Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#167291 - 09/12/17 04:47 PM The Orville
RIck Steele Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
I will be watching the Pilot of "The Orville" on Fox tonight. I was going to watch it Sunday, but we had a prior engagement with a windy bitch named Irma. She blew into Florida Sunday morning, smashing the Keys, crossing over to Marco Island then up the center of the state via the Peace River Valley. Millions were affected all across the state and recovery efforts are underway. So tonight's new show will be a welcome respite.

Edited by RIck Steele (09/12/17 04:50 PM)

#167292 - 09/12/17 08:44 PM Re: The Orville [Re: RIck Steele]
enthusiast

The Orville has wings! Fox's new show was worth the look, with homages to other shows and interesting plot lines. They rode the donkey, zapped a banana, visited the head, even pulled one over on Captain Ed. Buckle up!
#167303 - 09/18/17 07:01 AM Re: The Orville [Re: RIck Steele]
enthusiast

Episode 2 continues to pay homage to previous SF shows, worth waiting for the Broncos to bash the Cowboys in the rain. Any comments here?
#167337 - 09/22/17 06:49 PM Re: The Orville [Re: RIck Steele]
ScottL Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: US
Watch episode 3. A serious examination of a significant issue in the vein of TNG's "A measure of a Man". I'm not on MacFarlane's wavelength of comedy, but the episode was very well done and this show looks promising.
#167338 - 09/22/17 09:30 PM Re: The Orville [Re: ScottL]
enthusiast

The episode was called, "About a girl". It could have also been called "Girl...interrupted". Unexpected ending. STD starts Sunday then goes over to CBS pay per view. Will viewers follow?
#167354 - 09/27/17 01:40 PM Re: The Orville [Re: RIck Steele]
CPD Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Lorain County, Ohio, USA
One of my brothers-in-law insightfully commented to me that The Orville's humor would be funnier if the show were animated. MacFarlane's background for The Family Guy and American Dad has made him a writer for animation, which seems to be not quite right for live action. So far, to me, it seems to be a ST:TNG-like version of Star Trek populated with normal people rather than Roddenberry's utopian Starfleet.

Fox is putting The Orville up against Thursday Night Football, so we'll see if it makes it past the first 13 episodes. I'm calling odds at 50-50 right now.

Meanwhile, Star Trek: Discovery seems very promising. I've only seen the pilot, but at least it wasn't a lot of just talking, which TNG often fell into.

#167355 - 09/27/17 04:56 PM Re: The Orville [Re: CPD]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

The Orville: Seth MacFarlane is like Henny Youngman: "Take my wife -- please!" His humor is an ill-fit for a show that ultimately tries to have a serious (or semi-serious) adventure-of-the-week format. It diminishes the main character (MacFarlane) as the captain of a ship with all those lives depending on him. He should have gone for complete anarchy in his approach to the "Star Trek Universe". Instead he's trying to eat his cake and have it too. That won't work. He has to decide where he wants the show to be, because right now it's schizophrenic. It looks like a bunch of fan-boys hit the lottery and then decided to write and produce their own version of their favorite TV show, and pepper it periodically with frat-boy humor. Plus, there's something decidedly uncharismatic about MacFarlane as an actor. I think he just doesn't exude any gravitas. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think he's far more suited as a supporting actor than a leading man.

His humor works in an animated format. It doesn't with real people, unless he goes all-in on the crazy, over-exuberant style he's perfected with his animated shows.

#167356 - 09/27/17 04:56 PM Re: The Orville [Re: jmill]
jmill Online   content
Full Shrike

p.s.-If the NFL players keep kneeling for the national anthem, the Orville will do fine.

#167357 - 09/27/17 10:07 PM Re: The Orville [Re: jmill]
springer2 Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Temecula, CA
I think McFarlane is a singularly unfunny dude. Way too obvious for my tastes. But hey, to each his own.

Springer

#167358 - 09/28/17 05:11 AM Re: The Orville [Re: springer2]
jryan Online   content
Hardcase

Loc: Oakton VA
I'm developing a theory that people named Seth just aren't funny but most people don't realize that.

It sounds like The Orville suffers all the same problems of Seth Rogan's THE INTERVIEW: A film with a great premise, some very interesting content, and some genuinely some interesting acting that was unfortunately and completely Seth Rogened.

Edited by jryan (09/28/17 05:13 AM)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:

Generated in 0.075 seconds in which 0.067 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art