Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#167614 - 12/25/17 10:54 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: Lasombra]
Shrike1 Online   content
veteran

Loc: Greenville, NC
Speaking of great endings to a book by Dan, how about this one from SUMMER OF NIGHTÖ

"Dale joined his friends in watching as the Echo reached the zenith and began to fade. A minute later they were arguing baseball and shouting at each other about whether the Cubs would ever win another pennant, and Dale was only slightly aware of it as a warm breeze blew across the endless fields, rustling the silk tassels on a million stalks of corn, as if promising many more nights of summer and another bright, hot day after the short interlude of night.Ē

One of my favorites!

#167618 - 12/27/17 03:44 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: Lasombra]
Shrike Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Russia, Ekaterinburg
My Firs 5:
1 - Hyperion / Endymion
2 - The Terror
3 - Hollow man
4 - Carrion comfort
5 - Ilium / Olympos

Edited by Shrike (12/27/17 03:44 AM)

#167622 - 12/27/17 08:18 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: MrArkadin]
ScottSA Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: MrArkadin
Iíve been remiss and not read them all yet, a deficiency I mean to remedy soon. But of the ones Iíve read:

Song of Kali ó my first, always have a soft spot for it
The Fifth Heart ó astonishing.
Drood ó I adore this book
Carrion Comfort ó my second and still terrific
The Terror
Phases of Gravity
Children of the Night
Flashback
Hard Case/Freeze/As Nails ó cheating to pile them together? Maybe. Itís my list.
Summer of Night
A Winter Haunting

This all just goes to show the silliness of list making, at least for me. I canít say theyíre really in order ó five of these could rotate into the top spot on any given day. And there are so many I havenít gotten to yet.

Dude...you absolutely have to read Hyperion/Endymion. I found it to actually be mind expanding, and if you knew what a hardened conservative stoic I am, you'd understand how high that praise really is.

#167625 - 12/30/17 04:37 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: ScottSA]
MrArkadin Offline
addict

Loc: Los Angeles
 Originally Posted By: ScottSA
 Originally Posted By: MrArkadin
Iíve been remiss and not read them all yet, a deficiency I mean to remedy soon. But of the ones Iíve read:

Song of Kali ó my first, always have a soft spot for it
The Fifth Heart ó astonishing.
Drood ó I adore this book
Carrion Comfort ó my second and still terrific
The Terror
Phases of Gravity
Children of the Night
Flashback
Hard Case/Freeze/As Nails ó cheating to pile them together? Maybe. Itís my list.
Summer of Night
A Winter Haunting

This all just goes to show the silliness of list making, at least for me. I canít say theyíre really in order ó five of these could rotate into the top spot on any given day. And there are so many I havenít gotten to yet.

Dude...you absolutely have to read Hyperion/Endymion. I found it to actually be mind expanding, and if you knew what a hardened conservative stoic I am, you'd understand how high that praise really is.

I KNOW!

Now I have your voice in my head to add to the others (my own, Danís, etc) and even without them it would be sufficient recommendation.

One of the saddest facts of my life is not only the sheer volume of books I already own and will never get to read, but that with each passing year that number dwindles. I hate how my fiction reading has dropped off in the years since I became a father (of three) and a busy professional, but Iím bound and determined to not miss Hyperion or Endymion. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

#167628 - 12/31/17 06:01 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: MrArkadin]
ThatMcKenzie Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Kentucky
I loved the stuff before, all of it, but Muse of Fire set a new standard for stacking together story and exegesis. There are so many layers, so many self-referential layers, that it was difficult but O so rewarding to read.

#167636 - 01/02/18 10:12 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: Enright]
Gilbert Offline
enthusiast

1. Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion
2. Phases of Gravity
3. The Terror
4. Drood
5. Song of Kali

#167649 - 01/04/18 03:06 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: Gilbert]
George Moneo Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
A terrible confession: I've read lots of the books listed above, and still have quite a few left. (My favorites, in keeping with the theme of this thread, are HYPERION/ENDYMION, the three JOE KURTZ novels (!), ILIUM/OLYMPUS, FLASHBACK, CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT, and SONG OF KALI.) However, one glaring hole in my Simmons reading had been CARRION COMFORT. I'm reading it now. I just finished the chapter where a certain family is murdered (no spoilers).

Holy crap! What a book! I'm a nervous wreck reading it. Don't have a clue as to what to expect next. As always your characters are as alive as they can be on the printed page. Thanks, Dan!

#167650 - 01/04/18 08:00 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: George Moneo]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

CARRION COMFORT was my first Simmons novel, and my favorite by far. It made me an instant fan of Dan Simmons. It's a masterpiece of modern horror/science fiction. SONG OF KALI is a fabulous, award-winning horror book, and probably comes closest to COMFORT in making your palms sweat, but if forced to choose between the two, I'd have to go with COMFORT as the greatest thrill ride. I envy you reading it for the first time, George Moneo. I've read it twice, and plan to read it again, but there's nothing like that first read.

Edited by jmill (01/04/18 08:01 PM)

#167652 - 01/05/18 10:19 AM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: jmill]
George Moneo Offline

Melanie Fuller -- the sweet, gentile, well-mannered, well-spoken Southern lady -- is one of the most evil characters I've ever encountered in fiction. And that includes Bill Borden. I'm completely hooked by this book. Hope to finish it by next week.
#167657 - 01/06/18 01:37 PM Re: Ranking Dan Simmons' Books [Re: George Moneo]
George Moneo Offline

Freudian slip in my last post: I meant genteel, not gentile...
Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Hop to:

Generated in 0.385 seconds in which 0.378 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art