Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#167659 - 01/07/18 01:37 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: George Moneo]
MrArkadin Offline
addict

Loc: Los Angeles
Carrion Comfort is really astounding and itís opening three chapters or so, through the white knuckle sequence in New Orleans with Melanie Fuller in full bloom, is as exciting as anything Iíve ever read. The book is so sprawling and so ambitious, so generous. As much as I love the book ó Iíve read it three times and will certainly read it again ó I admit there are minor moments here and there that donít ring completely true.

And thatís why Song of Kali remains my go-to for nightmarish, palm sweating paranoid horror. Iíve just never read anything else like it. Itís a groin-kick of a book. Carrion is certainly more FUN. But Kali is a fever.

#167710 - 01/19/18 06:05 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: Lasombra]
kaiser Offline

Loc: Poland
My top 7
1 - The Terror
2 - Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion
3 - Summer of Night
4 - Flashback
5 - Hard Case/Freeze/As Nails
6 - The Abominable
7 - Carrion Comfort

And worst 3
1 - Fires of Eden
2 - Darwin's Blade
3 - Children of the Night

I need to read Phases of Gravity and Ilium/Olympos

#167711 - 01/19/18 07:54 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: kaiser]
CPD Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Lorain County, Ohio, USA
I love all of Dan's books. I've read the HYPERION CANTOS twice and SUMMER OF NIGHT three times and his short story "Sleeping with Teeth Women" several times. My first Simmons book was HYPERION and I was gobsmacked by its richness. I think it still stands as one of the best SF novels written.

If I had to say which of Dan's books was the best based on writing, characterization, plot, etc, I think his magnum opus is DROOD.

#167734 - 01/23/18 11:14 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: Shrike1]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
You left off the category of "Romance Novels", but I think Dan really portrayed one of the most touching love stories of all time in Part 4 of Olympos.

The soul-deep, eternal connection between Achilles and Penthesilea is a romance classic.

#167746 - 01/27/18 07:22 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: CPD]
ColinFraizer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Indiana, USA
Hyperion was my first as well. Your post and Mr. Arkadin's prodded me to move Drood to the top of my reading queue.

I'm just getting ready to toss back a tall glass of laudanum and resume my reading of the Indefatigable's novel.

#167747 - 01/27/18 11:36 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: ColinFraizer]
MrArkadin Offline
addict

Loc: Los Angeles
 Originally Posted By: ColinFraizer
Hyperion was my first as well. Your post and Mr. Arkadin's prodded me to move Drood to the top of my reading queue.

I'm just getting ready to toss back a tall glass of laudanum and resume my reading of the Indefatigable's novel.

Youíre in for a great time. It would be criminal to say anything at all that might spoil your experience, so Iíll limit my comments to saying that Iím hard pressed to think of a book that weaves a spell quite the same way as Drood; the way it insinuates itself into your subconscious, the atmosphere not just of the world but of the characters, and the absolutely sublime and expert way that Dan navigates the treacherous straits between inevitably and surprise ó I was drunk on that book the entire time I read it.

#167859 - 02/26/18 08:34 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: MrArkadin]
Rabbit Offline
enthusiast

Loc: america
1 The Terror (perhaps best novel I have ever read)

Choices 2-6 are virtually on par with each other and I also list them as some of the best novels I have ever read.

2 Drood (Just the relationship & meetings between Collins & Dickens only can carry this novel, fantastic stuff)
3 Phases of Gravity (a gem of a book, it deeply moved me)
4 Black Hills
5 The Fifth Heart (Ever since meeting Holmes in Black Hills, I was praying for this novel and it didn't disappoint)
6 The Crook Factory (Somebody please make this into a film)

7 Carrion Comfort (My first Simmons novel read at the age of 13, twisted my mind for good ;\) )
8 Song of Kali (read just after Carrion Comfort, very disturbing stuff)
9 Summer of night
10 The Hollow Man
11 Flashback (The ending of this novel left me very unsettled)

12 Hyperion
13 The fall of Hyperion
14 The abominable
15 Children of the night
16 Winter haunting

I haven't included the short works in this list.

I have been reading Mr Simmons novels since the age of 13, I am now almost a half century old and hope to be given time to catch up with the backlog and see many more works from his pen.

The painful wait for Omega Canyon is becoming soul destroying!!!

At least I can look forward to the Terror mini series.....looks so good!!

#167865 - 02/27/18 10:24 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: Rabbit]
steele,rick Offline
Super User

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
You might might might also be looking forward to seeing the movie Flashback. There is some buzz about it being made.

#167882 - 03/06/18 09:25 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: Lasombra]
mcalvin23 Offline

Loc: Greece
My top 10 list:

Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion
Phases of Gravity
A Winter Haunting
The Terror
Song of Kali
Endymion/Rise of Endymion
Summer of Night
Ilium/Olympos
Carrion Comfort
The hollow man

#167897 - 03/08/18 07:32 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: mcalvin23]
George Moneo Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
I just reread SONG OF KALI and am attacking CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT again. SONG OF KALI is a punch in the gut. What a great novel!

(Oh! And I'm attacking THE TERROR next. Haven't read it yet.)

Edited by George Moneo (03/08/18 07:33 PM)

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Hop to:

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art