simmons]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Now that's truly depressing. Far more so than the silly article in GQ. There's more than one way to burn a book. Also, I could not help being distressed at their booing and hissing you.

Back to the silly article. I suppose this bit got my dander up to start with:

"But a few pages into Bleak House, we realized that not all the Great Books have aged well."

I first read this book the summer between sixth and seventh grade and was mesmerized by it. I read it again one summer in high school, and again in adulthood at least twice. It's my favorite Dickens novel. Aside from the astonishingly good writing and construction, there are the deft characterizations, the clear insights into human nature, human relations, human foibles. Mrs. Jellyby alone is worth the read. That summer between sixth and seventh grade, I was all "aha!" over her. Mrs. Jellybys still abound today, as do the other characters. Too bad that person did not make it past the "first few pages.

ETA: I can see how Bleak House would be a challenge to today's liberals, and far outside their comfort zone.

Edited by AuntJobiska (04/25/18 10:23 AM)

#168107 - 04/25/18 12:54 PM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: AuntJobiska]
Enright Online   content
Super User

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: AuntJobiska
Now that's truly depressing. Far more so than the silly article in GQ. There's more than one way to burn a book. Also, I could not help being distressed at their booing and hissing you.

Back to the silly article. I suppose this bit got my dander up to start with:

"But a few pages into Bleak House, we realized that not all the Great Books have aged well."

I first read this book the summer between sixth and seventh grade and was mesmerized by it. I read it again one summer in high school, and again in adulthood at least twice. It's my favorite Dickens novel. Aside from the astonishingly good writing and construction, there are the deft characterizations, the clear insights into human nature, human relations, human foibles. Mrs. Jellyby alone is worth the read. That summer between sixth and seventh grade, I was all "aha!" over her. Mrs. Jellybys still abound today, as do the other characters. Too bad that person did not make it past the "first few pages.

ETA: I can see how Bleak House would be a challenge to today's liberals, and far outside their comfort zone.

Auntie, your remark in an earlier post, that that message from GQ is, "read what is easy and superficial (as you yourself are) rather than read good literature and struggle with the big questions," really resonated with me. It (that message) stands in sharp contrast to the advice that has come down to us from some of the great scholars of the past, such as Cassius Jackson Keyser, who said to his students in the 1920's, "Are you reading books that are too hard for you? If not, then you are not educated."

For those who come upon it in future years, given the current zeal of the copyists for erasing and writing-over, one almost wonders if the great civilization that once existed here will still show through under the palimpsest of political correctness.

#168241 - 06/12/18 03:18 PM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: Enright]
Gilbert Offline
enthusiast

When I started reading the article I thought it was a joke. Then to my horror I realized it was a serious piece. SF writer Jeff VanderMeer was one of the contributors. Unbelievable.

We should suggest reading Cemetery Dance or Analog instead of GQ.

#168280 - 06/24/18 05:55 PM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: Gilbert]
AuntJobiska Offline
enthusiast

Quote:
At its meeting on Saturday, June 23, 2018, the Association for Library Service to Children Board voted to change the name of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award to the Children's Literature Legacy Award.
This decision was made in consideration of the fact that Wilderís legacy, as represented by her body of work, includes expressions of stereotypical attitudes inconsistent with ALSCís core values of inclusiveness, integrity and respect, and responsiveness.

Link: http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/wildermedal

Just shaking my head here.

#168296 - 06/29/18 02:23 PM Re: 21 Books You Don't Have to Read [Re: AuntJobiska]
jmill Offline
Full Shrike

Someone should immediately steal the Laura Ingalls Wilder title now that the group has abandoned it, and carry on with the awards as before. Who's going to remember the new bland and silly Children's Literature Legacy Award? That's as generic as it gets. Hell, even Costco gave their generic brand a name, Kirkland.

Edited by jmill (06/29/18 02:23 PM)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.717 seconds in which 0.711 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art