Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#167577 - 12/21/17 09:24 PM Hyperion/Endymion Movie
Johnkenerson71 Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
So has there been any movement on these projects. I thought I read somewhere that DiCaprio had expressed interest in it and then Bradley Cooper (totally behind casting him as Raul, even though he's a little older).

Technology and film production schedules have certainly gotten to the point where these could be made. Even better as a miniseries on Netflix or Amazon. How amazing would be it be to see these books brought to life, and with Netflix or another independent production house, a lot of the depth of the books could be realized since you don't have to slam everything into a 2 hour movie.

So who would be some of your casting choices?

The Consul - Liam Neeson
Brawne - Gina Carano
Silenus - Phillip Seymour Hoffman would have been perfect, but how about going with Steven Root
Kassad - Oded Fehr (from The Mummy)
Weintraub - Adrien Brody (age him a bit)
Hoyt - Andrew Garfield
Masteen - Daniel Dae Kim (Lost)

#167590 - 12/22/17 07:20 PM Re: Hyperion/Endymion Movie [Re: Johnkenerson71]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan S. comments to Johnkenerson71:

Besides saying "Welcome to the Forums", I have to say that I really like parts of your cast list for HYPERION: THE MOVIE.

As for anything happening on that front . . . no. Graham King Films (GK Films now) bought all the rights of all four Hyperion books (and a novella) some years ago and now share them with Warner Bros. All the Bradley Cooper stuff was nonsense. When Charlie Rose (back before he was . . . ah . . . exposed) asked Cooper which movie he'd really like to make, the actor waxed rhapsodic about this book he and his buddy in college loved . . . HYPERION.

As I heard the story (from my various moles in the L.A. machinery), Cooper said he wanted to write a treatment for HYPERION and GK films gave him a shot at it. Turned out that the actor couldn't break the novel down into a workable. He also couldn't write. (Note: better men than he have tried -- Disney Studios threw writers at deconstructing the HYPERION novel for film for 5 years long ago. Couldn't do it.) So Cooper then announced that he'd just write the entire SCREENPLAY. Naturally, if he couldn't figure out a treatment, he couldn't do a screenplay. (None of this took much of the invaluable actor's time, by the by.)

I'm told, by unreliable white horse souses, that Cooper then announced to the Hollywood press that he'd produce an Hyperion series on the SyFy Channel. The report is that this network said fine and dandy, if Bradley Cooper would appear in it from time to time. Now the reports get foggy, although oddly similar, in "quoting" Bradley Cooper as saying to the SyFy entity -- "Are you fucking kidding??? This is just . . . gag . . . TV!!!"

So . . . nada, zilch, nichts, niemals.

But thank you, Bradley . . . for setting the entire HYPERION: THE MOVIE project back a year and more. [Note: at no time during this actor-plays-with-his-toys joke did Cooper ever contact the author of the novel he said meant so much to him and his roommate through college and beyond. Of course not!! I've been around the L.A. industry just long enough to know -- deep in my marrow -- that going to the novelist for a film is a ludicrous and preposterous idea.]

No bitterness here, gang, just more wry bemusement. Of course, since the septic tank motor broke down, I have a basement filled with wry bemusement.

Dan

Edited by Dan Simmons (12/22/17 07:23 PM)

#167804 - 02/08/18 07:34 PM Re: Hyperion/Endymion Movie [Re: Dan Simmons]
Johnkenerson71 Offline

Dan,
Thank you for your reply. That's really disheartening, since this would make an incredible mini-series. Maybe with the success that Netflix is having with original programming (Altered Carbon was awesome) there's yet hope for bringing your universe to the screen. I admit that several of my friends and I have had numerous conversations about how to bring your universe to life, but it's so dense and detailed, that I can see the difficulty.

On another note, who would be on your bucket list to play some of the characters you've created? I'm sure that we would all love to see a list of who you think could do your characters justice?

#167811 - 02/09/18 03:54 PM Re: Hyperion/Endymion Movie [Re: Johnkenerson71]
Johnkenerson71 Offline

Dan,
Just for fun, I tried adapting the prologue from Hyperion to a screenplay and it was so dense for just those few pages. But man, the imagery that your words were evoking. If I had a budget, I could build some really cool shots.

One of my goals is to scratchbuild a version of the Consul's ship. But the way you describe it in the books, it just doesn't seem like it would make a very interesting model. Is that on purpose? Your descriptions of spaceships often are very sparse and simple. Is that to allow the reader to fill in the details?

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.033 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art