Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 5 of 70 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#41 - 05/24/06 08:36 AM movie! [Re: Dan Simmons]
colorbird Offline

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Quote:

Dan Simmons replies to an earlier post query --

The four HYPERION-ENDYMION books (along with the "Orphans of the Helix" novella set in the same Hyperion universe) sold (note: not "was optioned" or "had options renewed" but sold) to the movies this February of '06. But the details of the sale and plans for the project have not been released by the studio(s) involved yet, so both courtesy and contractual obligations require me to wait until they make their announcement before I make mine. (Whether the films will actually be made, of course, is a quite separate topic). -- Dan S.

I hope they are made ... what a wonderful set of movies that would be.

#42 - 05/24/06 09:37 AM Re: movie! [Re: colorbird]
cshl Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Here
Quote:

I hope they are made ... what a wonderful set of movies that would be.

Unless Dan retained contributory and veto powers over script -- very veryrare for a writer to be able to get (I know of only one writer who has) -- they'll be in all liklihood, the usual hash of Hollywood Sci-Fi fare (sorry Dan!)

#43 - 05/25/06 08:45 AM Re: Firefox User [Re: Karenas]
NoC Offline
enthusiast

Just though I'd earn some karma points...

If anyone is having problems with Firefox, you may want to visit this link:
http://ietab.mozdev.org/

This allows Firefox to render pages using IE scripting. Better yet, it does so in a tab, not a new window.

#44 - 06/06/06 04:31 PM Re: Welcome [Re: Dan Simmons]
bookworm Offline

Loc: (stuck in..)Lancaster, CA.
I just discovered Dan Simmons (Yhea, where have I been? In the Dean Knootz board I'm afraid). I read "Summer of Night" and I'm amazed. Rearly does a book pull me in as thouroughly as this one did. Are all of DS's books this good?

#45 - 06/06/06 04:34 PM Re: Welcome [Re: bookworm]
John_Sunseri Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Portland, OR
Oh, just wait til you hit 'Carrion Comfort', my friend...

#46 - 06/07/06 02:26 PM Re: Welcome [Re: bookworm]
Orlun Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

Are all of DS's books this good?

Out of all the authors I follow, DS is at the top of the list at providing a consistantly good read. I've followed his work into genres I normally wouldn't an they remain enthralling. He's earned an automatic purchase of any new works in hardback for me and his pending work "The Terror" is already in my shopping cart on Amazon.

#47 - 06/19/06 10:11 AM Re: Welcome [Re: nemomephon]
compcomplex Offline

Loc: Florida
I recently finished the Hyperion series of books and have become a fan of Mr. Simmons writing style - quite different from the normal SF stuff on the shelves. I originally came to this website in search of more info on Dan Simmons literature, as well as express my joy with his work. What I wanted to say comes very close to what nemomephon has written.

Without a doubt, the Hyperion series is by far the greatest series I have ever read. I've been an avid reader of SF for 24 years and have read books from Asimov, Benford, Baxter, Clarke, Hebert, and Reynolds to name a few. Series such as the Foundation, Space Odyssey, and Dune come to mind. In my opinion, the Hyperion series is a classis that stands above these. The themes, ideas, and mostly characters are so thought provoking that to quote nemomephon, "...your work [hyperion/endymion] has stayed with me, fed me, and amazed me." As far as characters, the Shrike is possibly the best ever dreamed of.

If the post comes across as to "hero worshippy" I make no apologies. It takes a lot of guts to put a forum out here with a potential to make lots of comments (good and bad) about ones work. Needless to say, I'm impressed and amazed this is out here. I look forward to returning to this forum and learning more about your novels. Mr. Simmons, good luck in your future endeavors.

#48 - 06/27/06 11:33 AM Re: Welcome [Re: Orlun]
Clemens Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Holland
Quote:

Quote:

Are all of DS's books this good?

Out of all the authors I follow, DS is at the top of the list at providing a consistantly good read. I've followed his work into genres I normally wouldn't an they remain enthralling. He's earned an automatic purchase of any new works in hardback for me and his pending work "The Terror" is already in my shopping cart on Amazon.

Yes I mirror that sentiment. I was never into SF until Hyperion. It showed me that there can be intelligent SF. The atmosphere and the ideas really attracted me. It was really great to move into that world for a little while. I wonder if mr. Simmons could ever have the same experience. Like they say, the cook does not enjoy the dinner as much as the guest.

Perhaps somebody can point me to some more SF that is not the clichee boring stuff?

#49 - 06/28/06 01:18 AM Re: Welcome [Re: Dan Simmons]
Rennie123 Offline

Loc: South Africa
I would like to know if you will be continuing the Hyperion series, I have just completed the "Last" book The Rise of Endymion, which had such a bitter sweet ending, I feel there are so many more stories to be told, and in the hands of such a capable writer as yourself, I feel it can only just continuing being a successful "cantos"
#50 - 06/28/06 01:12 PM Re: Welcome [Re: Rennie123]
Dan Simmons Administrator Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Colorado
Dan Simmons to Rennie123 --

There will be no more novels set in the Hyperion universe after THE RISE OF ENDYMION. Not by me, not written by anyone else. I have left the door open to doing some short fiction in the Hyperion setting and did publish a novelette (or maybe it was a novella, I always forget), titled "Orphans of the Helix" that was set sometime after the events of The Rise of Endymion (and which won a Locus Award, if I remember correctly.) I was going to write another Hyperion-universe story this spring for Gardner Dozois's upcoming THE NEW SPACE OPERA anthology, but decided to create a new universe for that tale, which I titled "Muse of Fire."

There are a lot more stories that could be told from the Hyperion universe, but as a reader I dislike infinologies and the strong feeling of diminishing returns that we -- as readers -- get from staying too long at the party. However much we, as readers AND writers, like returning to something familiar that we greatly enjoyed, the better creative thing to do, I firmly believe, is to move on to new things.

But the four Hyperion/Endymion novels will always be there to reread . . . if they're worth rereading.

-- DS

Page 5 of 70 « First<34567>Last »

Hop to:

Generated in 0.037 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art