Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#138677 - 07/18/12 02:17 PM Creator of Encyclopedia Brown dies at 87
JamesA Offline
veteran

Loc: Florida
Donald J. Sobol, creator of Encyclopedia Brown, dies at 87

A quiet note this past week, but one worth mentioning for sure. I read every Encyclopedia Brown book our school library had. A 10-yr old Sherlock in sneakers who charged 25 cents a case and never missed. The cases were often solved at the dinner table (remember when families always ate there?) and usually before dessert. Occasionally, a case would involve kids in the neighborhood being menaced by the aptly-named Bugs Meany, who never could get one past young Leroy Brown. And the muscle was provided by a loyal female sidekick named Sally. Sobol had a great format in that the case was solved first with no more than a few questions, and then explained in detail. Very much the way a certain Mr. Holmes used to do it.

Just some reassuring proof that stories can be simple and still be memorable. And the ultimate compliment to a writer is to say I enjoyed his work more than 25 years after I last put it down.

- J

#169748 - 03/24/20 07:36 AM Re: Creator of Encyclopedia Brown dies at 87 [Re: JamesA]
leonamargret Offline

Loc: Animation Kingdom
The encyclopedia is cell phone booster such an amazing invention that help many people for studying different aspects of in their life. The man who behind the invention of this encyclopedia is so creative and hats off to him.
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art