Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#167981 - 03/30/18 03:44 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: George Moneo]
George Moneo Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
I'm righting a great wrong and am attacking several of Dan's books that I've never read.

(Some, like the great Joe Kurtz series I've read three times! Why nobody in that hollowed-out shell of creativity that is Hollywood hasn't grabbed these up for movies or series I'll never understand...)

Anyhow, I started SUMMER OF NIGHT. A WINTER HAUNTING is next in the queue. After that THE TERROR. I haven't seen the two-hour premiere yet.

The sign of a great novelist, as I've often explained to my friends, is that you really care about the characters and what happens to them. This is one of those books that you're in almost fearful anticipation from one chapter to the next, hoping your favorite character doesn't die. Dan just gut punched me in SUMMER OF NIGHT...

#168106 - 04/25/18 11:35 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: George Moneo]
JPJK Offline

Loc: Montréal
Ouch. Hard thing to do. I'll give it a try :

1) Hyperion saga : First Dan Simmons' work I ever read. Someone saw me reading at my work's cafeteria and suggested Hyperion to me. Fell in love with it. I doubt any other book will ever take its place in my heart.

2) Carrion Comfort.
I still remember which CD I was listening to when reading this the first time (Empyrium - Weiland ; such a mood fitting the book's atmosphere with Deutsch writing, perfect for the Willy/Saul scenes).

3) Illium/Olympos
4) Summer Of Night
5) Joe Kurtz trilogy : Yes ! That high. What a page turner. Oftenly, I suggest these to get into Dan's work at first.
6) Hollow Man
7) Crook Factory
8) Song Of Kali
9) Flashback
10) Phases Of Gravity
11) Children Of The Night
12) The Terror
13) Drood
14) Fires Of Eden
15) A Winter Haunting
16) Fifth Heart
17) The Abominable (I've got the fear of heights. So well written that I had to stop reading the book from time to time because of this. This was a battle of all moments.)
18) Fires Of Eden
19) Darwin's Blade
20) Black Hills

Didn't include any short story/novella, but I'd like to give big props at the preface from Harlan Ellison in River Styx Runs Upstream. I'll always remember it. Best preface I ever read.

Edited by JPJK (04/25/18 11:38 AM)

#168109 - 04/25/18 02:54 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: JPJK]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
How can you not have read RSRU? It's not that long...

Wait...did you read RSRU?

Can't tell from your post.

#168110 - 04/25/18 03:10 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: steele,rick]
JPJK Offline

Loc: Montréal
 Originally Posted By: steele,rick
How can you not have read RSRU? It's not that long...

Wait...did you read RSRU?

Can't tell from your post.

Sorry, maybe my English is the matter here (French is my first language). Yes, I absolutely read it, like every other novella/short story published by our host. It's only that I can't compare them to the "lengthy novels". Simply didn't include them in my rankings.

#168124 - 04/30/18 11:35 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: JPJK]
George Moneo Offline

Since my last post I've read THE HOLLOW MAN (excellent but sad) and I'm about 1/3 of the way through THE FIFTH HEART. Starts slow but it finally grabbed me and now I can't stop turning the page. I still haven't started (restarted) THE TERROR yet. Any suggestions? Haven't read DROOD or THE ABOMINABLE or CROOK FACTORY yet.
#168125 - 05/01/18 12:22 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: George Moneo]
CPD Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Lorain County, Ohio, USA
All of them

#168190 - 06/01/18 12:10 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: CPD]
George Moneo Offline

I read THE FIFTH HEART. I liked the Holmes/James story and the Moriarty twists in it. THE CROOK FACTORY was a blast! I'm a sucker for WWII espionage tales. This one, including an author that I'm ashamed to say has never been one of my favorites, was excellent. Thanks Dan!
#168192 - 06/01/18 02:06 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: George Moneo]
steele,rick Online   content
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
I would love AMC (or someone) to do a series on The Crook Factory. There are a couple of reasons this would be great. If the producers have some semi-deep pockets, Hemingway's house in Havana could be fully restored for the film. It would be a national treasure, both for Cuba and the US. Also, his boat, The Pilar, has been saved and with a little nautical TLC could put back out to sea to film Papa doing what he loved best...after boxing with his friends, writing and drinking.

The sea-board filming would have to be careful not to suffer from the Jaws Syndrome ...where every scene on the Pequod had different sea conditions...some rough, some smooth as glass, some windy.

#168197 - 06/03/18 02:02 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: steele,rick]
George Moneo Offline

Rick,

I'm a Cuban exile. Or, as I describe myself, Cuban by birth and American by the grace of God. I was lucky enough to arrive on these wonderful shores at almost the age of four, in 1960. I retain no vestigial feelings for the island save the somewhat misplaced 50s era nostalgia that is part of the DNA of my parents' and grandparents' beings, and that was served up to us youngens as a daily drumbeat.

Come December 31 of this year Cuba will have been in an unstoppable death spiral for 60 years. Downhill all the way. The year previous to the events in Dan's book, 1940, saw a new Constitution passed. Not even that document, as forward looking and liberal (in the good sense of that word) a start as it was, could prevent the disaster that was 19 years in the future. The damned "Latin" proclivity for corruption, stubbornness, arrogance, hotheadedness, and stupidity in selecting good leaders, is endemic in the culture. BTW, the Cuban Coast Guard machine-gunning Jewish refugees off the coast is not far-fetched. I've had rather hot arguments (in both languages) with my elders about the shameful way Jewish refugees were treated by the Cuban government during the Second World War. They feel no remorse.

Three generations in from January 1, 1959 and the island still has the same problems, with no solutions in sight. It is, truly, a shithole.

I write all of this as a preface to say that, while I agree with you on the filmable qualities of this excellent novel, not one penny of my money will ever go to the pirates and murderers who run the island. Like all good Marxist-Leninists they take it all to line their pockets at the expense of the citizenry. All of us hoped that November 26, 2016 would be a new dawn for Cuba. That hope, like all hope for the sad island of my birth, is pointless.

Sorry for the rant.

-g

Edited by George Moneo (06/03/18 02:16 PM)

#168198 - 06/03/18 04:42 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: George Moneo]
Enright Offline
Super User

Loc: CA
George, I very much admire your posts, so well written.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art