#150945 - 10/16/13 08:18 PM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Dan Simmons]
Enright Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: Dan Simmons
 Originally Posted By: Enright
 Originally Posted By: Rabbit
 Originally Posted By: Enright
Well, I made the mistake on a whim of going on Amazon and looking at the Abominable and reading the fascinating introduction, so I'm in a dither until the book comes out. Not knowing diddly about him, I was so drawn to Mr. Perry, the real-life mountaineer, and I kept thinking how fortunate it was that he was still alive when Dan met him and all, one of the great coincidences, and I really wished that I had had a chance to know him too. Now (as in the meaning of now to be the present), I understand some people are insisting that the great and aforementioned Mr. Perry is a fictional character, of all the absurd things, and I just want to shake some sense into them. NOOOOO way.

So, Mr Jake Perry is not a fictional character and Mr Simmons really did meet with him?

ps

Sorry for the post, I found the answer myself, I quote from amazon:

Quote:
Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
Even Jake Perry, the fictional travelogue author Dan Simmons meets

So he never really existed

The point of my ironical post was that people, such as whoever it was above who said, "Jake Perry, the fictional travelogue author," are glaringly wrong beyond redemption, and should spend some time in the primordial ooze and start over, but not by course or necessity any of those who may have been led astray by their misdirections, I would think.

Dan Simmons comments:

Some of the reviewers mentioned here, including PW, stated in their revieews that the novel "takes place in 1924", which is incorrect. The expedition was in 1925. One of the reviews, perhaps the same Publishers Weekly review, also states baldly that my trio of climbers go to Mt. Everest to "discover what happened to George Mallory and Irvine" --which is dead wrong. The trio is hired by Lady Bromley to go to Everest in 1925 (there were no formal British expeditions to Everest between the disastrous year of 1924 and 1933) to "rescue" her son, Lord Percival Bromley -- a rescue that our climbers know is impossible -- or to recover his body.

Re: Jake Perry's existence or non-existence, you might take note of my dedication of the novel:

TO JACOB (JAKE) WILLIAM PERRY
1902-1992

(Then an appropriate line of verse.)

Would I have dedicated a major novel to a fictional character?

ds

Says it all.

#150946 - 10/17/13 01:18 AM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Dan Simmons]
Rabbit Offline
enthusiast

Dan Simmons comments:

Some of the reviewers mentioned here, including PW, stated in their revieews that the novel "takes place in 1924", which is incorrect. The expedition was in 1925. One of the reviews, perhaps the same Publishers Weekly review, also states baldly that my trio of climbers go to Mt. Everest to "discover what happened to George Mallory and Irvine" --which is dead wrong. The trio is hired by Lady Bromley to go to Everest in 1925 (there were no formal British expeditions to Everest between the disastrous year of 1924 and 1933) to "rescue" her son, Lord Percival Bromley -- a rescue that our climbers know is impossible -- or to recover his body.

Re: Jake Perry's existence or non-existence, you might take note of my dedication of the novel:

TO JACOB (JAKE) WILLIAM PERRY
1902-1992

(Then an appropriate line of verse.)

Would I have dedicated a major novel to a fictional character?

ds

I love it!!!

This comment is like what the Shrike is to the Technocore, hello uncertainty.

#150948 - 10/17/13 01:43 AM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Rabbit]
NiñoViento Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Spain
Ditto!
I'm enjoying this so much, even though I'm afraid someone may say something which could spoil my reading of the novel (aka the pitfall danger!). It really is an honor to share this moment with you all!. If we are not the brotherhood of the rope, at least we can be the one of the thread.

NV

#150951 - 10/17/13 09:28 AM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Dan Simmons]
Shrike1 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Greenville, NC
Dan,

I really don’t know where to ask this, maybe the writing well section about editors and changes during the writing process, but it’s just a curiosity I have regarding the initial synopsis of THE ABOMINABLE.

This was the first description I saw from the publisher when the book going to be released in 2012…

Quote:
25-yr-old American Jake Perry, 24-yr-old Frenchman Jean-Claude Clairoux, and 34-year-old British poet, hero of the Great War, and climbing legend Richard David Deacon learn of Mallory and Irvine's disappearance in a newspaper wrapping their sandwiches. It seems that the same day that Mallory and Irvine disappeared, two other climbers in the party were lost -- the 35-yr-old English wastrel and future Lord Wessex and an unnamed German support climber.

Lady Wessex has been having dreams that her son is still alive on Mount Everest, miraculously surviving in an ice cave or on the glacier 4,000 feet below. Deacon promises Lady Wessex that their small expedition will "find your son and return him to England".

And this is the 2013 synopsis with the correct character names…

Quote:
It's 1924 and the race to summit the world's highest mountain has been brought to a terrified pause by the shocking disappearance of George Mallory and Sandy Irvine high on the shoulder of Mt. Everest. By the following year, three climbers -- a British poet and veteran of the Great War, a young French Chamonix guide, and an idealistic young American -- find a way to take their shot at the top. They arrange funding from the grieving Lady Bromley, whose son also disappeared on Mt. Everest in 1924. Young Bromley must be dead, but his mother refuses to believe it and pays the trio to bring him home.

I know this is just geeky, down in the nuts and bolts of the writing process minutia, but were you originally planning to go with the Wessex name and had to change it for some reason or was the original press release a screwup?

Greg, looking for some way to pass the time until Tuesday…

#150953 - 10/17/13 09:52 AM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Shrike1]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Shrike1
Dan,

I really don’t know where to ask this, maybe the writing well section about editors and changes during the writing process, but it’s just a curiosity I have regarding the initial synopsis of THE ABOMINABLE.

This was the first description I saw from the publisher when the book going to be released in 2012…

Quote:
25-yr-old American Jake Perry, 24-yr-old Frenchman Jean-Claude Clairoux, and 34-year-old British poet, hero of the Great War, and climbing legend Richard David Deacon learn of Mallory and Irvine's disappearance in a newspaper wrapping their sandwiches. It seems that the same day that Mallory and Irvine disappeared, two other climbers in the party were lost -- the 35-yr-old English wastrel and future Lord Wessex and an unnamed German support climber.

Lady Wessex has been having dreams that her son is still alive on Mount Everest, miraculously surviving in an ice cave or on the glacier 4,000 feet below. Deacon promises Lady Wessex that their small expedition will "find your son and return him to England".

And this is the 2013 synopsis with the correct character names…

Quote:
It's 1924 and the race to summit the world's highest mountain has been brought to a terrified pause by the shocking disappearance of George Mallory and Sandy Irvine high on the shoulder of Mt. Everest. By the following year, three climbers -- a British poet and veteran of the Great War, a young French Chamonix guide, and an idealistic young American -- find a way to take their shot at the top. They arrange funding from the grieving Lady Bromley, whose son also disappeared on Mt. Everest in 1924. Young Bromley must be dead, but his mother refuses to believe it and pays the trio to bring him home.

I know this is just geeky, down in the nuts and bolts of the writing process minutia, but were you originally planning to go with the Wessex name and had to change it for some reason or was the original press release a screwup?

Greg, looking for some way to pass the time until Tuesday…

Dan Simmons comments:

It wasn't my change or error. I have no idea where their "Wessexes" came from. It was always young Percival Bromley and his mother, Lady Bromley.

Also, the main climber and hero of the Great War is Richard Davis Deacon, not "David". It'd be a pleasant change if people who write such summaries of the book read the damn thing -- or at least speak to someone who has.

DS

#150955 - 10/17/13 10:25 AM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Dan Simmons]
McQ Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I think I should have just ignored this thread, rather than read it.

All this talk about Jacob William Perry and whether or not he is fictional has actually made me significantly less interested in reading the novel I've been waiting a year to read, and have pre-ordered.

Sometimes, you just want people to stop being coy, you know?

But don't mind me, I'm just being grouchy. I'll come around.

Edited by McQ (10/17/13 01:56 PM)

#150966 - 10/17/13 03:07 PM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: McQ]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
Hardcase

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: McQ

All this talk about Jacob William Perry and whether or not he is fictional has actually made me significantly less interested in reading the novel I've been waiting a year to read, and have pre-ordered.

Come around or don't come around. The earth abides. The sun also rises.

ds

#150968 - 10/17/13 04:01 PM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Dan Simmons]
Brian Hunt Offline

Loc: Gainesville, FL
This is one hell of a book. I have almost finished the preview and can't wait for the full beast to be delivered to my doorstep Tuesday. The scene of Whymper's Matterhorn descent is downright terrifying. Dan, thanks for breaking your rule of not discussing your work here and sharing some insight into this novel. Always a fan of your ability to synthesize research into a fictional narrative.

And looking forward to how AMC handles the script rewrite for the killer mutant penguin in THE TERROR. Oh, sorry. Spoiler alert.

#150970 - 10/17/13 05:38 PM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Brian Hunt]
steele,rick Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Is it just me, or am I seeing Yetis everywhere? A short item on ABC news tonight and then the Wheat Thins night vision commercial? Someone's getting some good pre-publicity out there.
#151150 - 10/23/13 10:57 AM Re: The Abominable - reviewed [Re: Dan Simmons]
McQ Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
 Originally Posted By: McQ

Come around or don't come around. The earth abides. The sun also rises.

ds

I realize that my grouchy post looks much more like a slam than I meant it to be. For that, my apologies to Mr. Simmons. Try to picture it more like a bunch of guys sitting around a table, maybe downing some good beers, playing cards, talking shop and what have you, and one of them saying, "Oh, just knock it off and get on with the game!"

It came across more offensive, which is one of the countless reasons I'm not a writer. I AM reading and enjoying this novel.

Edited by McQ (10/23/13 10:58 AM)

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Dan Simmons 
Hop to:

Generated in 0.443 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art