Home        About Dan        News        Books        Forum        Art

Page 33 of 67 « First<3132333435>Last »
Topic Options
#74179 - 07/12/09 10:47 AM Re: Welcome [Re: ]
John_Sunseri Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Portland, OR
Boy, that's a whole lot of horrible spelling for a newspaper article. 'Hemmingway'? 'Edger' Hoover? The 'soft pallet' of the mouth? 'Blain' county?

Where'd you get this thing?

#74536 - 07/14/09 07:50 AM Re: Welcome [Re: John_Sunseri]
Rick Steele
Unregistered

Huh... That's what I get for not having YOU as my copy editor!

Where do you think I got that thing?

Beyond the spellcheck boo-boos, did the story come off as, a: Interesting, b: informative, c: boring, d: funny, or e: I don't get it?

I was hoping that Dan might also see it and respond, but he's probably too busy doing re-writes to the Hyperion script and chatting things up with his buds, Stephen King, Harlen Ellison, et al.

#74545 - 07/14/09 08:04 AM Re: Welcome [Re: ]
John_Sunseri Offline
CEO of the Hegemony

Loc: Portland, OR
(laughing) Oh, I thought you were passing along what purported to be a real news story. Sorry!

I do give advice on writing, but not on a public board like this. Send me a PM and I'll put you in the queue.

#74636 - 07/14/09 04:00 PM Re: Welcome [Re: John_Sunseri]
Alex4 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Northern VA
Ouch, Mr. Sunseri is cruel. \:\)

@Heath you aren't the guy, it's someone like sdhonda I think? It may or may not be fluency actually, just more knowledge than me. And @JimR I didn't mean Japanese literally, just living in Japan- my B. Most people here live in North America or Europe, I think.

Edit- I re-read your post, Jim, and saw you called me Alex and was confused. Most people had been calling me 'Yhelo' (thus the name change) and I was impressed you saw my signature, then I remembered I'd said, "Alex3 desu." to you and lol'd.

Edited by Alex4 (07/14/09 04:05 PM)

#75171 - 07/20/09 09:29 AM Re: Welcome [Re: JimR]
Heath Offline
enthusiast

Loc: California
Jim,

I left because my youngest son (born in Japan) was born with mild brain damage and needed speech therapy. As you can imagine, finding speech therapy in English while in Japan is not easy.

And besides, it's nice to come back home. When I'm the only Japanese speaker in the family, I have to take care of ALL household needs outside of the house, which is burdensome.

Also, the claustrophobia of living cramped in a Japanese house became very apparent when I bought a very large house on a golf course upon returning to America. I love the space and greenery!

FYI, I would say "jouzu ni hanasemasen," not "hanashimasen." The "se" makes it "cannot" rather than the "shi" for "do not" and the "ni" turns the "jouzu" into an adverb. "I cannot skillfully speak Japanese" compared to "I do not skillful speak Japanese."

Edited by Heath (07/20/09 09:29 AM)

#75187 - 07/20/09 11:27 AM Re: Welcome [Re: Heath]
Mike Grover Offline
enthusiast

Hi all,

I've already posted in a few other topics, but I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Mike (duh!), I'm 40, a husband, a father and I work at a bank. My main interests, other than my family, are music, film, beer and, of course, reading. My first exposure to Mr. Simmons took place last summer when I read The Terror, which I absolutely loved. I'm not sure why I waited a whole year to read another one of his books, but I recently finished Summer of Night and A Winter Haunting, and I thought they were both incredible (my wife is reading SoN now based on my recommendation, and she's loving it, too). Drood is next on my list, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to some great conversations here!

See you around,
Mike

#75189 - 07/20/09 12:57 PM Re: Welcome [Re: Mike Grover]
Fantelives Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mineral Point, Wisconsin
Welcome, Mike. I envy all the wonderful reading that awaits you in your progression through the Simmons canon. Please make yourself at home here.

Chris "Fantelives" Ransom

-editor who passed on my 2nd novel

#75191 - 07/20/09 01:05 PM Re: Welcome [Re: Heath]
Alex4 Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Heath

FYI, I would say "jouzu ni hanasemasen," not "hanashimasen." The "se" makes it "cannot" rather than the "shi" for "do not" and the "ni" turns the "jouzu" into an adverb. "I cannot skillfully speak Japanese" compared to "I do not skillful speak Japanese."

See I ought to memorise that. My "atashi no nihongo wa yokunai desu" is mostly a joke because the grammar is so bad, but I guess it means something like "my japanese no good." I feel like it would be weird if the only sentence you could speak in a language was a perfect "I'm sorry, I can't understand [language]" People might not believe you. Still, those were the first words they taught us. wakarimasen (sp? I think that's it...) and other things like that.

I should learn more japanese, then I could at least speak two languages poorly.

#75267 - 07/21/09 09:49 AM Re: Welcome [Re: Alex4]
Heath Offline
enthusiast

Loc: California
I just hope you're female because "atashi" is very feminine.

When being Japanese-like in modesty, I like to break into an Osaka dialect to tell them how bad my Japanese is. They freak out at the irony.

#75351 - 07/21/09 05:36 PM Re: Welcome [Re: Heath]
Alex4 Offline
enthusiast

Eto.. Atashi no sei wa himitsu desu yo! (Demo, minasan wa... ano... shitte(?) desu. )

That's pretty beast, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference I only know the dialect exists.

edit- my japanese is terrible.

Edited by Alex4 (07/21/09 05:43 PM)
Edit Reason: himitsu... honto nai ? :P

Page 33 of 67 « First<3132333435>Last »

Hop to:

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Home    Books    Curtis on Publishing   Previews    Bio    Bibliography    Snapshots     Foreign News    Reader's Forum    Art